I finally got out! My first walk since I moved......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Yes!
I finally did it! I was able to go out for the first time in a long, long time.
The purpose of this walk was to trey and see how my "new" backpack would do and offcourse to get my (not so) skinny carcass out of the house and into the greens.
This also means (re)learning a lot of skills, but on the bright side, my overall fisical state is not as bad as I had feared. Doing 2 5km-milehikes in an hour each, with 15kg on my back without getting exhausted leaves room for hope!

Tha backpack;
Weight was ok and the way of packing it was, too. I noticed I need to pack my blanketroll tighter the next time, as it slid loose a bit, while walking. I need to get/make some bags to carry my food. I also need to find a way to stow away the hatchet properly. The additional foammat in the back works brilliantly!
The webbingbelt; I wasn't too happy with it. The backpack pushed down on the canteens, pushing the belt down, which made walking a bit unpleasant. It also meant that my Mora, being on my pantsbelt, was almost inaccessible.
My binos will be taken off and I will hang them around my neck (somehow). This means no room for the Mora there. I will make an extra loop, so my Mora will end up on my webbingbelt.

Important lesson learned; start cold, walk warm!
I wore to much when I started, leaving me soaked by the time I stopped and I hadn't brought anything to change the wet stuff. It wasn't that much of a problem in the current weatherconditions, but in colder conditions it will be.

Enough talk!
Pictures!
DSC04789-1.jpg

Some mushrooms;
DSC04791.jpg

DSC04801.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

There's a wide variety in mushrooms around here. I could have added a dozen or so more...including one that was bigger than my moraknife!

This one is out of service....
DSC04819.jpg

The kitchen
DSC04834.jpg

Lunch!
DSC04835.jpg

Doing dishes;
Heat some water, pound one end of a green twig to loosen the fibres and start brushing!
DSC04859.jpg

Enjoying the scenery. It was so peaceful and quiet.... Well... apart from the calling of some large birds.
How I longed for this!
DSC04845.jpg

DSC04850.jpg

DSC04853.jpg

DSC04862.jpg

DSC04876.jpg

On my way back;
DSC04863.jpg

DSC04871.jpg

Water never is far away here;
DSC04886.jpg

And sometimes one's eye gets caught by something off the beaten track....
DSC04890.jpg

And you find a bonus!
There were some ribs, 2 upper legbones, 2 pieces of pelvis (I think) and a piece of spine. I guess the remains of a deer.
DSC04893.jpg

DSC04894.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lovely pics, what a stunning part of the world.

Look forward to more of your exploring over the next few months

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE