I made some beads

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
56
116
53
Costa Rica
youtube.com
I had salvaged an Oak timber from the old barn on my family's farm years ago. The barn had been burnt down but the original timber was safe in the dirt. It's a shame too because the big old barn had been considered a landmark even before the Civil War, I had grown up playing in it. A few small pieces were brought with us when my family moved to Costa Rica. Yesterday it occurred to me that they would make awesome beads for a lanyard, so I went to work. My tools are limited to a handsaw, grinder and sandpaper but I am super happy with the results. It's crazy to think how long ago that tree was harvested! It makes me happy knowing that I'm carrying a bit of my roots with me out in the field.
IMG-20210919-130343.jpg
IMG-20210919-130400.jpg
IMG-20210919-130350.jpg
 
A very neat job.

Trees can be dated by the rings, as you must know, but also maybe records.

Dad was sorting out some stuff inside and he found;


So, 200 years old.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rockfarm
I had salvaged an Oak timber from the old barn on my family's farm years ago. The barn had been burnt down but the original timber was safe in the dirt. It's a shame too because the big old barn had been considered a landmark even before the Civil War, I had grown up playing in it. A few small pieces were brought with us when my family moved to Costa Rica. Yesterday it occurred to me that they would make awesome beads for a lanyard, so I went to work. My tools are limited to a handsaw, grinder and sandpaper but I am super happy with the results. It's crazy to think how long ago that tree was harvested! It makes me happy knowing that I'm carrying a bit of my roots with me out in the field.
IMG-20210919-130343.jpg
IMG-20210919-130400.jpg
IMG-20210919-130350.jpg

Truly beautiful craftsmanship! Bravo!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rockfarm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE