I say budget, you say knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
I can see a rattled cadge........... :)

Lol, a bit.

It's just that I've been using mine in the woods for about a year with good hands on experience and it's treated me well. In this case testing has proved that for my tasks ( in many cases similar to the OPs requirements apart from the fish) it's a good all rounder, I wouldn't have wanted to push a lighter, non full tang blade nearly as hard but that's just me :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Budget. I'm a bit of a knife aficionado. I'll spend a couple of hundred on something I like, but there are some gems to be had for way less. If custom is what you want, then maybe Hillbill or FGYT are your men, I think both have a good turnaround time wise, I particularly like Duncan's work, he has an engineering background and knows his stuff.

In terms of function, I think a Mora Robust will satisfy most of your needs, but personally I'd take 2 of Duncans', one small, one around 5".

Opinel #8 and a Robusta will do all you need though ;)

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
If you've got a chubby for big knives, then good for you. If you feel the need to spend hundreds on a custom copy of the tool you need to make cups of tea and eat ration packs in the woods, then bravo to you!

I'll stick to be a little more practical with my money though. And as much as I carry a metaphorical anorack for good tools, I kind of don't for big knives.. Never have, and the more yanks I see play Rambo the less I will!

Mine was a gift and the parter knife sold for £55.

If you think an esee looks and acts anything like a "Rambo" knife then you know very little about cutlery, blade geometry, toughness, tang design ad ergonomics

I own many knives as well as make my own (and yes, I've even sold a few) in all different shapes and sizes for a number of jobs, but if I can only take one to the wilds my esee style camp knife is my go to, my scandi ground woodlore clone only gets a lookin when I'm carving. For general camp duties and hunting ( I hunt too incidentally) I always reach for the bigger knife.

I'm not saying there are not alternatives, this is just what I use and what I would recommend if I only had one to use.

Copies or second hand versions can be picked up within the price range specified so it's a valid recommendation.

I never use ration pals incidentally, I've always been of the opinion that if you can eat good food then why not.
Last trip out was Sri-Lankan style goose curry, slow cooked over a long fire and tasty it was too!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We always assume that hunters are experts and that whatever tools they use must be the best and supremely adapted to the task.

It's all nonsense really, if people can use sharp rocks to butcher animals for thousands of years and survive, why do we place so much weight between the slightest difference between knives?

People are also just people, some hunters are complete morons, as are some IT people and some politicians and all are ready to dispense advice about the right way to do something. I hope you have a bloody good trip and get a lot out of it. Worry not about the grind of your knife, there will be an old boy out there somewhere expertly butchering away with a knife you wouldn't keep it you found it.

There's a lot of truth to this. But it doesn't take long to figure out which ones know what they're talking about and which ones are just talking. Especially if you're in a group of hunters instead of in the company of just one.

And some people (hunters) choose their knives and other equipment based on what their parents/grandparents used rather than on what's the best available today. But then again, if it works, don't fix it.

Another consideration, don't neccessarily pick what the "expert" picks (assuming he/she is a true expert) After all, you aren't one and probably won't do as well as they do. Rather pick the one that's the most common (agian, assuming, it isn't the most common just because it's the only one available)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you've got a chubby for big knives, then good for you. If you feel the need to spend hundreds on a custom copy of the tool you need to make cups of tea and eat ration packs in the woods, then bravo to you!....

The OP's going somewhere there'll be a bit more real uses than "opening ration packs and making cups of tea." He mentioned processing game; the game in Alaska and Canada is a bit larger than muntjak. Moose is more the size of a small to medium horse.

I do like the earlier suggestion of taking a number of Moras to use and give away. I'd also take a couple of folders (not for processing game per se, but just to always have a knife in your pocket and/or on your belt) My preference would be a one folder such as a two blade trapper or a three blade stockmen (either with a 3" blade for the larger blade) along with some sort of solid lock-blade with a 3"-3.5" blade.

As far showing up with a knife that looks "new" rather than "broken in" don't worry about it. Everybody (locals as well as tourists, professionals as well as amatuers) buys new euipment every now and then.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I'll stick to be a little more practical with my money though. And as much as I carry a metaphorical anorack for good tools, I kind of don't for big knives.. Never have, and the more yanks I see play Rambo the less I will!

And yet you have machetes and an MOD knife. LOL. I'm not criticizing mind you. I have a fair few machetes myself abd I fancy an MOD knife one day as well.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
And yet you have machetes and an MOD knife. LOL. I'm not criticizing mind you. I have a fair few machetes myself abd I fancy an MOD knife one day as well.

Hmm, the MOD rules though, so it doesn't count! And I didn't buy it. ;)

I use my machets regularly, at work and at home..

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Try a Gerber Big Rock Camp knife. Will do all you ask of it (except fancy cuts on fish) and will not cost you an arm and a leg. The last two months I have been carrying a Condor Kephart on hunting trips in two states and it works fine for game processing ect. Check out John Fenna's review on the home page.
Most of the guys I hunt and fish with own Gerbers Bucks and Schraders.
A couple carry BRKT Canadian Specials.Those are about as close to custom as those fellows get.
All would work for you.
It all goes back to how you use your knife and what you are going to use for :)
Have fun finding what works for you

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hmm, the MOD rules though, so it doesn't count! And I didn't buy it. ;)

I use my machets regularly, at work and at home..

You didn't buy it? LOL. My daughter and her finace have been real good at figuring out stuff for birthday/Christmas presents (they've gotten me a Real Deal Brazil Tarp hat, a basha, and 2 separate amateur radios in the last year and a half) Maybe they'll see the MOD knife on my with list too.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You didn't buy it? LOL. My daughter and her finace have been real good at figuring out stuff for birthday/Christmas presents (they've gotten me a Real Deal Brazil Tarp hat, a basha, and 2 separate amateur radios in the last year and a half) Maybe they'll see the MOD knife on my with list too.

I have a Brazil tarp cap! Love it to, even if it smells like cocaine and rice! :)

Are the knives like $80? Still cheaper (and beefier) than a lot of 'survival knives' that get highly recommended.

Wolfman Zack

Sep 12, 2012
US
Not sure of your exact budget, but for what you are describing I would recomend the Fallkniven F-1.

It is stainless (will be an important feature in Alaska), has a comfortable and grippy handle, high quality overall, and the convex edge will work well on both wood and game.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a Brazil tarp cap! Love it to, even if it smells like cocaine and rice! :)

Are the knives like $80? Still cheaper (and beefier) than a lot of 'survival knives' that get highly recommended.

Yeah, around $80 - $95 online is what I've been seeing.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah, around $80 - $95 online is what I've been seeing.

Friggin thing! Grr!

Damn mega post randomly deleted itself.. Point I was try to make was, its a fun knife, one of only a few large ones I've kept or would recommend. Not 100% sure what you'd do with it if you already had an axe/shovel/bum slapper/paddle/cutting tool/spatula or pound of steel but if you did want all of those things in one neat package you'd be pretty entertained! ;)

That's mine ATM, I've tried to make it more user friendly.. And although its not precious it is fun to demolish stuff with it, when the crowbar is too far away! Lol

How much is a case sodbuster in your local store in the US mate?

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
+1 for the MOD knife. It's a brilliant knife for the wilderness. To my eternal shame I dissuaded someone from getting one. :sigh: Now I have one and I love it. It does 99% of what I want a knife to do in the woods. You can make them look less tactical too, almost like large bushcraft knives. I'm sure he wont mind me sharing this, but this is Dreadhead's MOD knife. I really like what he's done with it. (Although mine's pretty much a standard wooden one at the moment.)
http://half-goat.deviantart.com/art/Leather-knife-sheath-283485424

Whatever you take, you're gonna have a great time mate. Can't wait to see some pictures! That guy's pictures you posted a link to were epic!

P.S.
Please, no-one get too philosophical with this post! Posts on this forum get more scrutiny than my GCSE coursework got. The man asked for advice and people are giving it.
No doubt people wiped their butts with leaves for many thousands of years too. Doesn't mean I'm leaving my toilet paper behind.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Cutco Drop Point Hunting Knife or Falkniven S-1 and swisstool or Leatherman wave for repair.​
It seriously if you plan go to Alaska for a big adventure, you need have already experienced to know which knife you need for this trip.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I would take a SAK and a leatherman (if you have it) and a decent tough folder like an EKA 92. I'd be slightly wary of getting to a new job and pulling out a large big old bowie like crocodile dundee.

Then out there at I'd see what people were using and what the local stores stocked and take advice. Then every time you use that knife you'll remember your trip that bit more.

The pictures on that blog look amazing, hope you have a great time.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
We always assume that hunters are experts and that whatever tools they use must be the best and supremely adapted to the task.

It's all nonsense really, if people can use sharp rocks to butcher animals for thousands of years and survive, why do we place so much weight between the slightest difference between knives?

People are also just people, some hunters are complete morons, as are some IT people and some politicians and all are ready to dispense advice about the right way to do something. I hope you have a bloody good trip and get a lot out of it. Worry not about the grind of your knife, there will be an old boy out there somewhere expertly butchering away with a knife you wouldn't keep it you found it.

+1 to this :)

"...Jobs.

Skinning, processing, general hunting use.
Probably get stuck inside a salmon or two too.
Batoning, shelter building
etc…"

Find an old pair of jeans, cut them up and make a tool roll for your self.

In the tool roll you should keep…

A Mora dressing set…
KPwyyVM.jpg

A Sagen saw or something similar…
MaRMwKz.jpg

Rags, wet wipes, bin bags etc. You might also want a seek out a couple of Ikea Dralla chopping boards to line the back of your pack.

On your belt or in your pockets…

A Mora traditional…
XedUPu9.jpg

A Victorinox knife of some type (this is a hunter)
nNyUYkM.jpg

Also in your pack...

An MOD like Samon's…

DSCF4845_zps7c91ff4f.jpg

That should do it. It isn't the single tool you are after but this kit will do a better job and I reckon you could put it together for £100ish if you shop around and pick up some items second hand.

Take a camera, post some pics when you get back.

:)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would take a SAK and a leatherman (if you have it) and a decent tough folder like an EKA 92. I'd be slightly wary of getting to a new job and pulling out a large big old bowie like crocodile dundee......

I thought the OP was going on a hunting/fishing holiday rather than a new job?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
+1 for the MOD knife. It's a brilliant knife for the wilderness. To my eternal shame I dissuaded someone from getting one. :sigh: Now I have one and I love it. It does 99% of what I want a knife to do in the woods. You can make them look less tactical too, almost like large bushcraft knives.....

Make it look less tactical? The stock MOD knife is already inherently UNtactical looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE