hunting with a crossbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Countryside act 1981:

Also the Criminal Justice Act makes in an offence for anyone over 16 (it may have risen to 18) to be in possession of a crossbow, or any part of a crossbow unless under the supervision of a responsible person over the age of 21.

uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal any self-locking snare, whether or not of such a nature or so placed as aforesaid, any bow or crossbow or any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm;

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Before I start bowhunting in the UK is illegal.

Crossbows are miserable weapons to hunt with.

However conventional bows are a rewarding challenge to hunt with that should not be undertaken lightly it takes time and effort to become proficient, sometimes years and some folks will just never make the grade.

In countries where bowhunting is legal small game points are used for rabbits etc. these are often blunt ensuring that maximum energy is imparted to the quarry with minimum penetration and a reduced loss of arrows, the quarry sustains massive blunt trauma.

For further details see:
www.europeanbowhunting.org also The British Bowhunters Association (be prepared to travel)

Happy hunting Pothunter.

C

chipstick

Honestly officer, I wouldn't know, but I have heard many rumours from the most reliable sources that even a white oak flatbow with a flax backing is capable of getting a tasty venison stew cooking in the pot. Proficiency is key.

As a lad I remember seeing what was described as a ‘small game’ hunting crossbow in a book on medieval arms. A piston attached to the bowstring propelled a round projectile (pebble/formed clay ball) from a short barrel. I’ve recently seen such a bow described as a ‘stonebow’. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

Here are some heads for birds and small game, much better than broadheads – if you’re not in the UK!
http://www.cabelas.com/information/Archery/BroadheadsPoints--SpecialtyBroadheadsFieldPoints.html

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
hmm yeah i guess your right, im just skink and crossbows are way cheeper.
both my dad and grandad hunt phesents with shot guns and i do go time to time,

Also a pistol crossbow would of been a damn site easyer to take along on a camping trip than an air rifle but oh well time to save some cash i guess. :)

Oh dear, were back to camping and killing again.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Oh dear, were back to camping and killing again.

I thought bushcraft was partly about living of the land?
Were always talking about traditional this and that but some people only want to hunt with
high powerd riffles is that traditional?
Dont get me rong i dont condone hunting with a crossbow pistle but a long bow i feal
is ok if you cant shoot one acuratly . And yes i know its alegal in the uk.

But were all entitled to an opinion KAE1.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I thought bushcraft was partly about living of the land?
Were always talking about traditional this and that but some people only want to hunt with
high powerd riffles is that traditional?
Dont get me rong i dont condone hunting with a crossbow pistle but a long bow i feal
is ok if you cant shoot one acuratly . And yes i know its alegal in the uk.

But were all entitled to an opinion KAE1.
At that point it's just killing for the satisfaction of it, really. Living off the land is one thing, but there's no point in killing something every time you go camping. And consider that if you kill anything any larger than a rabbit, you'll have a lot of meat to a) use and b) drag home. We (humankind) have done many questionable things in the past, to carry on simply due to tradition is ridiculous. Camp when you're hunting, but I see little point in hunting whenever you camp.
I'm not saying that I'm anti-hunting, or even anti-bowhunting, but you're right, you need to be able to shoot accurately. Very accurately. The VAST majority of archers can't, and the vast majority of people who would try can't. If you hit a deer with an arrow and it can still run, it WILL bolt and you won't be able to get it back to put it out of its misery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE