I say budget, you say knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
£100?

Stainless mora/ hultafors.

Robust hultafors knife - the green one!

Id be taking the axe too, though if you find yourself without it then a large knife really does have it's place in those circumstances.
Will you be taking a folding saw?

Andy

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I thought the OP was going on a hunting/fishing holiday rather than a new job?

I think I got carried away looking at the blog of the bloke working out there thought the OP was doing the same.

One thing I would say is that the US knives like Buck, Benchmade are much cheaper in the states so if you have the time it would be worth stopping by an outdoors store. Also you can find stores that stock a big range quite easlily unlike the UK and its much nicer to buy from a shop and see and feel the goods rather than buying on the internet. I'd save some of the money for picking up a knife out there.

The pictures on that blog have made me start looking into a trip of my own! :)

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Make it look less tactical? The stock MOD knife is already inherently UNtactical looking.
True. I guess I didn't mean tactical exactly... Military-ish is the word I should have used (though I don't think it's a word!)
I find the 3 massive rivets, the big guard, and the oversized handle make it look too much like a military tool. Obviously it is a military tool! :D But I don't want people to think that if they see me carrying one.
I prefer the way it looks with a different handle like the one pictured in the link I posted. It makes it look a lot less military-ish. I'd like to ditch the guard, or at least the back guard too.
Maybe it's just me. I dyed my DPM smocks black for the same reason.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
True. I guess I didn't mean tactical exactly... Military-ish is the word I should have used (though I don't think it's a word!)
I find the 3 massive rivets, the big guard, and the oversized handle make it look too much like a military tool. Obviously it is a military tool! :D But I don't want people to think that if they see me carrying one.
I prefer the way it looks with a different handle like the one pictured in the link I posted. It makes it look a lot less military-ish. I'd like to ditch the guard, or at least the back guard too.
Maybe it's just me. I dyed my DPM smocks black for the same reason.

LOL. No, I understand if you don't want to look too militaryish. It's hard for me to describe the impression I get when I look at an MOD knife though. I like it, obviously. But I think of it (asthetically) more as a cross between a meat cleaver and a short machete (well, at least that's the closest I can come to describing it)

I actually like the big rivets; my one compaint would be the sheath TBH. It looks both militery and cheap.

It's certainly a knife I'd feel comfortable with in Alaska or most anywhere else (did you know that those rivets are recessed into the handle for a reason? Likewise the same reason applies to the wood or other handle material over-shooting the tang?) That reason is so the hand doesn't contact metal in extreme cold climates.

All that said, it might look a bit out of place in Alaska, but I really don't know.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I have this if your interested quality bit of kit. I just use my other knifes so it's sat in a cupboard I have used it once.
razeneja.jpg
3anuva5e.jpg
it's a schrad SCHF9 there's a few reviews on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
my one compaint would be the sheath TBH. It looks both militery and cheap.
Yeah, those things tend to go hand in hand with a lot of the British Military equipment!
I had heard that the oversized scales were for extreme cold climates, though I still have my suspicions that it's just the MOD requesting a handle for as little money possible!
"Our soldiers don't need a handle that fits! They can just wear it down through use."

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
LOL. No, I understand if you don't want to look too militaryish. It's hard for me to describe the impression I get when I look at an MOD knife though. I like it, obviously. But I think of it (asthetically) more as a cross between a meat cleaver and a short machete (well, at least that's the closest I can come to describing it)

I actually like the big rivets; my one compaint would be the sheath TBH. It looks both militery and cheap.

It's certainly a knife I'd feel comfortable with in Alaska or most anywhere else (did you know that those rivets are recessed into the handle for a reason? Likewise the same reason applies to the wood or other handle material over-shooting the tang?) That reason is so the hand doesn't contact metal in extreme cold climates.

All that said, it might look a bit out of place in Alaska, but I really don't know.

It was designs for downed air crew, with Arctic conditions in mind! Its a sabre/scandi grind too so it cuts properly once the factory edge is sorted out.

It comes with a tough but pretty basic left handed sheath. Obviously a side arm was mounted on the right hand side of ones belt when these were issued. As you can see from my picture a quick snip, some sinew, bolts and epoxy and its now a right handed sheath! ;)

My idea regarding the case knives was they cost about £50/$70+ over here (same as a mod knife) but a lot less for you. So buy a few case knives and trade them for a new mod knife! Saves both ends a good deal of money. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....My idea regarding the case knives was they cost about £50/$70+ over here (same as a mod knife) but a lot less for you. So buy a few case knives and trade them for a new mod knife! Saves both ends a good deal of money. :)

There's a thought! Is there that much interest over there for Case knives?

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I'd get a secondhand, but untouched Fallkniven F1, just like the one I'm selling :)

As I'm sure you're aware all single knife setups are built around compromise, but the F1 does tick a lot of boxes. Stainless steel so great for food prep and around wet conditions. Perfect for skinning due to size/grind etc. Lightweight, small and a great/hygienic sheath system. You can also prep your fire/baton etc and even throw a huge spark off the spine out of the box. It's full tang (with exposed pommel) but the handle covers the metal on the sides so isn't as cold to the touch as knives that have exposed metal. There's plenty of great info out there on these knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2013
Portland Dorset
If you are new to using this sort of knife then I would save your penny's for a bit and go for a Mora Companion.They are dirt cheep and you get good quality for your money. Starting price of around £15. For the price and weight of this knife you can take a couple to use and abuse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE