Iceland, my next holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Dear all,
I'm planning my next holiday in Iceland. Last year I was in Northwest Coast, Canada, and was great. I asked some information here and I collected useful hints. So, I'm here again to ask you some advice for the trip, about places to see, time to go (we planned the first two weeks of August, is it good?). Is it possible (and safe) camping?

Thank you for your support

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
In Reykjavik try the hotdog stand in the harbour, or Icelandic fish and chips nearby. The harbour has whale watching trips and some of the companies offer a no-see, free next trip service. Obviously, the whales are migratory so what you could see varies over the year. However, around Reykjavik you'll just pretty much see fin whales. For humpbacks you need to go to up north. In town go to the cathedral and take a trip to the top - you get a great view over the town. It's also worth trying out the coffee shops. Also the museum in town has some really interesting Icelandic saga books. Pingvellir is a bit of a must - it's where 2 tectonic plates are splitting and the home of the oldest parliament - very atmospheric. Further east there's geysir and close by there's some spectacular waterfalls. It's a bit touristy though. Near to the airport at Keflavik there's the blue lagoon. It's a spa and a perfect place to relax after your flight to the country or before you go home. Try the ice creams dipped in chocolate.

Top tips:

It may be sunny, but it's always windy, so a good windproof will bring benefits.
Don't like the weather? Wait 15 mins and it will change. You can get four seasons in one day.
Try brevinin - it's the 'black death' vodka, for soft drinks try Malt.

As you'd expect, food and drink is super expensive so make the most of breakfast in the hotel.

We hired a car which was pretty much essential to get around.

Sign up to an Aurora warning website to get alerts for the Northern Lights - it would be a shame to sleep through them.

Here's hoping you have a great time in what we thought was a great country.

Here's a tourist video that shows some of the sights:

[video=youtube;npawmHVaf-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npawmHVaf-E[/video].
[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE