I made a mess

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
So trying to cook black pudding on my trangia lid/frying pan resulted in this fine mess

kNzsk1KhyA9vQ9KSFM9asAaRUXDy4MDwPbaxASglc5E

Any idea how to clean it or is it a goner?

Cheers

Buster

Last edited by a moderator:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can also try boiling some water with a dish washing soap in it and leave to soak for a while then scrub it off.

What oil did you use for cooking the black pudding with?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It looks like your pan was too hot...and or not enough oil...
Try boiling up some white vinegar in the pan - outside as it stinks!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On Gardeners Question Time the other year someone recomended leaving your pots with welded on food out for the slugs. Their rasping mouths will clean up the pan.
A lot of Trangia pans are terrible for having food stick to them. Really need the oil at the right temperature to stop food sticking.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Would certainly dissolve the burnt bits. Just a pity the ammonia would also corrode the aluminium pan. Using a lye solution would be equally bad for the pan.

Gotcha, havent tried myself, just saw the wife do it just now on some glassware, ta for the warning.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

It was a test cook last night,I dumped it in completely forgetting I had no oil in it,black pudding was very tasty though!
Will try the bicarb bath first and slugs last!
My burner was a eBay special and has no simmer ring,a new burner and a kettle is on my wish list.

Thanks

Buster

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I find that a lot of burned on stuff comes off easily if you soak it in biological washing powder because the bio bit eats the protein part of the food and loosens the stuck on stuff.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It was a test cook last night,I dumped it in completely forgetting I had no oil in it ...

:rofl: I think you got off lightly ... :rofl:

My burner was a eBay special and has no simmer ring,a new burner and a kettle is on my wish list.

Yup, you definitely got off lightly! ;). But, if it helps, I've witnessed trangia pans which looked like scouts mad attempts at pattern welding ;)

Why do you _need_ a new burner? If it's a commercial copy then a trangia (or type) simmer ring might fit it ;) . In a similar vein, the Swede military trangia/svea burner (which is bigger than the civvy version) has no simmer ring but the Tatonka simmer ring is near enough a fit to work with it :D

And, if you get to grips with one, a simmer ring opens up entire new avenues of playing with your food ;)

Even baking on meths ... Civvy trangia, simmer ring, Honey Stove, stainless steel MOD No 2/No 12 mess tin :angel:

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Scrub the pan with an aluminium scourer pad, it'll come up brand new with just a bit of work. Don't use brillo pads since these would scratch the surface and lead to more sticking

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My two suggestions have already been mentioned.

1] Clothes washing powder and leave to soak.
2] leave outside for creepy crawlies to clean.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thats not bad, I do all my washing up with a dremel!

:lmao:

My culinary disasters usually involve smoke alarms, throwing away pans and retiring to the pub while the flat airs out before Suzy gets home.......

I have heard of using ants to clean up stuff but not slugs, would snails oblige too? We got loads round here at the mo'.

Rob.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

So an update,boiling water with fairy didn't budge it all,the baking soda has done an o.k job but I think I need one of those aluminium scrubbers to do the job proper

Iv included pics of my burner,I'm thinking it may be a military one

FglYzPIb-Ke8eO_PwOdh7HiaFXFY5p-t-KAIHl70xPSkh89DZ73Bx2FY7GlSOlMKk3BRE2Te=w1912-h2542

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE