I confess to batoning with a folding knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
iv done it before, with an opinel no.8. Urm... Let's say I wouldn't use that again :D
However I had a buck which battonned bits of pallet really nicely.

End of the day knives are tools, not shiney things to sit in draws

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
In the eternal argument of wether to baton or not to baton with a knife may I present to you Bart Goemaere and his "Hultafors bayonax".
It's an interesting bushcraft concept somewhere between genius and it's all going to end in tears insanity, have a watch and decide for yourself.
[video=youtube_share;w55B84SuELo]https://youtu.be/w55B84SuELo[/video]

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'm just not sure why or when that would be a good idea so my vote is it's a lot closer to "it's all going to end in tears insanity".

passer

Jun 20, 2016
lancs
In the eternal argument of wether to baton or not to baton with a knife may I present to you Bart Goemaere and his "Hultafors bayonax".
It's an interesting bushcraft concept somewhere between genius and it's all going to end in tears insanity, have a watch and decide for yourself.
[video=youtube_share;w55B84SuELo]https://youtu.be/w55B84SuELo[/video]

Now thats what I call......Hammering the point home!!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wonder how long it takes before the knife flies out in a random direction... with considerably more force than you could throw it.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
SAKs are quite strong, and so long as you don't take on something stupid big then you may well get away with it. Needs must. Do it regularly and you will break them.

Tying to a stick or weight will get more chopping power but also a quick way to break the knife. The knives on the vid aren't up to sustained use that way. Thick stock and the right heat treat that leans to tough might, but the examples shown don't.

Wedges do work but they take time. Bushcraft is living with the basics which means some tools to get the job done. Survival is get home to civilisation in one piece with what you have. Speed or deliberate, as both are a choice???

A SAK is replaceable. A high cost custom should be able to what it was made for. Its your call. Ever job has some risk, every blade some luck built in. Do something risky and the luck might run out.
Practice and gaining the experience requires finding the limitations so some risk is involved. Best done before it matters.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's genius... Is it a home made contraption there? Just a hammer with a slit?

How to make an axe with just a hammer, a knife and two bits of cordage, eh?

It's certainly good to experiment and play with things but often you find that although it's an interesting journey, folk found an alternative route millenia ago.........................

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
There is a reason man invented axes. Had his invention been long lived I am sure we would not had invented axes.
To baton with a wood stick is one thing, but with a steel implement?
Blade will get damaged.

Batoning with a knife is Ok splitting thin pieces of wood. Not OK to cut or split timber.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mince.
A knife easily batons timber. The thing is too that if it's used to kedge it's way along it will split timber very, very tidily and true. Hazel hurdle making and basketry use the principle all the time.

It's a skill; it's worth learning it…..just don't do a 'proof of destruction' stupidity on a tool you are going to need.

Someone find Mors' demo please ? I'm on my way out and only logged in to clear an email and cast a quick eye over things here.

atb,
M

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Mors Kochanski, batoning demonstration at around the five minute mark
[video=youtube_share;uvlmsH0IFT4]https://youtu.be/uvlmsH0IFT4[/video]

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I've used my folders many times to Baton with it comes down to knowing how your tool works. Not one of my knives ever broke either and I've batoned through seasoned Red Oak with ease

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
My main concern is the lock rather than the blade; but a properly sharpened blade of the right steel shouldnt ever be an issue...at least in terms of getting thru the wood, longevity of the knife is another matter

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
These knives and axes threads are sooooooooo bushcraft yesterday. What you really need is a trained beaver on a dog lead. Think of the energy saved!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
There's so many restrictions on where you can and can't walk a Beaver though......Even if you paint your walking staff white, wear sun glasses and dress the Beaver in a yellow coat sooner or later someone is going to realise that you actually knew all along that it's not a Labrador.

D.B.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I wouldn't bother with the beaver.
Just spend some time in a shaolin temple learning crazy Kung fu skills.
I split all my wood 'karate chop' style, very efficient, though the necessary vocalisations of "Haiiii Yaaa" can sometimes get you noticed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE