I just wondered how many of you........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
........have at least a years worth supply of food stored?

I have. But the 7 other closest family members have not. So I'd only have enough for a couple of months really.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe 3 weeks worth of meat in the house, slightly less in veg. It's time to build up the hurricane stocks for the season though, and luckily the Commissary is having a case lot sale on Eglin A.F.B. Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, so I'll stock up pretty cheaply.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice. Wish we had those resources over here.

The Commissaries are restricted to military shoppers only (active duty, National Guard or Reserves while on active duty, and retirees; plus dependents of the previous) I spent 21 years in uniform to get those shopping privileges. The everyday price in them is their cost plus a 5% surcharge to fund store maintenence but they're exempt from all state and local taxes.

A civilian counterpart would be one of the big membership wharehouse type stores (although they do charge a slight profit and are subject to taxation.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'd say that taking into account everything i have that i can eat in the house i have a week and a half-ish worth of food. A years supply would be far more than i could store. I'd be lucky to fit a months in.

Tonyuk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For dry goods (rice/pasta/flour) and packaged things, I could do 6 months, easy.
Only 2 x 20lb propane tanks and I know they aren't full but maybe 4-6 weeks of hot meals there.
If the power stays on for the meats in the freezer, I'm sure I could spin it out for a year.
Just replaced stocks of maybe 20 of my herbs & spices with fresh, so variety of tastes is good to go.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have a supply for maybe two months of survival. As I can fish and hunt I can stretch this supply a couple of months longer.

Liquids for about 2 months too. Flavoured bottled water, beer and wine.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe the real deal is to look to our collective past, under sail. Citrus and Vitamin C, or lack thereof, will be our undoing as scurvy.
Maybe the right thing to do is to stash a year's vitamin pills which can (potentially) alleviate dietary shortcomings.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Vitamin D if you live in bleak UK is more important
Today we know about Vit C and where to source it from. They did not in the past, not in UK anyway.
In Scandinavia we were eating rose hips to prevent scurvy at least before Viking age.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE