"I live without cash – and I manage just fine "

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As a tax payer i honestly can put my hand on my heart and say, i don't care a hoot.

If the guy can get by without money, good on him.

It's a damn site better than these low life's that haven't worked a day in their lives AND claim a living (sponging) off the state for them and their numerous offspring.
To be honest i can understand why this type of life would appeal to some one, more than someone working for a purposely low wage.

Surely if your THAT ****** off with the government and it's spending plans, you'd move rather than drag yourself and family through a minimum wage living. :confused:

For me i'm semi-retired and do help out other folks as much as i can, who in turn help me out sometimes if needed.
I have private medical insurance though and a private pension, so even though i've paid into various countries tax revenues (and still do) i've never claimed dole, or received any medical attention from any of the national health services.

Be interesting to see how this guy would get on in the states though with their famous health system.
Pretty sure health insurance companies wouldn't accept a dozen eggs a week as payment.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive met too many anti materialists, they all seem to come from well heeled backgrounds for some reason.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Be interesting to see how this guy would get on in the states though with their famous health system.
Pretty sure health insurance companies wouldn't accept a dozen eggs a week as payment.

That, in a nutshell, is my point.

I'm all in favour of people opting out. Provided that they "opt out".

Bear in mind that in the States, if you own a property, and don't keep up the taxes on it, they take your property. Employment status is irrelevant.

If you can't afford health, dental, whatever insurance and are unemployed, beyond basic "medicare"...tough. You sell whatever you own to pay for treatment.

Now I have no problem with that system.

I do prefer our system though (however flawed) where those incapable of work or unable to find work, can still have their cancer treated.

Here is my problem. When people capable of working say " I don't need money or to pay tax"...but use all the advantages conveyed by the majority who do pay tax....they aren't playing fair. Its in effect "biting the hand that feeds you". If you want to live outside the tax regime...do so. Move to a country where there is no NHS, unemployment benefit etc. If you find you have an illness, either pay the thousands (or tens of thousands) it costs to treat it. Or die from it.

If you don't agree with paying tax to fund the NHS, bin collection, police, etc. Fine. Don't pay.

But don't use the services either. Move somehwere with no health services, no protection from crime etc. Somalia? Perhaps Rwanda. See how long you last without any form of tax funded infrastructure.

Of course if you want a tax funded infrastructure and all the benefit that it conveys, well, guess what, you should pay your share.

Red

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
He makes a good argument. It is a tough one. But something that always strikes me when I here that point of view is that it seems as though the people who work and pay taxes don't really want to do that. It's as if the money is the reward for them, and that they'd really rather just lie in in the morning.

I mean, if someone really enjoyed the job they were doing, whatever it may be, then why would they feel so aggrieved??

EDIT: What do you guys think about this essay: The Abolition of Work ?

(It's about a 10 minute read)

Interested to hear what you make of it, and whether or not it could work in this day and age..

http://deoxy.org/endwork.htm

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Red,

Whats your view on folk who work but don't earn enough (through circumstance or choice) to take them over the tax threshold???

they might pay certain taxes like 'road tax' if they run a car etc and 'might' make a NI contribution but if they pay no income tax then they dont contribute to policing, defense, the NHS, education etc etc....

Interested in your view on that....

Cheers

John

Wayland

Hárbarðr

.........................................................................................
Madman.gif

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Surely if your THAT ****** off with the government and it's spending plans, you'd move rather than drag yourself and family through a minimum wage living. :confused:

:)
As far as I am concerned minimum wage living is fine - my needs/wants are limitted (the house is paid for, as is the van and my wifes car) my wife is semi-retired and we have no children). The work I do is stuff I love doing (sometimes is seems sinful to charge for it as it is such fun - teaching canoe skills and Bushcraft skills to enthusiastic clients) and includes work that I feel more interesting and rewarding than any office job I can think of - but is poorly paid (support work for folk with learning disability) and at about 3 stone overweight I am far from starving :)
I get a lot more job satisfaction trying to make peoples lives richer (and I guess that I "contribute to society" as well in the jobs I do) than I would if I was working in a job that just made a rich employer even richer. My magazine work and book writing pay poorly but I enjoy this through the intellectual challenge and the thrills of trying out new kit and passing on skills/information and details of places I have enjoyed walking or cycling.
I guess that goes for my craftwork as well. The work I do/have done on a totally volontary level is just fun for me which as a by-product might benefit others
For me low wages does not equate a limitted lifestyle - I have travelled the world and been paid for it and have more material goods and chattels that I can ever use to their fullest, a warm, safe, home, pleanty of foodd and friends and family that I care for and who care for me.
What more do I need?
Others may have/want more of everything, bigger faster cars/phonescomputers etc and they are welcome to that lifestyle - but it is not my choice :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Johnboy,

I think I made myself clear on those who don't earn enough by circumstance...if you are unable to work, or unable to find work (but are trying), you can have my tax contributions and welcome. Thats the whole point.

If you pay NI, even if you don't pass the income tax threshold, you are paying in on the NHS...so ...fair play.

If you take payment in "food instead of money", or proclaim that "the world does not need money and tax" - whilst reaping all the benefits of the tax that others pay, indeed whilst enjoying a life that would be impossible without the safety and security that other people pay for, then you are at best a scavenger, at worst a parasite.

Screaming "what a bad system" - whilst being protected by the very system you decry is naive and hypocritical in equal measures

Red

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Red,

Thanks for that I'm clear on the following point. If folk are earning ( through choice or circumstance) below the lower tax threshold but are working they are not 'freeloading' on the rest of tax paying society in the UK.

Cheers

John

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hell yes, if you are sick or whatever johnboy, thats why we pay NI.

My beef is with people who trumpet " we don't need money" whilst enjoying the safety and security paid for with other peoples money.

Like I said - go do it in Somalia and show us how its done. Or even on an uninhabited island - that would have some credibility.

Naffing about protected by the police, forces and NHS paid for by others is just living as a parasite on other peoples contributions

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Red,

That's the whole point of society, it's unfortunate but some pay, others don't, some pay lots, others not so much.
I am happy with the fact that my UK NI contributions fund a health service that although is far from as good as it could be or was, still treats those in a less fortunate state.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like i was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, i'm semi-retired at 42 because i didn't buy new cars, widescreen TV's, the latest games console, borrow money or use credit cards.
Mates take the **** now because i have time to do the things i love.
These were the same mates that were taking out £10k car loans, paying back nearly £20k after 5 years then selling their cars to me for £500, they still buy £500 TV's on their credit cards and end up paying back £1500.

So everything i have i have earned (with a few lucky breaks thrown in), STILL i'm happy to contribute so blokes like that can enjoy their life.
I'm sure one day some how somewhere he will also contribute something to society that isn't monetary based.

That's society, it's the same reason i'm no longer allowed guns, because some deranged psychopath carried out one of the most despicable acts of mass murder in our times.
1 sicko spoils it for hundreds if not thousands of honest decent shooting enthusiasts.
It's the same with knives, speed limits and speed cameras, why cannabis and even hard drugs are illegal, and even in our bushcrafting one person out of a hundred can camp and leave a mess and ruin it for the rest of us.

That's the price to pay for living in society though.

What really gets me though are these doley's that have no job, have had no job in years, yet still continue to breed and have even more kids.
I had one on another forum complaining because the council wouldn't give him a bigger house to put his 5 kids (yep 5) even though he is 26 and has not worked a honest day in his life.
These are the drains on society, we are sponsoring these jerks to have kids and the only thing their Dad is teaching them is how to sponge off society and steal cars.

So in comparison to these "sponges" this guy is an absolute angel in my book.

John,
I apologise, i understood that it was a political statement you were making, that's why it seemed to me a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suspect we broadly agree - in principle if not execution.

I guess my point is , if this guy really want to experience a society "without money" - why did he not choose to conduct his experiment in just such a society?

I very much suspect because he knew that his experiment would have failed - and that he could not have fallen back on the contibutions others have made to assure his survival.

Lets, for a moment, imagine the world he espouses. A world without money. Could he turn up at a "tribe" who all contributed some of what they grew, or made, or hunted and say "I would like you to protect me, oh and give me a home, and give me work, from which I wont pay towards you tribes safety and security. Oh, and I would like to point out how stupid your tribe is whilst I do that".

Reckon they would take him in?

Anyway, as I said, when he does it without relying on the safety and security other pay for, I'll read his thoughts after, say, a decade.

The money he despises takes care of sick children, handicapped adults, the elderly and the disadvantaged. Whilst he dodges paying in anything - he is basically saying "I don't care if poor kids on dialysis die. Why should I have to contribute to their upkeep?"

That makes his "pronouncements" on society repugnant to me. Much the same as the takers you refer to.

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John,
I apologise, i understood that it was a political statement you were making, that's why it seemed to me a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
It is a statement I am making - but one that I am comfortable enough to make:)
I have to agree with you about the Dole spongers - I class them with the politicians who cheat on their expences as bigger parasites that the freeloader in the original post :)
These are the folk that I have no desire to earn money for!

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
The money he despises takes care of sick children, handicapped adults, the elderly and the disadvantaged.

Is this the same money that is being cut from these services as we speak, the same money that is being syphoned off into the profits of the Conservatives donors and chosen providers, the money that is being denied to the sick and disabled through incompetent (at best) or malicious use of ATOS. Is this the money that Monsanto is earning by making millions slaves to their seeds across the world. Though profit can and does drive innovation it also encourages greed and ignorance, wilful or not, of the real cost of these actions to others and the planet.

I truly hope that within a few centuries we will have moved on from being slaves to both the powers that be and yes money, I hope there will be a revelation that we can work together as a planet and use technology to create an egalitarian society where each person is free to live and explore life in whatever way they want so long as no harm is done to others. I also believe that in such a circumstance people will show the best of themselves and want to work for the betterment of all.

Either that or those that pursue profit above all else will have damaged the world to the point where human civilisation is thrown back to the dark ages or beyond.

I may have watched too much Star Trek

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I may have watched too much Star Trek..."

Possibly. I was raised on Star Trek, I watched the movie last year, stepped out of the cinema into smoggy and noisy Budapest street and thought "this isn't the future I was promised". :(

As far as taxes are concerned, some folks don't want to fund military adventurism overseas, over-inquisitive intelligence gathering measures, free further education and prescriptions in Scotland, a third bridge over the Forth or a high speed rail link.

However there isn't a mechanism by which one can opt out of paying for those things you are unhappy with other than to pay no taxes at all, which means that you also do not fund the...

"...care of sick children, handicapped adults, the elderly and the disadvantaged..."

...and to do so while deriving some benefit from the taxes paid by others is hypocritical.

Edited to add:

I think that both free further education and free prescriptions are worth paying taxes for, although I'd perhaps tweak the definition of further education a little. :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I truly hope that within a few centuries we will have moved on from being slaves to both the powers that be and yes money,

I think in a few hundred years, money will no longer have any value or meaning, clean water, food & space will be the new currencies.....As for the powers that be, surely those who are better armed & able to hold onto the dwindlig recources will dictate their law. Slavery looks like it going to continue.
To change the future we have to change the present but since that would involve a complete & radical change in our lives & many uncomfortable sacrifices, no one is prepared to even start...We all know where we're headin' but instead of 'slamming on the brakes', we're accelerating.

Sorry, not sure this has any relevance to the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE