I need a new backpack and I am looking at the SF sabre 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have heard good things about the Karrimor SF sabre 45 and I am about to buy one with the optional side pockets

are there any others I should consider before I click "buy now"

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
click the 'buy now' button mate. ive had mine for years and its been superb. not really been careful with it and its still going strong. there really isnt anything better for the price IMO.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Crack on!

Excellent pack. Perfect size for all seasons. I find it keeps me from packing things i don't need and wont use.

My only tiny gripe would be the webbing on the front of the pack is useless. I intend to have mine replace with either a pocket or more likely a molly panel. I have seen mod on here somewhere but i cannot for the life of me remember who did it.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Crack on!

Excellent pack. Perfect size for all seasons. I find it keeps me from packing things i don't need and wont use.

My only tiny gripe would be the webbing on the front of the pack is useless. I intend to have mine replace with either a pocket or more likely a molly panel. I have seen mod on here somewhere but i cannot for the life of me remember who did it.

yes. I am not sure what the intended use was for that style of webbing loops but that layout does not look particularly useful. If you want molle then the Karrimor SF predator would be the one to go for. but I don't really want molle and the extra weight the webbing straps add (although they do add versatility ). I am not a big fan of attaching items to the outside of a pack. it either goes into the pack or for immediate access it goes in the pockets.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
M040-Sabre-45-PLCE-Typhon-front.jpg

just to avoid the military look I thought I would go for the typhon pattern and it is a little different. Altough it does cost a little extra

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
yes. I am not sure what the intended use was for that style of webbing loops but that layout does not look particularly useful. If you want molle then the Karrimor SF predator would be the one to go for. but I don't really want molle and the extra weight the webbing straps add (although they do add versatility ). I am not a big fan of attaching items to the outside of a pack. it either goes into the pack or for immediate access it goes in the pockets.

I did look at the predator but I didn't want "all molle" so to say.

Its a great pack and you will not regret it.

Pockets

Jun 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Cracking pack and a great range of side pouches available to suit your needs. I havn't been kind to mine and its still going strong. Like Dwardo said I find it keeps me from packing things I dont need, and the spacious side pouches come in handy for cold weather as you can pack a good deal extra.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can I put in a suggestion for the Exped Lightning 60 or 45 pack. I've never had a pack that's so comfortable and effective at load transfer. I [thread=138101]reviewed it here[/thread].

J

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Can I put in a suggestion for the Exped Lightning 60 or 45 pack. I've never had a pack that's so comfortable and effective at load transfer. I [thread=138101]reviewed it here[/thread].

J

Nice pack but the versatility of the removable side pockets wins it for me

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
[video=youtube;mHNO-6P0WJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNO-6P0WJA[/video]

I had the idea of using cheaper army surplus side pocket rather than the expensive Karrimor SF side pockets. Then maybe I could paint them up to match the main pack better than the DPM or OD colours of the army kit.

has anyone tried anything like this

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
[video=youtube;mHNO-6P0WJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNO-6P0WJA[/video]

I had the idea of using cheaper army surplus side pocket rather than the expensive Karrimor SF side pockets. Then maybe I could paint them up to match the main pack better than the DPM or OD colours of the army kit.

has anyone tried anything like this

You would need to make sure the zips on the side pockets / issue pouches are the same. I know they're different for berghaus.

Tonyuk

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
As a "do all" bag, the SF45 is very hard to beat. I use it without the side pockets for a long day out where I need to carry cooking kit and kit for emergencies, and if I'm out for a night, I use the PLCE pouches. On short days I use the SF30 and longer trips I use the SF75. I'm 6' tall and they all sit really nicely on my shoulders and back and I couldn't be happier with them.

As a side note, it's also worth looking at the PLCE Hydration pack at the same time as this can be used on it's own and also can be carried as well as the PLCE pouch, by clipping the pinch clips together. Also, buy the PLCE yoke, if you're in the field for a couple of days and you just want a small day sack, you can use the Pouches.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Mark I already have the yoke and hydration pack in army issue DPM. I also have a set of DPM side pouches and as it is all compatible it does seem a good option for me.

the only reason I have not ordered on yet is because I cant decide on what colour to get

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
well I went ahead and ordered the sabre 45 in typhon cam with the matching side pouches. I don't think this pattern is a very good camouflage ( I think it is supposed to be for urban night ops) but I just liked it and thought it looked nicer than plain black

if I had gone for a solid colour I would have painted my DPM pouches to match but I would not have been able to match the factory look of the typhon pattern

as for painting pouches ect I had a little play with some old ammo pouches I had. it seems to work well and creates a "distressed" look and might be a good option if you are actually trying to camouflage yourself or if you use solid colours to try and match kit you already own. But paint is fairly expensive (especially if you use multiple colours) so it may not necessarily be a cheap option but it may be fantastic if you want to create something custom.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
well my sabre 45 arrived and it looks very nice so far. I could not get the matching side poutches in the typhon cam but I can confirm that army plce poutches do fit if you had any doubts. my only niggle is I wish it a side mesh pocket that would stop kit sliding out if you used the side compresion straps to attach equipment but that is a small point.
feature-rotation-180-pro-side-mesh-pocket-7868.jpg

the backplate is moldable but can anyone tell me how to do this

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
well my sabre 45 arrived and it looks very nice so far. I could not get the matching side poutches in the typhon cam but I can confirm that army plce poutches do fit if you had any doubts. my only niggle is I wish it a side mesh pocket that would stop kit sliding out if you used the side compresion straps to attach equipment but that is a small point.
feature-rotation-180-pro-side-mesh-pocket-7868.jpg

the backplate is moldable but can anyone tell me how to do this

What's that a picture of? I may be missing something here but that image doesn't look like any sabre 45 I've seen; I'm puzzled, is that a new version I haven't seen?

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
What's that a picture of? I may be missing something here but that image doesn't look like any sabre 45 I've seen; I'm puzzled, is that a new version I haven't seen?

No the picture shows the type of pocket that is not on the sabre but I think it would make a good addition. But I am very pleased with overall

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE