I broke my knife handle.. can you help??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
as the title says..I broke my damn knife handle. :(

To be precise I broke one of the scales for my Svord peasant knife while reworking them.

I am quite annoyed and would be very grateful for some advice on either making new ones or details of someone who could do it for me. I have no intention on 'fixing' the old one either as the wood just isn't very nice.

It's got me thinking about the knife's design and how basically the dry, soft wooden scales and their uncomfy banana shape are the biggest let down to the knife..

Seems like that's big one.. but in my opinion it lets the knife down.

The steel however is very nice, it holds and keeps a cracking edge and doesn't make food taste rank but still forms a mild patina.

So...

Any advice on who could make new ones for me?

and any advice on where to buy better quality wood to make my own?

Also.. has anyone made the knife into a fixed blade? it has two holes for rivets/pins and enough tank for a good fit.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you for you time! :)

*If you have spare plastic ones for sale let me know!*

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I thought you made a fresh set? Or did you just sex them up?

My first (and only) scale making was with my peasant (which I don't actually use!) it's pretty easy, just copy one of the current scales. You can buy scale wood on fleabay quite affordably. I was very kindly donated some spalted beech.

I've still go a slab but you'd have to cut it in half to get two scales. Since it was given to me and I don't think I'll use it, I'll happily pass it on so it will be. If you're up for it?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yeah I kept the original ones but worked the shape and oiled them.

If you have spair strong wood that you are happy to give away I will take you up on the offer, thanks!

I'd like to adjust the shape of them a little but the new thing I was doing was adding some 2mm acrylic at the end section because they was play in the two scales caused by over wide holes for the bolts and then I intended to add 2 more pins to keep it all secure but it cracked..

Is there anything you want in return for the wood?

do you have any pictures of your new scales/progress?

thanks!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha yeah I guess! thanks alot buddy, I'll message you my address!

Looks good, any tips you can pass on fior when I give it a go?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Yeah, if you can cut it in half on a band or scroll saw, do so! Also, make sure you have the right sized bits (and use a pillar drill so they're straight.) I struggled with recessing the bolts because I drilled the smaller part first so I couldn't centre the... flange?

I'll post it off the weekend.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I only have hand tools, nothing fixed other than a bench grinder but I'm sure I'll manage.

I will need to get a few more drill bits though.

thanks!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a spare pair of walnut scales for a svord if your interested?

Sorry about the poor pic.

IMG_7224.jpg

as the title says..I broke my damn knife handle. :(

To be precise I broke one of the scales for my Svord peasant knife while reworking them.

I am quite annoyed and would be very grateful for some advice on either making new ones or details of someone who could do it for me. I have no intention on 'fixing' the old one either as the wood just isn't very nice.

It's got me thinking about the knife's design and how basically the dry, soft wooden scales and their uncomfy banana shape are the biggest let down to the knife..

Seems like that's big one.. but in my opinion it lets the knife down.

The steel however is very nice, it holds and keeps a cracking edge and doesn't make food taste rank but still forms a mild patina.

So...

Any advice on who could make new ones for me?

and any advice on where to buy better quality wood to make my own?

Also.. has anyone made the knife into a fixed blade? it has two holes for rivets/pins and enough tank for a good fit.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you for you time! :)

*If you have spare plastic ones for sale let me know!*

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah thank you very much mate! I will accept the scales if that's still ok? I'll message you my details, would you like anything in return?

The mod I really want to do is put a section of material at the lower section of the scales and then pin then shut..I'll post pics later of my attemp before the pin broke the wood!

Cheers dudes

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Aye, many very decent gents here!

This is what I was trying to do, I had it epoxied down and dried and during the process of making the hole for ne pins the end tip crakced to the bolt hole..

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

It would have made the handle feel alot more secure and strong, with the new ones I will be mroe carefull! haha

thanks for the input fellas :You_Rock_

davek

Dec 3, 2004
usa
I can send you some original scales if that helps?

Edit : Just noticed your location, i can send you some if you help with postage :)

Thanks for the generous offer but I'm a machinist hoping to make some whiz bang aluminum scales.

I've also been looking for CAD files of Green River blades or basically any knife related CAD files I can find.

Here are some Green River blades I've "reverse engineered" and made slabs for. Picked some easy to do with nice straight lines.

Knives001-1.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE