i need a traditional flint striker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
hi all, its my buddys birthday an i want to get him a traditional fire starting kit together but i was thinkin if i could get the striker made custom it would be even better.
but im at a loss i dont know anyware that does this type of thing an im not even sure where to start looking.
any help would be good. thanks

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Mine was made by 'A. Finlay'
They sell loads of off the shelf designs from non fancy to sea horse shaped strikers.
The flints and steel come complete with some charcloth and are in a neat little leather pouch

Here is the page you need to look at:

http://www.a-finlay-primitive-crafts.co.uk/flint_steels.html

I don't know these people, so please don't think I'm saying this of their products, but be carefully as some are being imported from the USA that only last a few sparks and then die as they are case hardened mild steel

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Kev.
You are right to advise about some products, as quality in all sorts of outdoor gear can be totally variable, and often has no reflection on the price.

The strikers in the link seem pretty good to me, and I have been using mine every week for nearly a year now with absolutely no problems whatsoever. :)

I did go back to the site to see if I get get any more info for you, but all I can find is that it say he makes his knives and strikers etc, and that the strikers are hand forged. I don't know if that was of any help, but it was all I could see :)

I don't know these people, so please don't think I'm saying this of their products, but be carefully as some are being imported from the USA that only last a few sparks and then die as they are case hardened mild steel

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hi Kev.
You are right to advise about some products, as quality in all sorts of outdoor gear can be totally variable, and often has no reflection on the price.

The strikers in the link seem pretty good to me, and I have been using mine every week for nearly a year now with absolutely no problems whatsoever. :)

I did go back to the site to see if I get get any more info for you, but all I can find is that it say he makes his knives and strikers etc, and that the strikers are hand forged. I don't know if that was of any help, but it was all I could see :)
Had a look & they've got some good gear on there. I think your right they seem to be users and not just to look at

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Kev.
Did you see their Taransay bushcraft course?

I have not been on this site for very long, but that course seems to offer an awful lot for a similar amount to what many posters here seem happy to pay for very little (while providing their own food etc!)!

Either way, all the courses I am looking up lately are charging way more than when I was a bushcraft/survival/outdoor instructor!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE