I am a Discovery owner now!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Not sure it was the best choice considering fuel costs and milage but I have always wanted a Land Rover and today I own one! I have a nice 2004 Discovery SE in gold with a bike rack on the rear too.
I really want a Defender but in the USA they are older and very rare. Mostly around $60,000 for a 1997 Def 110, if you can find one. So there are plenty of Discos for much, much less and I caught one. So far, so good. No payments to make and it can be my go to the mountains vehicle. I am looking forward to taking a road trip soon. I have a weekend hike/camp trip May 1 and a survival course up north on the 14th - 17th, the Disco will get a good trial then.
Cheers!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Hi wizard, have you thought about making your own biodiesel?

Since they only sell premium unleaded gasoline engine Discos in the US, I don't know if there is a way to run bio diesel? I am not really that mechanical:rolleyes:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
We do have LPG here but it is very limited on where you can buy it. So, a trip outside the city would be difficult. Since the vehicle is primarily for going to the bush/mountain/desert country, I will have to live with the milage.
For some reason here in the US, Land Rover thinks we all want plush 4x4's, so they put leather seats and auto transmissions into Discos and that is the only way they are sold:(
Defender is not even sold here, I think they sold some Def 90's and a few 110's here in the late '90's and none since. If you find a Defender here there is always a real premium price tag. I saw a nice 110 for $60,000 and it was 12 years old. Since I gave $9000 for a 2004 Disco, I feel more practical!
My other option was a Jeep Wrangler, 4door but that would have been new and I would have payments for 5 years...I settled on the Disco because I could pay cash and it fits my needs pretty well.
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the Disco info from the "homeland". Cheers!

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
I have a 1968 series 2A 109 hardback landie for sale Tax exempt and loads of restoration done, runs well. Has a series3 2.5 diesel, salisbury rear axle. free wheel hubs, fairey overdrive so 16 forward gears and 4 reverse. Over £2k spent on parts, new tyres (5), new master and slave cyls, all new hoses, new exhaust, clutch, door post, rear cross meember, all 4 main outriggers, new hinge pins etc etc. Now surplus to requirements would take a decent air rifle in part exchange. Looking for £2,000 cheap enough to import into the USA and still own a peice of British history.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE