I have no idea how to describe this stuff/fluff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did the messages today; six bag loads of groceries and in among them was a jar of Fluff.
It says it's 'gluten free, vegetarian' and a marshmallowy stuff for spreading on toast.
I thought, "Himself will like that :) and Son2 can eat it as well", and for under a quid I bought it.

It's absolutely revolting. I haven't a clue what the hang it's supposed to be. It's like the insides of a Tunnock's teacake gone so badly wrong that it ought to have been flushed. It's sticky, sickly sweet, no discernable flavour and it's sitting there in it's jar looking all white and shiny and toxic.

Marshmallow Fluff ? conjures up an image of some light and airy confectionary concoction, doesn't it ?
Not oozing thick white slime.

Also bought a jar of ChristmasCandyCanes…..nice glass jar :) but the canes taste really weird, like mint mixed with pine or the like. Made in China :rolleyes: They'll do for decorating a tree somewhere, but they're not very edible I reckon.

I know I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but this lot has put me right off.
Where's the marmite peanuts ? :D :D

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Christ on a bike that sounds evil Mary.

Roll on the marmite chocolate. I am not one for chocolate normally, but my lass bought me some marmite chocolate as a gag a year or two back (I love marmite) - it was stunning - as were marmite cashews and peanuts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
SWMBO quite likes it. They do different flavours but it's too sweet neat for me too. Can just about take it on toast with crunch peanut butter.
There's an American food store in Perth which has some goodies but also some awful things. But i suppose every culture throws up disgusting things ... Like Twiglets® :eek: (Dry boak).

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had some vague idea that it might be good for taking in the cook box when camping heavy…..not a hope in hell it's going in mine :yuck:

Honestly, I haven't a clue what it's supposed to be. It's just sticky, gluey, gaggingly sweet 'stuff'.

Ah, each to their own. I agree with BR though Marmite Chocolate's brilliant (Wayland gave me some years ago, and I have quietly stashed some when I can find it since :D) the crisps are definitely more-ish too :D

Saw a good thing in Tesco's this afternoon. It's a flexible Marmite clean-out-the-jar spatula/spoon thingie :)
Says it's exclusive to Debenham's but that's mince.
http://www.shoppersbase.com/24863/marmite-score-a-hit-with-new-marmife/

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There are loads of recipes for it... its just liquid marshmellow, but its sickly on its own.

And GB :eek: Are you having a go at Twiglets?!?!? :confused: :p

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like to eat things which are recognizably food, even home-made Crab Rangoon pizza.
A pile of that Fluff on the floor might be ghost doo-doo. If you stepped in it, would it be hard to scrape off your shoe?
But you're right = every culture coughs up some weird things.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Sorry to bring a note of discord, but I really like twiglets, they taste a bit like Marmite !

They do... and they are a tasty snack that compliment most evening beverages except hot chocolate, ovaltine, juices and... hold on, I haven't thought this through :p

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Mary your OP brought instantly to mind that 80's B movie

The Stuff

[video=youtube;uE6Z1nBqLwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6Z1nBqLwo[/video]

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Seriously?! Y'all haven't heard of having a fluffernutter? White bread good peanut butter and fluff. Has to be washed down with ice cold milk. Yes it's gaudy sweet but it doesn't take much.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Twiglets are good with a mug of black tea with a wee bit sugar in it.
Otherwise they're somehow needing a tub of marmite to use as a dip I reckon.

I think they could do with being seasoned for a second time and redried tbh. but then, I like salt :)

Peanut butter is for making gravy I reckon. Otherwise it's the devil's earwax.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Peanut butter is wonderful - WITH marmite on hot wholemeal toast. The salt cuts through the oil somehow.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There are loads of recipes for it... its just liquid marshmellow, but its sickly on its own.

And GB :eek: Are you having a go at Twiglets?!?!? :confused: :p

Oh yeah! 'Bout the only thing they're good for are fake logs for a model fire diorama or to be actually used as kindling as long as it's downwind. Them and wasabii peanuts. :eek:
As well as the fluff the American food store has a preponderance of grape flavoured (though I suppose it'll be flavored) products. Like grapes but think that it's an odd flavour, never really tastes like grapes.
Odd British favours are the likes of Irn-Bru & Vimto. Have to send care packages out to Singapore as SWMBO gets homesick sometimes.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That sounds truly disgusting. It is amazing what shops are trying to pass as food these days, especially the stuff aimed at kids.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a pack of those Fruit shoots wee drinks things. I thought they looked handy for packed lunches. Well they're sold for that for children.

I threw them in the bin. I have never tasted anything so appallingly over sweetened that was trying to pass as a healthy fruit drink. I couldn't get rid of the taste of fake sweeteners, etc., for hours. No wonder kids get fat if the food they're used to has to be so sweet.
I do keep, and we use, diluting juices. I like Ribena, and it's certainly sweet, but not that cloying syrupiness.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE