I like Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I thought he was trying to kick start his rudder, but it seems he was pushing it down into the water.

b-dscf3549.jpg

He is going to drown.

b-dscf3550.jpg

I suppose telling him to stay near the edge was a bit like red rag to a bull.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I suppose he will stop when he hits the other side.

b-dscf3556.jpg

Some time later.....

b-dscf3560a.jpg

I should have taken scotch for my nerves.

b-dscf3561a.jpg

He thought I was going to get him, so he headed back out.

b-dscf3566a.jpg

He is really proud of the boat he built.

b-dscf3571a.jpg

Im sure his rigging is not supposed to lean over like that.

b-dscf3572a.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Oi ! Ive just lost my really expensive non stretch rope!

b-dscf3603.jpg

Pigging kids.

Still.....

b-dscf3616.jpg

I do like hammocks.

I like ice cream too

Last edited:

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I had been watching the weather forecast for a few days.

I am still not feeling too good, so I need to be careful.

I want the temp above 10C, the wind at 5 to 7 mph with some sun.

It was looking like being mid week.

Mid week the kids are at school.

Ideal opportunity for me to go take the big boat out for the first time since November last year.

Checking the tide tables...Nope. The tide will be out too far.

If its out too far, I cant sail in much of the harbour as the centreboard sticks in the mud.

They have just spent several months dredging it, but they only seem to dredge the main channels and not where I want to go.

I found a perfect day.

I got all my kit out and replaced all the batteries in the radio and gps.

Cant use the electric pump as someone managed to rip off one of the terminals when he fixed it.

Sawed off a 6 pint milk bottle so I could use that to bail if I get a boat full of water.

Not intending to need to bail. Im not feeling well enough, so Im going to make sure there isnt too much wind.

Family disaster.

Spent the whole day chasing my tail.

Irritated.

Starting to check the forecasts again.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Littlest managed to get his boat out twice, but Ive still not had the chance.

Irritating.

Another day showed up on the Met forecast.

Checked the tides...

They were good. 1.5 metres of tide through the time I could go.

Watched it as it aproached. Sometimes, a day five days away is expected to have 6mph winds at that time. However, as it gets nearer and they can see where the fronts are moving, the picture for the day can change.

This one stayed the same.

11pm the night before, it still was 6mph all day, 15C and sunny.

Perfect.

I dragged the boom and sails down. Found my wetsuit and made sure my rear still fits in it, life jacket, spares, hobo stove and hammock in a waterproof bag....all stacked up in the kitchen ready to go in the morning.

Got the kids to help me play musical boats to get them in the right place so we could get the big boat out easily in the morning.

All was looking excellent.

I was getting excited.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I think of myself as a very logical person.

That said, I am also very superstitious.

I also believe in Murphy's Law, when things start to go wrong, anything you do to improve them will just make them worse.

I woke up on the kitchen table early. I immediately checked the weather forecast...

It was to be 7 rising to 8mph, with 14C and sun until 3pm when the wind would rise to 15mph.

It was more wind than I wanted, but I would be back in by 3, as I had the school run. Slightly ruffled, but still ok.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Got the kids to help drag the boat out and load it.

One of my boat boots had disapeared overnight.

Im looking at them...both looking utterly innocent.

Biggest calmly explained that the most likely cause was a Boo monster sneaking in through the letterbox during the night and eating it. No Idea how he can stand there and come out with this stuff and look like he believes it might have happened.

Still, I can cope with an extra 3 or 4 mph, and bare feet.

Loaded up and started out to drop off the kids.

There was this grinding noise as we took off.

Turns out the front wheel of the trailer wasnt quite high enough.

The wheel has a bit ground out of its tyre. It still works, but goes berdunk...berdunk...berdunk....as it fitfully rolls along.

Still, I can cope with an extra 3 or 4 mph, bare feet and a damaged trailer wheel.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Dropped the kids off.

Frantic phone call from the wife. Could I pop in and see her on the way. She cant tell me why over the phone. Told her I was going out with the boat. She tells Step kid who immediately decides he wants to come too.

Dropped in to see her. seems she was worried about her washing machine as she put a trainer in it.

Took an hour.

Still, I can cope with an extra 3 or 4 mph, bare feet, a damaged trailer wheel, losing an hour and gaining some crew.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
He said he would meet me at the slipway...

No worries.

I got down there.

The first launch of the year is always awkward.

All the lines are tangled. You dont get the mast in the right place on the lifter, so you have to have several goes.

The pulleys jam, so you cant get the front sail up, so you have to take the mast down and free it off again.

Discovered I didnt have the wind indicator flag for the top of the mast.

It took me half an hour longer than usual.

My crew still hadnt arrived.

Still, I can cope with an extra 3 or 4 mph, bare feet, a damaged trailer wheel, losing an hour and a half, and waiting for crew.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Half an hour later, I realised that he had changed his mind and wasnt coming.

I launched the boat and dragged the clunking trailer back and padlocked it to the car.

The wind had picked up a bit. Seemed a bit of a lot for 7 to 8mph. The tops of the waves in the harbour were starting to go white.

This is the point when I finally decide if I am going to go out or not.

I thought about it. I felt ok. I can cope with an extra 4 or 5mph, bare feet, a damaged trailer wheel, losing 2 hours and having no crew.

My superstitious bump was screaming at me, but then I am a logical person and usually ignore that warning.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I pointed the boat wher I wanted to go ready to launch, I checked the sails were right, I checked the rudder was down, I checked I had a bit of board down as the wind seemed to have moved direction and was now blowing straight up the slip.

Big shove and jumped on....

The side of the boat was wet, my palm slipped on it and I headbutted the cleats on the thwart as I fell into the boat headfirst.

I managed to keep the boat heading out, untangled myself from all the ropes, found I had a little grazed lump on my forehead, but basically, I was ok.

Still, I can cope with an extra 3 or 4 mph, bare feet, a damaged trailer wheel, losing two hours and getting a lump on the head.

b-dscf3608.jpg

I was in the boat, it was going. It was sunny and I had my hammock and hobo...

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I was trundling along happily.

Noticed the boat seemed to be taking on some water. Not much. Not concerned.

Needed the loo.

Why cant I remember to go before I get on the boat.

Irritating.

Still....

Wasnt that far from the park where there is a toilet block.

Headed for shore.

b-dscf3610.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Headed for the beach.

Im lucky in that I can usually manage to run for the beach and just turn along it at the right time so I can step off into a foot of water.

Well, usually.

This time some idiot had been digging holes in his search for worms for fishing....

I jumped into the hole.

I slipped over, smacked my chin on the side of the boat and bit my tongue.

I kicked the anchor into the beach and dropped the sails muttering and wiping blood off.

One of these days I am going to do something like that without an audience.

Looked like every dog owner had decided to walk along that bit of beach at taht time.

They were horrified as I waddled out of the water bleeding, muttering and soaking wet.

I hurried through them and on to the toilets.

No bog paper.

Grrr...Mine was in my response pack on the boat.

No mirror. Cant see how badly Ive cut my tongue. Its still bleeding.

Wandered into the cafe and ordered a coffee so I can complain about needing the loo again and a pie.

The girl in the cafe sort of cowered behind the till like she though I was a murderer.

Wsnt until I was heading back to the boat that I realised I was covered in mud and bits of seaweed, dripping with water with blood all over my chin.

I suppose she had reasong to be worried. lol

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The wind had calmed down again. the sun was out and it was a nice day.

I found my mirror in my pack, had a look at my tongue, it had just about stopped bleeding.

I washed off my face in the sea and sat and had lunch.

I noticed the boat was sailing a bit peculiar onthe way in.

The main sail was tight down the back edge and really baggy in the middle. Decided the sail was probably not stretched far enough along the boom and decided to adjust it as I sailed off.

I was out, I had had some lunch, I still had plenty of time, I was a bit sore, but happy.

b-dscf3611.jpg

You can just see the bag in the middle of the sail in that pic.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Time to go find some trees on the other side to sprawl in my hammock with some hot chocolate.

I raised the sails, pushed the rudder down, pointed the boat and jumped on...

Carefully !

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I clambered in and pulled the sail back along the boom.

I struggled a bit as it seemed to be jammed. I put it down to me not using it for a while.

I unrolled the front sail and pulled in the anchor.

Er....

It was sailing horribly.

Sussed it.

I forgot to put the rudder down.

So,

There was me laying across the back deck hanging head first off the back trying to get the rudder down...

The rudder wouldnt move, then it went.

So did I. I sort of slid off the back and was hanging on with my feet on the steering arm and my face in the water.

I decided it is difficult to breathe with my head underwater.

Stupid poxy boat! It could have put its own rudder down.

Eventually I managed to wriggle back on.

I was sort of on the side still spitting out water when there was a huge BONNNNNGGGG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE