I can see your house from here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
No, you can't! The focus isn't sharp enough. However, you can see the building I work in near Dulles Airport in Virginia. Ironically, we are right across the street from the National Reconnaissance Office (or some such name), which runs the United State's spy satelites, supposedly. Anyhow, the image that comes up is pretty good and you can even see a car in the parking lot. Evidently it is a weekend picture and the shot must be about a year and a half old, judging from the building that are missing.

The county I live in (Fairfax Country, Virginia) is good enough to have an aerial photo of my house on it's website somewhere.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
It's not too large a download, on broadband at least. The definition in my area isn't quite down to house level but I could see the outline of my street. The NASA World Wind programme is a much bigger download and not as whizzy to move about in, but seems to give much better defintion in the UK and the US. In American cities you can actually see cars on the road... and detect a magnetic anomaly somewhere near Grand Rapids, Michigan :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Definitely download it - it's ace. I haven't found a real use for it yet, unless you count wasting time at work (if I need to get from A to B I use Google Maps), but it's very, very cool, especially in places where the images have a decent resolution, and/or where there's lots of mountains to "fly" along.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is completely brilliant!!!
I've found my parents home!! Even mum's car was on it!!! :eek: :D :rolleyes: ;)

I know what you did last summer ;) :p - you'd better stop with running around in your garden :D ... or at least put on some clothes :cool: :p

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The detail is variable and colour coded to show where the resolution changes.. My house is shown pretty well.

Go look at the Grand Canyon - very cool. Took me a while to find the nazca lines and the pyramids but you can see them.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Here is my house, located 1 inch southeast of center of picture. Notice swimming pool in front of house, rectanglar object outlined well by concrete.

Shadow is slightly behind upper (north) side of house where gravel parking area is (tiny black dot is my truck). :rolleyes:

Pond is located on left side of house/pool, it is large light colored area. We are surrounded by woods all around house, front of house is facing very large open cattle fields.

This is amazing to me..................... :eek:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=17&X=1181&Y=19781&W=1

Robbie Roberson ;)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
oh no you can't

Ugh_more_rain.jpg

Tant

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Robbie Roberson said:
Here is my house, located 1 inch southeast of center of picture. Notice swimming pool in front of house, rectanglar object outlined well by concrete.

Shadow is slightly behind upper (north) side of house where gravel parking area is (tiny black dot is my truck). :rolleyes:

Pond is located on left side of house/pool, it is large light colored area. We are surrounded by woods all around house, front of house is facing very large open cattle fields.

This is amazing to me..................... :eek:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=17&X=1181&Y=19781&W=1

Robbie Roberson ;)

Nice one Robbie!

Here's your house using Google Earth - It's just out of the next step up of resolution!

robbie.jpg

I guess this is one of the sacrifices of having it in colour.

Jul 4, 2005
U.S.A.
img83.echo.cx
My house is the one in the red box. Behind my house is what I call "Free-country" and lots of it.:cool:

myhouse6qg.jpg

If you look close enough you can see me waving.:rolleyes:

P.S. This picture is old, our roof is now black.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Robbie Roberson said:
Stew, thank you, why is it out of focus ?

At the moment, the whole of Google Earth isn't at a high resolution. As you can see on the picture, the section just West of you is at a high resolution but for the moment your house and surrounding area is at a lower resolution.
I don't know when they'll be improving the res.

Are you impressed that I managed to find your house? :D

Anyone found anything else that's worth a look for?
I think I'll go look for the Great Wall of China...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE