I have found a job.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh well done :cool:

Do it well, look on it as good experience, see that those paying you are pleased, and perhaps ask afterwards if you might use them as a reference. Might well be worth asking if there are other options for you to work for them again.

On the practical aspects of it re money, etc., have they offered you a contract ? one that clearly lays out their expectations and yours, the parameters/scope of the report, how it is to be presented, and how any issues will be resolved. Mind a week is a week, not a never-ending 'can you do this too? ', and dragging on and on.

Make sure that you have things clearly set up so that you can be paid using whatever system they use. Usually in short contracts it's by cheque, but Bank Transfer is becoming more common.
I know two people who only bank with 'ethical' banks (the co-op for instance) and they have huge issues being paid.
They will (or they ought) to ask for you N.I. details, usually they set you up as a 'contractor' for stuff like this.
It's rare to be paid as soon as you're finished. Anywhere between one and three months is normal.

I hope it goes very well :) I hope it's fun to do, that it leads to more work that you enjoy too.

atb,

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
its writing a heritage report. Only a week, but its paid.

Now what do I do? I, as you know, still havent grasped this job concept.

Doing a good job is always the best way of promoting your capability - far better than any marketing, sales calls, advertising etc.

Aim to exceed expectations; do your very best because word of mouth will win you more follow on work than anything else.

And, as Toddy said, enjoy it :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Well done, I reflect the same advice as Toddy and Broch.

I used to own my own environmental consultancy company, you can be quite vulnerable as a sole trader....but do a good job and work keeps on coming in.

I no longer have the company, as I prefer to work for others and clock off work wise at the end of the day, and protected financially, but this is not for everyone.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE