I need some advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok, so I have just spent a fortune replacing cheap rubbish equipment I previously had - as it was unreliable and actually sucked!

There is one more item I need, which is a sleeping bag... I suffer from the cold, and I do forest camping as much as possible (when i can find a venue - usually just go on bushcraft courses to do this)... I want a warm sleeping bag, like the Woodlore Eagle one, but is that too big? or will it compress more?

All other kit I am happy with, have some nice boots and other clothing, the Karrimor Sabre 45, billy can etc... (oh and some badass goretex waterproofs)...

I was wondering if anyone here would be up for doing some sort of YOUTUBE vid on packing one of these up, as packing is the bit i really struggle with...

Thanks

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Get yourself a Carinthia Defence 4, it's the current Army issue bag and a fantastic piece of kit (says me having just spent last night in one when it was well below freezing and had to chip ice from the tent in the morning and was toasty throughout ), the stuff sack will compress it a good way, the shell is waterproof but not taped, and it is available on eBay from around £50 if you're lucky

I don't know if this will help (guess it depends on what time of year you are heading out and to what degree you feel the cold.)

I went out and brought a £100 sleeping bag because Im much the same. I brought a Starlight something or other which is meant to go down to comfort -18, but as you can imagine its pretty bulky even when compressed down to the max. You may, from spring to autumn get away with a more standard sleeping bag coupled with a bivvy bag and some hand warmers. Throw a couple of those reusable ones in your bag twenty minutes before you go to bed and it gets suprisingly toasty, I ended up having to stick my arms out the bag to keep cool back in March. Give it a go.

I had the same problem and went out and brought pretty much the thickest sleeping bag I could get my hands on, cost me a small fortune and now I can't use it because it takes up half my pack. What I have done since though is go back to using my old three season bag with some of those reusable handwarmers chucked in ten minutes before I go to sleep. With a bivvy bag over the top it was plenty warm enough for me, of course its no good in the middle of winter, but might be worth you trying if you are on a budget!

Artzi

Oct 31, 2010
Finland
Ok, so I have just spent a fortune replacing cheap rubbish equipment I previously had - as it was unreliable and actually sucked!

There is one more item I need, which is a sleeping bag... I suffer from the cold, and I do forest camping as much as possible (when i can find a venue - usually just go on bushcraft courses to do this)... I want a warm sleeping bag, like the Woodlore Eagle one, but is that too big? or will it compress more?

All other kit I am happy with, have some nice boots and other clothing, the Karrimor Sabre 45, billy can etc... (oh and some badass goretex waterproofs)...

I was wondering if anyone here would be up for doing some sort of YOUTUBE vid on packing one of these up, as packing is the bit i really struggle with...

Thanks

Hi tristansmusic,

I think others on this forum might be better to give you more concrete suggestions which one and where you should buy in UK, but wanted to wrote few things for you to think about. When picking up sleeping back you should also think how you will use it. For example, what you gonna wear when you go in it. Many people feel cold (and blame sleeping bag) cause their underwear does not work well by not removing cold sweat from skin to next layers.

Size also matters, most military sleeping bags are usually quite big ones (one size fits all) and designed also that you can take some gear with you too, but for regular (and skinny) hiker's body their might be just too much room to heat. One good tip is that just before going in, do little exercise to get your pulse up!

Oh and packing ... you will find your way! ;)

Hope this helps,

Artzi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE