I went to the ethnic shops today.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Jun17122.jpg

This is a big juniper sausage and something called dry mysliwska with venison. The first was £2.75 and the second £2.81...Im sure they will go down well

Jun17116.jpg

The stuff in the tin is Kraft processed cheddar (from an Indian store, all the rest is from one of our Polish shops) its 113g at 99p (they do a double sized can but Im not sure of the price)

The packets...cherry pudding (like angel delight but made hot...also needs 0.5ltr of milk so it makes loads) and rice pud with apples and cinnamon, made with boiling water in a mug...can you think what a nice brekkers that will make? the cherry pud was 79p but will serve several, the rice was about 45p I think.

I didnt find many instant meals in the indian stores, but there are nice things in BIG tins (catering sized) in the polish store...would make a good meal for a family (and a big tin for a billy can too) they also do a nifty range of Knoor packet soups to suit easter european tastes.

These have extra stickers with english instructions on the back (as do most of the products in fact)

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Poland first, then czechoslovakia, then holland, and then france. Eventually we will rule the ..................
I'm ok the medicine just kicked in.
Tesco do bliny's which are lovely.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I've got a Polish friend who's a great chef so I take him to camp when I can. He's always armed with parsley and cayenne pepper (I think) and vodka of course. Absolutely blinding cook. Everyone should have one.

If you like spicey and hot then big Tesco stores do a range of authentic Indian foods some already cooked in soft packs - Dahls and the like. Easy to heat up and really tasty with a dry fried naan - get the pan hot (no water, no oil) and throw the naan in and keep turning till it's hot on both sides.

Chinese noodles in square packs with a flavour sachet are a brilliant fast-heat, high-carb hit if you're too tired to mess around with cooking or you've got a busy bush day ahead and just want some warm food and energy for breakfast. Very light weight too and only need a small amount of boiled water.

All in all, thank god(dess) for other cultures.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I got some braised eel in brown sauce from the japanese section today. it was lovely. I had it with kanichi flavoured noodles (whatever kanichi is) and straw mushrooms.
The straw mushrooms were horrible. they tasted like when you bite the inside of your mouth. I ate 2 and threw the rest away :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been living gluten and dairy free for the past few months, bit of a pain but it's working wonders. So I found other things to cook :D It's astonishing the sheer range of grains and seeds and legumes that we can eat, that are common in other cultures, and yet we stick to oats, wheat and barley with an occasional foray into the lentils and split peas for soup :rolleyes:

Tesco's have the widest range I've found; Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Polish, Latvian, South American, Jewish, Halal, African.......amazing stuff really :) I was eating Lupin and Amaranth crackers earlier :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've been living gluten and dairy free for the past few months, bit of a pain but it's working wonders. So I found other things to cook :D It's astonishing the sheer range of grains and seeds and legumes that we can eat, that are common in other cultures, and yet we stick to oats, wheat and barley with an occasional foray into the lentils and split peas for soup :rolleyes:

Tesco's have the widest range I've found; Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Polish, Latvian, South American, Jewish, Halal, African.......amazing stuff really :) I was eating Lupin and Amaranth crackers earlier :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

I work a lot with overseas Nurses; my word, their diet does give lend to severe flatulence, how's your doing on your diet? They eat a lot of rice and dried veg and (as my mother would say) 'trump all shift'

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's actuallly been the other way for me.
Long story, the non steroidal anti inflammatories I've been taking for ten years for rheumatoid arthritis have left me with what they euphamistically refer to as a leaky gut. This triggers the immune response which sets off the arthritis which then requires more anti inflammatories.......
No gluten and no dairy = no leaking gut, no painful tummy and no aching joints and no need for the anti inflammatories.

Funnily enough no windy discomfort either :D well, apart from when I eat Chicken of the woods, I love the stuff but it don't like me :( Nothing else in 14 weeks has set it off at all :cool: :D and my diet is incredibly varied, not much dried fruit but I get through a lot of fresh fruit and veggies.
Maybe it's the meat in their diet that mixes with the rest that does it ?

cheers,
Toddy

Jun 24, 2008
france
i have some Ghanaian friends who turned me onto "GARI" porridge ,tinned sardines and "****O" sauce.All available from any African shop . They told me its practically a subsistence food but its tasty and has a wicked chilli punch and dont weigh much at all. Id just carry the dried Gari and the ****o sauce and use it to supplement any fish I could conjure up . The ****o sauce is made by frying down shrimps and chillis into a thick black sauce.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive seen that in a store, I, um, didnt dare buy it.

But it sounds so nice I may next time.

Ill have to explore these stores more. We dont have a chinese but Ive heard rumours there is a Kurdish shop in one of our more obscure precincts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE