I spotted a bargain :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thought it a good idea for a fresh thread, especially since Christmas is coming up and some of us are struggling to find decent presents for menfolks :rolleyes3:

Lowe Alpine caps. Absolutely excellent bits of kit. Bargain price from this fellow, but only in Large.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good spot. I have one but stopped wearing it when I realised the peak only served to direct cold wind onto the exposed lower forehead/ between the eyes. Couldn't position it to stop the effect and it felt like brain freeze!!! Back to woollie hat after that. Pure wool too.

I got a hat for a couple of quid 20+years ago and it's no longer itchy but rare warm. I'm walking along in winter with unmelted snow on my hat because it insulated so well. Was best part of half an inch thick though and too warm outside of Winter.

Mountain hats and their clones are a very good choice in winter though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good spot. I have one but stopped wearing it when I realised the peak only served to direct cold wind onto the exposed lower forehead/ between the eyes. Couldn't position it to stop the effect and it felt like brain freeze!!! Back to woollie hat after that. Pure wool too.

I got a hat for a couple of quid 20+years ago and it's no longer itchy but rare warm. I'm walking along in winter with unmelted snow on my hat because it insulated so well. Was best part of half an inch thick though and too warm outside of Winter.

Mountain hats and their clones are a very good choice in winter though.

I have to admit that I have never had that problem with mine, and I've been wearing them for over twenty years.
The peak is adjustable, maybe you need to tweak the peak :)

I find the Mountain cap warm, it's cosy, it fits close enough not to blow off yet it isn't sticky sweaty. It's waterproof, it's windproof and the peak keeps the rain (and snow, sleet and hail) off my face. It also cuts the sunglare a bit too. It's the only hat I know of that deals with outdoors all day long in attrocious weather, as well as being comfortable in cold crisp and sunny.

Each to their own though.

I thought it was a very good thing, and I know half a dozen other folks who wear them and think so, so I posted the link.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have an L among the collection. It's 'roomy' on me even with long hair pinned up underneath it.
It's not massive though.
The shaping is good, it really is, on these caps.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have to admit that I have never had that problem with mine, and I've been wearing them for over twenty years.
The peak is adjustable, maybe you need to tweak the peak :)

I find the Mountain cap warm, it's cosy, it fits close enough not to blow off yet it isn't sticky sweaty. It's waterproof, it's windproof and the peak keeps the rain (and snow, sleet and hail) off my face. It also cuts the sunglare a bit too. It's the only hat I know of that deals with outdoors all day long in attrocious weather, as well as being comfortable in cold crisp and sunny.

Each to their own though.

I thought it was a very good thing, and I know half a dozen other folks who wear them and think so, so I posted the link.
It was a good thing and one I used a lot when younger. University group trips to highlands, winter snow slog in north York moors, etc. Real blizzard conditions. Later on I couldn't get it right. It was those years we had really long, cold spells in the lakes. Also, as someone with a big head I got the larger size and still had to cinch it right down to keep it on. Perhaps it's too big but the smaller size didn't fit without feeling tight.

Still a very good hat for anyone who finds it suits. They certainly age well mine is nearer 30 years old than 20 but it's still almost new looking.

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Only 4 left now. I am tempted, but only in a large size, I'm not sure if it will be big enough.
I got large and I'm something like 60 or 7 5/8 I think. Tilley measuring strips say I'm tres exceptionelle!! A very good judge that strip. :D

Btw mine is cinched down well with the rear strap. A bigger head than mine could fit in it easily.

Actually if they do xl size then perhaps I've got that if so it's possible I could go down a size anyway. Mine is with the strap as tight as it'll go and it's still a bit loose could you try and return?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Good winter cap, I already have two.
One I lost and another I bought to replace it.

Obviously I found the first one after I bought the second.
<Facepalm>

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:whistling:

Uhuh :shameful:

I now have a purple one and a grey one.
I left/lost the first one in the Lake District and thought it long gone.
Went back down to dig months later, and the local farmer had found it and kept it for me :cool:
They wash up really well :)

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Big clumpy boots for winter, Yeti gaiters, plus other stuff

I was looking for some winter snow boots, spotted this lot and ordered, turned up quickly with very good comms. Extra 10% off as well using CHILLY10

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good shop, got a bit of ski clothing from them and they were helpful when my ski jacket got mis delivered two weeks before Xmas and our ski trip. I had 10 days to wait before the courier would accept the loss then it turned up a day after that. They had the replacement bagged up, ready to go once the claim with the courier could be put in. Good customer service is often how helpful a company are when things go wrong not when they go right. Things will always go wrong eventually.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you Toddy, for my super cool new winter look.:eek: I cannot believe you beat me in enabling and got me pressing the buy button.:banghead:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know those perishing cold first and last dog walks ? The ones where you shiver and wish the blooming dog would just hurry up and do it's business and let everyone get back home ?
The grey wet cold days and nights ? The hat's brilliant, it really is :cool:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Y'know those perishing cold first and last dog walks ? The ones where you shiver and wish the blooming dog would just hurry up and do it's business and let everyone get back home ?
The grey wet cold days and nights ? The hat's brilliant, it really is :cool:
You've given me a good reason to dig my cap out again. That last trip out where the dog spends more time standing still looking around for 5 to 10 minutes with one front paw up in its "I'm hunting" mode, sniffing to see who's about (cats). I'm standing around getting cold in winter. I think that's the real reason she wants out, her double coat is a bit too warm with the heating on.

How have you nodded yours? They come with those tie down loops on the ear parts. Did you put a wind cord on? A few clones added the cord which I thought should have come with the hat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Paul_B

Mine never felt like they needed modded. I just pull it down snug and tighten up the wee strap at the back and it's stayed on through gales and blizzards just fine. I don't like the peak tucked up and studded out of the way though, the cap feels looser somehow when I do that.
I do like the comfort of it over my ears and the side of my face, I like that it keeps my brow warm too.

It surprised me how comfortable I found the mountain cap because I'm usually an advocate of good wool.
Maybe it's a case of if it fits properly then it's a really good thing ?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had mine blown off once even with the ear flaps down. I've had to tuck the peak back a few times to keep it on too. They're usually days where you're likely to be flat on the ground during bad gusts in exposed areas. Never liked those days when in them but great afterwards. Character building!!!

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I got large and I'm something like 60 or 7 5/8 I think. Tilley measuring strips say I'm tres exceptionelle!! A very good judge that strip. :D

Btw mine is cinched down well with the rear strap. A bigger head than mine could fit in it easily.

Actually if they do xl size then perhaps I've got that if so it's possible I could go down a size anyway. Mine is with the strap as tight as it'll go and it's still a bit loose could you try and return?

Cheers Paul. My head is about 62cm 7 7/8s by Tilley standards. Plus I don't actually need the hat, as I have plenty of alternatives. Nevertheless it is a good price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE