I can't buy anything!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Edi_M

Have you tried, first of all, setting your security to default, & adding the sites you are trying to purchase to your trusted sites list?

I'd also advocate ensuring explorer is running with the most recent updates. There may be some more sinister reason for http secure not binding, & in that instance I'd personally be happier knowing the browser won't let me (or my wife!) do anything. If you want more specific assistance fixing explorer, PM me & I'll run through it with you. You may have gathered from the dutch oven thread I've had a lot of experience helping people get onto our own site!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Right then....dowloading firefox. If it messes up can i delete it without a lot of trouble?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
yes it is independant of internet explorer

nice little feature lets you import internet explorer favourites logins etc so that explorer remains untouched

enjoy :)

Tant

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Right, so i downloaded firefox, did all the import shannanigans (haven't heard that word in years!), but tried to access a page and got something like "Connection refused from Mozilla.com" i think. I've set it back to IE so i can still come here.

What to do :?: Thanks guys, your a bunch of stars.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Are you using AOL dialup for internet access. In some cases the upgrade form one version of AOL to antoher has lead to corruption of the dll files that control access to encrypted web sites.

Do a search in google for 128bit encryption, AOL, problems and you should find (all be it after some digging) references to the fault and a way to resolve it.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
you still got firefox installed jake?

"Connection refused from Mozilla.com" sounds like a problem getting through your firewall or even a problem with the page you were trying to view

try surfing to some of the "bookmarks" aka favourites

if it keeps on refusing it is probably firewall

Tant

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
You might be right tant, i searched through all bookmarks and got nothing. Im on windows XP, and using the normal :)?:) IE.

Whats OS?

Thanks guys.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
os = operating system , win xp ya just told us (though it could still be home or pro-look in "control panel" then "system" for this, it tells you on the first page) ;)

to find out which version of almost any program, open it and click "help" and select "about"

a little panel should appear with some company and author stuff and the exact version

do you have your own installed firewall or just the one that came with service pack 2?

Tant

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well a guy came in to service our p.c and added one i think, because we got a virus that deleted the driver (i think) so the whole thing was working, it just didn;t know how to work (if you know what i mean!).
Would i have to delete the firewall?

Cheers.

Edi_M

I'd suggest is go through your patch list in the 'currently installed programs' list, remove any IE related patches & reapply them, if youwant to be absolutely sure reinstall IE from scratch, Then check to ensure that all your security zones are set to default and the same for your privacy settings. Flush your temporary files & objects, just in case whatever objects are being downloaded have been corrupted in cache but not getting reloaded.

Do you have Norton Internet Security installed & running? if so, again flush any existing restrictions placed by its firewall. You are specifically looking for anything blocking port 443 (which deals with https), but rather than go searching for it, it is easier to reset the rules & then apply them when prompted. Same applies to MS Personal Firewall, reset the rules (if it's enabled) and then wait to be asked for the rules per application. It doesn't need re-installed, just initialised.

Hopefully some of this applies.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
nooooooooooo

dont delete the firewall

firewall stops unauthorised connections

simply a process of telling the firewall that firefox is ok to go thru

the fact that it stopped firefox just proves the firewall is doing its job well :)

you use messenger ?

click the little blue man under my reputation and i will try and give you a hand

Tant

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Edi, i think i'll have to re-read a few times to get it. Should i change my securrity levels?

Tant, my msn isn't working. And i dont want it to!! It was too distracting for me!

So, in theory, i gotta tell my firewall that firefox is ok?

Cheers.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
So, in theory, i gotta tell my firewall that firefox is ok?

yup spot on

now i am guessing a bit (it only works with service pack 2)

go into "control panel" and then "security centre"

click on firewall and you should either see a panel telling you which firewall you are using or it will be using windows firewall

if it is windows firewall then click windows firewall below and then "exceptions" page

click "add program" then "browse" and paste C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe into the "file name" box and click "open"

or browse thru, my computer, c:, program files, mozilla firefox, and select the little firefox icon and click open ........... same thing different way :shock:

if your machine is not using windows firewall but another firewall eg zone alarm , norton etc etc then you will have to look up that program in the program list from the start button

and go through a similar process to tell it that firefox is one of the good guys

Tant

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(Just thought i'd say, if this doesn't work i'd like to say thanks to all of you for your efforts, i very much appreciate it, really)

I have norton interent security, when i move my cursor over the heading i get the following menu's.....

Norton Anti-virus >>>
Help and support
Live update
More symantec solutions
Norton internet security
Uninstall

the first one opens another menu. I click "Norton internet security" and i get

"This application has failed to start because MSVCP70.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this programme."

Im guessing thats not a good thing! I'll re-install and try it out again.

Edi M, before our computer crashed everything was working fine. Then it got fixed and everything is working fine apart from i can't checkout! Thats 2nd in importance of what this PC does for me!

1. Email/BCUK/BB
2. Amazon and all other :wink:
3. Information/Research
4. Word

I suppose if it fails to work, i'll just have to go over to my dads place to buy stuff. But then i'll get all guilty "im going over to dads to buy stuff" :oops:

Thanks all.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
hmmmm sounds a bit crunched jake

i have never used norton so i am way outta my depth on that

mebbe get a hold of the guy who installed it for ya

or see what the others come up with on here

wish i could be more help, i kinda like puzzles like this, can ya guess?

good luck

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE