I Think I have a problem

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
point is what do you use and what is just duplicate replacements that you just can't part with. Then you have a problem,,,, or stuff sacks out of cuben to save 8 grammes at a cost of,,,,, . if you use the kit its fine.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
There are far worse vices, I am sure. Innocent fin and it creates jobs, whats not to like ?
mine occupies a spare bedroom, a couple of wardrobes, a shed and there's plenty more scatted around the house.
Enjoy it !

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
You'll know when your in trouble when the wife kicks you out and you set up all your kit in the back garden in the middle of winter and when she comes out and says don't be stupid after a few months lol.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I wish I only had that amount, because the loft, spare room, shed, bedroom just isn't big enough, oops forgot the garage!

all I can say get therapy NOW, before it takes over completely

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
truthfully speaking, and by god I'll put some noses out of joint here, pull in that psycoloogist Elen Saltzer. It probably has shades of not being completley comfortable oot doors, a lack of insight into the activity and environment, a bit of boredom, a want to try new toys, feeling a bit insecure in the environment, and not being satisfied with the environment. Travel light freeze at night can only be got out of one way travel a little bit heavier.

Fun toys for you to buy .

1) bow and arrow
2)fishing kit
3)catapult
4)fire griddel

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
You forgot a bolas.:)

truthfully speaking, and by god I'll put some noses out of joint here, pull in that psycoloogist Elen Saltzer. It probably has shades of not being completley comfortable oot doors, a lack of insight into the activity and environment, a bit of boredom, a want to try new toys, feeling a bit insecure in the environment, and not being satisfied with the environment. Travel light freeze at night can only be got out of one way travel a little bit heavier.

Fun toys for you to buy .

1) bow and arrow
2)fishing kit
3)catapult
4)fire griddel
5)bolas

edit:

I prescribe a large dose of more stuff !

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I would say your main issue is organisation,tidy up man :)

I have gone in the opposite way this is all my kit after about 4 years of whittling it down.

2yga9una.jpg

This photo is missing 1 dossbag and one tent.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I reckon Tank has it about right. Don't get me wrong, I love gizmos and shiny things as much as the next bloke and am guilty of kit hoarding purely on the basis that it's a 'nice thing' or a lovely bit of shiny techie gear. But bushcraft skills are about what you can get away with NOT carrying.

Everything else is just living outdoors/ in the woods as comfortably as the kit you're happy to carry will allow. Nothing wrong with that either in my opinion, it's just the more kit you carry the further from 'bushcrafting' you get and the closer you are to what I would call 'rough camping'. Keep going up the scale, through 'normal camping' and eventually you end with a trailer full of camping gear including an 8man mansion of a tent that has a carpet, a seperate porch, and a fridge. Nothing wrong with that either. Some of us occupy various points on the scale at various times, sometimes I bushcraft, sometimes I glamp.

Jim

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I reckon Tank has it about right. Don't get me wrong, I love gizmos and shiny things as much as the next bloke and am guilty of kit hoarding purely on the basis that it's a 'nice thing' or a lovely bit of shiny techie gear. But bushcraft skills are about what you can get away with NOT carrying.

Jim

Granted - but then you need kit for different environments, climates, elevations, crafts, activities etc that come into your bushcraft skills adventures :)
I would need a lot more than a pot, a knife and a cheery smile for a months canoeing through the Canadian Wilderness, a weeks exploring in the desert or a fortnight at the Moot!
It ain't all stuff you need to buy - a great deal of my kit is stuff I have made myself and the tools to make more things for myself!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Granted - but then you need kit for different environments, climates, elevations, crafts, activities etc that come into your bushcraft skills adventures :)

True, my kit is set up for me and what I have time to do, and that is meet up with mates and spend a night around the fire enjoying the conversation, food and drink. I am no bushcrafter, just enjoying being in the outdoors. You dont need much kit to do that.

Last edited:

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I would need a lot more than a pot, a knife and a cheery smile for a months canoeing through the Canadian Wilderness, a weeks exploring in the desert or a fortnight at the Moot!
It ain't all stuff you need to buy - a great deal of my kit is stuff I have made myself and the tools to make more things for myself!

Fair point John, about the differing kit for various climates. If you're lucky enough to genuinely need those different set ups I'm quite jealous! :)
I think I was more meaning that the more bits of kit we buy to do various jobs for us, the fewer 'bushcraft' skills we need to employ. It doesn't eliminate them altogether, just reduces or changes them. We still have to employ skills, just more camping skills than bushcraft ones. But this is all a bit of a pointless point anyway as it's all just about getting out into the wilds and woods to enjoy them however and with whatever kit we may want. It's all good! :)

As for tools, well that's a different story altogether! No one can have too many tools. Fact. I have a basement, shed and garage full for various disciplines from mechanics through DIY to landscape gardening! and I'm building a cupboard full of craft tools like spoon knives and leather working bits for more bushcrafty fun. That will never end!

Jim

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fair point John, about the differing kit for various climates. If you're lucky enough to genuinely need those different set ups I'm quite jealous! :)
I think I was more meaning that the more bits of kit we buy to do various jobs for us, the fewer 'bushcraft' skills we need to employ. It doesn't eliminate them altogether, just reduces or changes them. We still have to employ skills, just more camping skills than bushcraft ones. But this is all a bit of a pointless point anyway as it's all just about getting out into the wilds and woods to enjoy them however and with whatever kit we may want. It's all good! :)

As for tools, well that's a different story altogether! No one can have too many tools. Fact. I have a basement, shed and garage full for various disciplines from mechanics through DIY to landscape gardening! and I'm building a cupboard full of craft tools like spoon knives and leather working bits for more bushcrafty fun. That will never end!

Jim

My tool list is growing ... sewing tools, leather working tools, knife-building tools, forging tools, woodworking tools ... all feeding the bushiness!
I am lucky in that I have travelled over quite a bit of the globe furthering my bush (and general outdoor) habit but I also get out all year round in Britain ... which in itself needs a variety of kit and clothing from decent thermals to good suncreme!
As part of my bushcraft I canoe a bit, so there is more kit and I like to play at primitive lit bushcraft (a bit like the Boone Challenge) so I have my canvas tarp and blanket roll stuff as well as my "normal" tarps and sleeping bags. Often I organise meets, so I also provide group shelters - 'chutes and big tarps join the list, teaching kit of knives, various axes and hatchets come along, I keep my van filled with basics... in case I break down away from home or just decide on the spur of the moment to stop out ... the amount of kit grows and grows.
I do not think I have any gear that does not get used (except stuff I have acquired as an investment - such as Ventile Jackets that I have acquired at the right price and which will await the day that my current ones wear to the point of needing replacement) but some only gets used once in a long while :).
I can go on a night out with no more kit than can fit in my pocket or run a course for a dozen folk (providing they bring their own doss bags and KFS) or I can go mid weight ... it all depends on what I plan to do - but with the kit mountain I own - I can chose the most appropriate set up :)
I could never carry ALL my bushy gear to a woodland spot in one go - but I have the choice of what I take to give me the experience I am after :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Keep going up the scale, through 'normal camping' and eventually you end with a trailer full of camping gear including an 8man mansion of a tent that has a carpet, a seperate porch, and a fridge. Nothing wrong with that either. Some of us occupy various points on the scale at various times, sometimes I bushcraft, sometimes I glamp.

Jim
Just taken delivery of a 7m (yes you heard right!!) canvas bell tent.Looking for some nice Persian carpets to pimp it up a bit now.:camping:
May have to ship it down to the Moot if we get chance.
Cheers, Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE