I fancied a new wallet ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Currently revamping all of my leather gear at the moment, but I'm keeping some of it a secret for now to be revealed later this month as part of a larger project ;)

But for now, here is a wee taster. I made myself a wallet a few months ago, however I get bored of my own things pretty quickly so just made another.

As many of you will know, I'm big on all things Pictish. I wanted to recreate a design from a Pictish stone, and so decided to take my inspiration from the Portmahomack stone (top left section). Re-drew the design out and tweaked it to fit my wallet by taking out a section of spirals and voila. Bit of time and elbow grease later and...

fig92 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Portmahomack Wallet 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Portmahomack Wallet 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Portmahomack Wallet 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Now it's time to actually earn some cash to go in it! Thanks for reading :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Well cheese-puff cheerios and holy mackerels. :(

As a thank you to you, I've been working on a pattern for a long wallet for you with this...

pict-hamish.jpg

... or at least an adaptation of it carved into the wallet.

Got it from 'The Art of the Picts'... strikingly similar to what you've just made. Seriously weird that I picked that design out of the entire book... but there we go.

Back to the drawing board.

Exceptional work btw... love the gradients to the dyes.

Dreadhead

Well cheese-puff cheerios and holy mackerels. :(

As a thank you to you, I've been working on a pattern for a long wallet for you with this...

attachment.php

... or at least an adaptation of it carved into the wallet.

Got it from 'The Art of the Picts'... strikingly similar to what you've just made. Seriously weird that I picked that design out of the entire book... but there we go.

Back to the drawing board.

Exceptional work btw... love the gradients to the dyes.

haha no way mate, had no idea! thank you all the same ;) Hope your leatherworking is coming along :)

as to that design, it's one that keeps drawing my eye too! thinking of having it inked at some point too once I remove some older carp via laser treatment which is ongoing

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
haha no way mate, had no idea! thank you all the same ;) Hope your leatherworking is coming along :)

as to that design, it's one that keeps drawing my eye too! thinking of having it inked at some point too once I remove some older carp via laser treatment which is ongoing

No worries, I have a cunning plan as a replacement idea... but you're not going to want two wallets on the go! Very bizarre though... just spat my drink out when I opened this thread :lmao:

The leatherwork is going okay... just spending lots of time practicing the carving, had a few issues. Issues that might require a day or two course if you know what I mean. Practice every day though, so hopefully there'll be a gradual improvement.

Dreadhead

hahah I should have just kept it a secret along with all the other things I've been making for the past fortnight :eek:

It's a long journey mate, as long as you're having fun with it. I'm always happy to run courses and answer any questions you might have. 2016 is looking to be a busy year for teaching for me, onwards and upwards :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
hahah I should have just kept it a secret along with all the other things I've been making for the past fortnight :eek:

It's a long journey mate, as long as you're having fun with it. I'm always happy to run courses and answer any questions you might have. 2016 is looking to be a busy year for teaching for me, onwards and upwards :)

Very much looking forward to seeing what you've been working on... you really are an inspiration for me and I'm sure a lot of other people.

I'm forcing myself to stick to plan... bought tools when I've needed them, bought a lot of leather, practicing like mad and noting down every time I get to a stumbling block (and the notes are extensive)... but I suspect it'll be sooner rather than later I'll be looking for a booking. Some things I seem to naturally be able to do... other things are infuriatingly difficult.

Dreadhead

Very much looking forward to seeing what you've been working on... you really are an inspiration for me and I'm sure a lot of other people.

I'm forcing myself to stick to plan... bought tools when I've needed them, bought a lot of leather, practicing like mad and noting down every time I get to a stumbling block (and the notes are extensive)... but I suspect it'll be sooner rather than later I'll be looking for a booking. Some things I seem to naturally be able to do... other things are infuriatingly difficult.

Sounds about right mate, I took this wallet apart and re-stitched it 3 times until I was happy with it. It can be incredibly frustrating at times :p

It's woodwork that drives me up the wall, it just doesn't do what I want it to do like with leather. Can't do it all!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that Hamish :D
You must be chuffed with it; it all works so well together. Design, layout, colour, texture :D

Nice one lad :cool:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely wallet Hamish and a design that draws the eye in. (I used to loose hours doing similar & contour designs).
Looking forward to the reveal on the secret new products. You're teasing us with that one.
Brilliant work mate.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dreadhead

Thanks all, I can't quite bring myself to use it yet, along with the other things I have made myself recently. I'll wait until everything is photographed together in the coming fortnight then I can let them all get tatty with use :)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks all, I can't quite bring myself to use it yet, along with the other things I have made myself recently. I'll wait until everything is photographed together in the coming fortnight then I can let them all get tatty with use :)

Get on and use them! :D

There's something lovely in a well worn in item like that. It becomes like an old companion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE