I want to run blacksmithing courses in Glasgow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Pretty much as title really guys, wasn't so sure where to post this though.

I'd like to start running blacksmithing courses in Glasgow for Bushcrafters. The plan is for one day courses with 2-3 people. I've enough gear to cover that. Though come to think of it I better make a few sets of tongs.

They'd be making a traditional "Blacksmith's knife" and if time allows a couple of hooks or a flint striker etc etc. That kind of thing.

What do you reckon? I've got public liability insurance that covers teaching adults and the H&S side should be ok in my workshop.
Is there a market for this in Glasgow? Or indeed Scotland in general?

I'd like to hear peoples feedback on this. Perhaps a couple of Glasgow members would be willing to come along as guinea pigs?

All the best
Andy

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I think fire steels would be popular, develop different styles to offer people to make. Knives are always going to be poossible but not sure on time constraints of one day or not. Fire trivets, the folding ones might be popular.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Awesome. I'm all over the place with work and a holiday over the next couple of weeks but will get a date sorted and we can go from there.

I'm off up to Skye on the 23rd then heading to Devon on the 29th. Back to Scotland on the 4th. Not sure what work will be doing after that but we might be able to do something the weekend after the 4th of October. Will get back to you on that.

Glad there's some interest.

All the best
Andy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you can lend me the use of a sofa or a tent sized garden pitch i'd fly up for this.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
If you can lend me the use of a sofa or a tent sized garden pitch i'd fly up for this.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer either just now as I'm currently living with my in-laws. We have however literally just had an offer accepted on a house so hopefully in the very near future that will be doable. :)

All the best
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Right then chaps - how much notice do you guys need?

I'm absolutely all over the place at the minute. Just had an offer accepted on a house. Going on Holiday on Friday. Possibly doing something with the BBC, work, bla bla bla. :aargh4:

But hopefully in a couple of weeks things will have settled down a bit. I need to either make or procure a few more sets of tongs for it too. - Though we might be able to make some blanks on the day if you guys are up for that?

All the best
Andy

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I would also be interested but as the guys have already said - get yourself settled first, you appear to have so much you should prioritise before us! :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers lads much appreciated. It's actually been a remarkably quiet year on the whole but these last few weeks have just been a bit hectic. Just got home from a few days on the Isle of Skye which was awesome. Heading down to Devon tomorrow for a few more days then back up. Filming next Thursday.

All the best
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Coolio. :)

I am however horrifically ill. Woke up with a hangover on saturday which progressed into a fever and the rocket sh*ts.... :eek:

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Currently working on making a few sets of tongs and will build another anvil stand so we can get three on the go at once. :)

getting closer gents.

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
No rest for the wicked, got lots on at the minute but managed to bash out a second set of tongs yesterday. I'll finish them up next week.

Are you first guinea-pigs happy to contribute to the costs of the day?

I'd like to think I'll have the anvil stand and the new gas forge up and running within a week but I've a lot of commission work on the go just now.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE