Hurdles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Living next to fields of Short Rotation Coppice willow I've desided its about time to have a go at hurdle making.

Anyone got any ideas of a good book and tips to give me some help to get started.

Also, one for Jack really (sorry to the rest of you for setting him off) which one billhook would you recogmend for general all round use.

EdS

I'd love to but Dorset it a bit far. Plus the 90 keeps forcing me to buy new toys for her so cash is a bit scarce.

That and the decoradtion I've promissed SWMBO to help with. Luckily she does the plastering etc.. I just get the painting and cleaning.

J

Jamie

The Woodlands book from the BTCV is excellent (not just for starting out in hurdles but a load of other things as well) and you can get it direct from them. Click this link and in the search box put in woodlands and the book your'e looking for is Woodlands - Practical handbook priced at £13.95.

Jack does sell them but as part of the hurdle making kit.

Good luck....and am sure if you send Jack an email asking for hurdling help he will be more than happy to oblige....although you may regret it as you will inevitably be convinced as to the superiority of the billhook over the axe! :lol:

Hope that all helps. :)

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
The Woodlands book from the BTCV is excellent (not just for starting out in hurdles but a load of other things as well) and you can get it direct from them. Click this link and in the search box put in woodlands and the book you’re looking for is Woodlands - Practical handbook priced at £13.95.

Jack does sell them but as part of the hurdle making kit.

Good luck....and am sure if you send Jack an email asking for hurdling help he will be more than happy to oblige....although you may regret it as you will inevitably be convinced as to the superiority of the billhook over the axe!

Dear Eds.

Jamie is right on all of the above and he has never been more correct is saying that the Billhook is far more superior than some old moth eaten axe! .............give me three things that an axe can do that a hook can’t............I rest my case..........well for five minutes anyway!

Short Rotation Coppice or SRC as it is known, is a million miles from woodland coppice. SRC is planted and ‘farmed’ as an agricultural crop and is grown for biomass a renewable and environmentally friendly fuel for power stations – so we are told. To learn hurdle making ( the supreme woodland skill by the way) you will need hazel coppice if you are intending to make wattle hurdles ( cleft hazel, woven into a panel). You may get away with using the willow, depending on what variety it is, but willow by it’s very nature is a soft hard wood, apart from Cricket Bat willow which is like Oak and believe it or not, its what is used for making.............cricket bats!

The best book I recommend to our students is the Woodlands book by the BTCV. You can not learn Hurdle making from a book ( you need to do the hands on stuff at the same time) but it is the only book that comes close and the Hurdle Making section is written by a good friend of mine, George Darwall and he has made a great job of it and it takes you through the stages. I would also recommend this book because it takes you through charcoal burning as well and its a great book for the beginner as it will take the reader right through the whole off woodland management, history and it gives you some wonderful tips. It also has a very comprehensive contacts list in the back and this is so very important when you start off in the woodland world as it can seem to hold a very low profile. I like this book for what it is and not for who it is written by ( BTCV, not a great fan of Trust’s or Charities).

Billhooks.

Well, if you are a master of the supreme woodland skill of Hurdle Making then obviously you will be using a supreme tool – a Billhook. I don’t say this lightly, but you will know as well as me, if you are working with you hands all day you will need a well made, comfortable tool as you life in the woodland will be hard enough and by using a inferior and ill made tool, you have just made you life ten times harder!

I get dismayed when you walk into a hardware shop or an agricultural merchants and all you see on display is the Bulldog range hooks. These tools should be banned. They are dangerous. They will quickly absorb all the strength of the user. This just makes the man swinging the bloody thing disillusioned with what ever he is doing, this in my eyes, is what we don’t need, we want to get people to stay and learn our heritage skills, not destroy their enthusiasm from the start!

We must remember and realise that when we lose one of our rural skills ( and we have lost many ) we not any lose the tools, we also lose the associated knowledge of their use that goes with them. This I feel, is what has happened to the billhook. A tool that was once the back bone of the rural community and was a tool that everyone owned, is now only really understood by the people who still depend upon them for their living. These people are keeping this knowledge alive. This is why you will never see any Woodsman, Hedgelayer or Spar Maker holding anything like a Bulldog or Spear & Jackson hook. It just doesn’t happen.

In the woodland industry, it is subtle way of sorting the Men from the Boys. If you are seen using one, you are look upon as am amateur.................in the woodland world, its not the size of your chopper and its not what you do with it either................its who its made by, that counts!!

What was the original question again?

Oh yeah I remember.

The best all round hooks are the Beckett or Newton. The Beckett is a hook designed by us for the general use. ( book early, avoid disappointment). This Beckett is a hook that I use everyday in the woodlands as it gets used for felling, trimming and splitting hazel and it is light in the hand. The Newton is heavier hook and has a shorter nose. This hook will perform all the task above but isn’t so gentle as the Beckett when it comes to splitting slender hazel rods but it is an animal with anything bigger. This would be the hook I would use to replace the axe, its that versatile.

Best wishes.

Jack.

EdS

Hi,
Thank all for ther info, look like another book to buy - must get the new book shelve built.

The SRC was initially planted as part of the land bank for the Project Arbre piower station at Eggborough. Not sure what is happennig with it - but it seems likely the it will be harvested and passed/sold to Renewable Engery Grower. Its our departmentat at work that have been volunteer to sort it out.

Although willow isn't the best stuff to make hurdles with I thought it a shame not have a go, what with it being 50m from my house.

T

theknight

Jack.

Could our woodlands be used for woodchip to fuel power stations?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
theknight said:
Jack.

Could our woodlands be used for woodchip to fuel power stations?

Absolutely.

And it is something that’s on the agenda.......maybe.

But, like most agenda’s they don’t actually do anything, except talk.

To me and to most people it makes perfect, logical sense. As we know, we have thousands upon thousands of abandoned coppices throughout the land. These coppices grow every year producing free, sustainable fuel for us and what do we do? We just turn up the thermostat and burn more fossil fuels and with the current disaster in Iraq reminding us all how much we have to give in life just so we can have central heating.

The oil pipe lines around the world will one day run dry and the oil will be replaced by the blood of many nations.

We have an opportunity in our woodlands to get it right if we care to take our blinkers off. We have an infinite renewable fuel growing around us all. A coppiced stool will live ( as far as we know) forever, with the oldest being in Wiltshire and that is a 5000 years old coppiced lime, still producing rods, still free of charge, for man.

In order for mankind to survive, we have to start to learn about our natural surroundings and what they can do for us. This of course, is nothing new and I believe we have managed to survive by doing this for the last 1 million years! Keep things simple in life and only simple things will go wrong.

Authorities are looking at woodchip power stations but the term power station is the wrong word to use as this conjures up mammoth concrete buildings. The current line of thought is that we have small woodchip ‘units’ that would be based in council buildings, civic centres and other public buildings ( the have boxes to tick etc etc). These would be fuelled by woodchip from local coppices and woodlands but we have been spitting the dummy out over the fact that the local authorities would allow all of there waste from local parks etc to go through the system as well to save them money on disposal, good, traditional local politics even contaminates the humble woodchip.

This small scale method is the way forward and you would be surprised at how many homes around the country have this system in place already and it is nothing new in Scandinavia and hopefully we should see more of them. Just imagine what this slight change could do to our woodlands. It would put men back into them and working them, forever.

Jack.

EdS

We're considering replacing our oil heating with wood chip, only problem we rent the place, so I'd have to the company (rented from work) to allows us. Would make sense as we've 18Ha of SRC willow on our doorstep.

Hopefully we'll also be getting our new stove in the next few weeks - if we ever get the decorating done. If anyone wants to put wood burnnig stoves in the new clean burn systems are approved for use in smokeless zone - so you've got no excuse now.

At work our section is involved in Biocrops (off to the conference in Lincolnshire next week) and are looking at putting some burners in some of our projects.

We're also looking at developing our own fuel for some of our potential projects.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I've seen hazel used for hurdles, but could alder be ustilized. My local forest has been felling it recently and its about the right size and seems a shame to waste it when the girlfriend needs a new fence.

Simon

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi guys,

What are the functions of hurdles? I have seen them written about, but dont have a clue!

Enlighten me?

Jake

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Basically they are fence panels. They are made using split hazel rods interwoven. They are a very traditional product and stem back to before "enclosure" when animals roamed free on common land. The hurdles were used to enclose them at night to stop them getting picked off by Wolves.
They continued to be used untill very recently on every farm as tempory fencing and holding pens, i guess the electric fence has finally finished em off. In the second world war (according to Jack (he remembers em well :wink: ))they were used as stretchers in the evacuation at Dunkirk.
Nowadays they tend to be just pretty garden fences. :cry:
Thats the abridged answer, Jack will give the full concise answer iam sure, but not without mentionig the billhook.
Cheeers
Rich

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice, so it is mainly an aesthetic thing, rather than practical.....

I might give it a go someday, sounds quite satisfying.

And Jack, what is this thing with you about billhooks that everyone keeps going on about?!

Cheers,

Jake

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
They are very practical, much stronger and last years longer than the crappy fence panel you buy down the garden centre.
They are also very environmentaly sound, and a great asset to our decaying woodlands. Best of all they keep traditional craftsmen in work to continue a long history of rural crafts.
Cheers Rich

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
They are a very traditional product and stem back to before "enclosure" when animals roamed free on common land. The hurdles were used to enclose them at night to stop them getting picked off by Wolves.

They were used to ' fold - fence' in sheep on the cornland before enclosure as we had no hedges in that period and the flocks were grazed on the downlands during the day and then they were ' folded' on the cornlands at night to help fertilise the soil as we didn't have anything else in those days except the real stuff.

Remember, this countrys wealth is from the wool trade and sheep were also known as the 'golden hoof'!

Funny enough, we are lambing at the moment and they are fetching good money so perhaps things haven't really changed after all...............

I beleive the last wolf was shot in Scotland in the early 1700's.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE