I think I want a Puukko........

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Evening all,

I think I want Puukko type of knife, something that is very usable and beautiful!

All my current users are full (3mm+) tang and fancy something a little different and possibly a little lighter/thinner(?) to play out with for a while.

Any Puukko fans give me any pointers and recommendations please?

I suppose I am thinking of a production knife without paying the earth as I'd likely need to get a lefty sheath made up too.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
That's one that I've had but traded and now WILL get again.

Marc, I've been using the Finnish wood jewel pair as per the same as the 3 inch of your pic and love them.
Also have that 3 incher.

I take a large in glove sizes if that helps.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you could try one of mine...:)

5c28fd0a-91f1-6c65.jpg

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Thanks Red,

Yup im as cheap as a production because its only a hobby. Unfortunately i dont have the time at the moment to make any knives. currently making one that taking me an age due to lack of time. wouldnt not want to commit again until i get more time.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
Depends on your budget.

I can recommend the following factory brands for direct experience: Ahti, Iisakki Järvenpää, Kauhavan Puukkopaja, Paaso
All four are good value for the money and Ahti is the best for fit and finish.

If speaking of half custom ones I can recommend swedish maker Kimmo Sorvoja, owner of Gänsslöjd. His webpage is down but you can contact him by mail.

If you want a custom one you can drop a line to him
http://www.hurttilanpaja.suntuubi.com/?cat=1
http://www.hurttilanpaja.suntuubi.com/?cat=10

Pasi is a full-time blacksmith and a part-time wilderness guide with 10 years of experience on both subjects. Great guy to deal with, precise in explenation and very skilled craftman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE