I spotted a bargain :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Good spot. I have one but stopped wearing it when I realised the peak only served to direct cold wind onto the exposed lower forehead/ between the eyes. Couldn't position it to stop the effect and it felt like brain freeze!!! Back to woollie hat after that. Pure wool too.

I got a hat for a couple of quid 20+years ago and it's no longer itchy but rare warm. I'm walking along in winter with unmelted snow on my hat because it insulated so well. Was best part of half an inch thick though and too warm outside of Winter.

Mountain hats and their clones are a very good choice in winter though.
I get this too sometimes, so for very windy/ cold conditions I wear a fleece hat underneath. Toasty goodness! In warmer conditions, a thin liner hat for use under helmets might work better.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Y'know those perishing cold first and last dog walks ? The ones where you shiver and wish the blooming dog would just hurry up and do it's business and let everyone get back home ?
The grey wet cold days and nights ? The hat's brilliant, it really is :cool:

So, wear it in the dark or when the weather is so terrible nobody is likely to see me. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I couldn't wear another hat underneath, I'd cook.

Have you tried just pulling the hat down a little further to cover your brow ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had mine blown off once even with the ear flaps down. I've had to tuck the peak back a few times to keep it on too. They're usually days where you're likely to be flat on the ground during bad gusts in exposed areas. Never liked those days when in them but great afterwards. Character building!!!

I think your hat's too big :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So, wear it in the dark or when the weather is so terrible nobody is likely to see me. ;)

:D

More just that it's the most comfortable hat I've found to wear when it's cold, miserably wet and windy :).....and hanging around when tired and the dog's being a pain, just adds to that.

Reactions: Nice65

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think your hat's too big :)
I got the smallest size that fitted me without feeling tight. The size below felt tight, this one loose unless you cinch the rear strap as far as the hook and loop closure allows. It seems there's something different about the fit between them such that neither was fully satisfactory. It's like some brands have a jump in leg length as you go up the waist measurements. Makes the fit different.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's an outdoors writer and gear tester of good reputation IMHO who used to rate the mountain cap and another hat, toque style called Windiush IIRC. That was a synthetic fibre, fleece hat I believe with a windproof design. I think that's his really cold weather hat, as in winter Yellowstone. It had a kind of point to it. If the mountain cap has an unfashionable look this is even worse!!

Personally mountain use isn't a fashion parade for me but it is for some.

Reactions: Toddy

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I like a hat for more than just mountain use - if I have stuff, I use it all the time. Obviously not everything but when I can. Seems silly to save it for occasional occasions.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
:D

More just that it's the most comfortable hat I've found to wear when it's cold, miserably wet and windy :).....and hanging around when tired and the dog's being a pain, just adds to that.

I’ve got a Mad Bomber rabbit fur Uncle Buck style M. The one time it really proved itself as the ultimate head gear was in 2010. You know, sometimes looking a bit of a prat is the least of it. I was surveying powerlines on the top of the South Downs, Old Salisbury hill and it’s surrounds in a blizzard and howling wind and was the only one of us that got back to the truck smiling. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s the only reason I’ve never bought one - I know that functionally they’re great but I just can’t get past the look and know the wife will not allow it!

Nothing like a nice quiet walk on your own sometimes eh? ;)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like a hat for more than just mountain use - if I have stuff, I use it all the time. Obviously not everything but when I can. Seems silly to save it for occasional occasions.
Personally I'm the opposite. I'll have kit for the use. I might wear outdoor kit as everyday wear but I use a separate set of clothing for active outdoors use. I guess higher performance clothing for hill use and good clothing but designed for less demanding activities for casual use. I've got wool fjellraven hat for casual and another for hill use where I might be more sweaty. One a mix of looks and function but the hill one is simple function. It's warm but basic black wool knit. I don't like active = sweaty use in casual use clothes even if they are also designed for it.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I guess I’m lucky in that I find myself comfortable in lower performance clothing in even in tougher conditions. I don’t get too hot, too cold, too sweaty, etc with the kit I buy and so don’t need to waste money on more expensive kit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's cold, wet, miserable, and I'm wearing a cagoule....that matters, I'm female, if I'm wearing a frock and nice jacket or coat, then no, I'll not be wearing this bunnet....then the mountain cap is my 'Hat', regardless of what time of year it is. It doesn't need mountains, it doesn't need dark o'clock, it just needs inclement weather for me to find it, wear it and be comfortable :)
In the scheme of things this bargain (and it is a bargain, I paid £27 for mine around twenty years ago) is worth a look, because if the quality still holds, then the hat will still be serviceable, after a tremendous amount of use, twenty years from now.
It's is one of those totally never going to give a damn if it's the latest 'cool' fashion garment. It just is 'the hat'.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If it's cold, wet, miserable, and I'm wearing a cagoule....that matters, I'm female, if I'm wearing a frock and nice jacket or coat, then no, I'll not be wearing this bunnet....then the mountain cap is my 'Hat', regardless of what time of year it is. It doesn't need mountains, it doesn't need dark o'clock, it just needs inclement weather for me to find it, wear it and be comfortable :)
In the scheme of things this bargain (and it is a bargain, I paid £27 for mine around twenty years ago) is worth a look, because if the quality still holds, then the hat will still be serviceable, after a tremendous amount of use, twenty years from now.
It's is one of those totally never going to give a damn if it's the latest 'cool' fashion garment. It just is 'the hat'.

M

“The” hat is a Tilley Wanderer with some Nikwax proofer on it. However, the Lowe Alpine arrived this morning, fits a treat, and has kept me warm and dry in today’s torrential rain. I did have to pull my hood over it because the rain was running off, and that’s where a brim is handy, but all in all it’s good. Wouldn’t pay the full whack for one, but happy with it at the price. Cheers. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You'll thank me again when it's freezing cold and windy :) and it was a very good price for it, wasn't it ?

M

You know me M, I probably won’t.:lmao:

Also, I put it on and Madam said “Oh, that’s a nice hat, cool.” This is akin to having your mum buy you a navy blue woolly jumper and telling you it suits you while your schoolmates snigger behind your back. :D

In all honesty, it’s probably a more comfortable and practical thing than the Ray Mears possum or a Varusteleka merino wool hat, both of which are dear to me in the cold and most rugged and manly. These days I care not what it is that keeps me warm and dry.

Reactions: gra_farmer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE