I want to be a treeeeeeee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
So i have books on identifying mushroom, birds, bugs and lichens but i would like one for trees as well.

I don't know my tree's as well as i should and i've just moved into a new house with some very interesting looking trees with lovely bark and i have no idea what they are!

Any recommendations for tree ident books please!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have this one and it's great:

"Field Guide to the Trees and Shrubs of Britain" from Reader's Digest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shrubs-Brit...2180/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339504829&sr=8-2

What is great about it for a beginner (like me also) is that you can find a leaf and then home in on type really easily due to the way the book is arranged. If it is a round leaf, oval, triangular, palm shaped etc then there is a classification to start from.

I used it last week to ID a smooth leaved elm and I had no idea such a tree even existed.

You can't go wrong with it I reckon.

Last edited:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Here here on the Collins Complete Guide to British Trees one (that whole range is execllent). Easy to find for a fiver or less. But if you're looking at an ornamental variety (which may be the case with a tree in your garden), there aren't too many of those in the Collins. I've got a large variety of tree ID books, and I find that most tree ID books cover the most common and are a good start, easy to pick up from charity shop for a few squids.
The next tree book up in Collins range, Collins 'Tree Guide' comes highly recommended - beautiful book but not so useful if you want an easily portable Tree ID book for the field!
Same goes for Roger Phillips 'Trees in Britain, Europe and North America' - Brilliant for it's Leaf photos but a bit big for the field unless you're off out Tree IDing, the whole Phillips range is great.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm another Collins guide user, although I also have a Dorling Kindersley one. I find it useful to have two books for comparison and because one book might give a bit of information that the other lacks.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Probably a bit late for the OP but The Works are doing the Collins Guide to British Trees for £3.99! That's not the little gem one but the bigger one that's usually £16.99. Picked one up today.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE