Hunting for the butcher?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
i have to agree, but its a shame the general public dont see it the same way.

i dont know if you watched the show the other night about stabbings? its pretty much the same because a guy like me (18 y/o kid) and knives people automatically think that i want to stab someone in a fight.

kind of ruins it for people like us who respect the tools.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
The sad thing is Guns - (be it a 45 - 9mm - Rifle - Shotgun - Airgun/rifle) will always have a bad press. People just see them a weapons designed to kill people.

My Air-rifle has been in the cupboard since 1996 after the Dunblane tragedy (about 15 miles from me). After that it was very hard to get permission to shoot anywhere around my area.
At the time there was a phone in with Richard & Judy about the propsed ban on guns. I phoned in trying to state the case for - Farmers - Sportsmen - Hunters etc but wasn't allowed on. sometime later (after the ban) a friend of mine that works in the media told me why I wasn't allowed onto the show. My views didn't meet with those who ran the show?
The strange thing is what I wanted to state on the show happened only a few weeks after Dunblane and guns didn't play a part in it.

Like HillBill says it only take one idiot to spoil it for the rest of us.

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Shooting is one of the most regulated sports out there. It has to be due to the fact that a gun can kill way too easily and there are many idiots around who give the sport a bad name. Yet, for the main part gun owners are some of the most law abiding and sensible people you will ever meet, who hugely contribute to the welfare and conservation of the countryside.

There's also a heavy dose of elitist game laws, certain environmental concerns and media headline circulation-boosting 'outrage' (e.g. bowhunting ban).

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The sad thing is Guns - (be it a 45 - 9mm - Rifle - Shotgun - Airgun/rifle) will always have a bad press. People just see them a weapons designed to kill people.

My Air-rifle has been in the cupboard since 1996 after the Dunblane tragedy (about 15 miles from me). After that it was very hard to get permission to shoot anywhere around my area.
At the time there was a phone in with Richard & Judy about the propsed ban on guns. I phoned in trying to state the case for - Farmers - Sportsmen - Hunters etc but wasn't allowed on. sometime later (after the ban) a friend of mine that works in the media told me why I wasn't allowed onto the show. My views didn't meet with those who ran the show?
The strange thing is what I wanted to state on the show happened only a few weeks after Dunblane and guns didn't play a part in it.

Like HillBill says it only take one idiot to spoil it for the rest of us.

TC

IMO thats discraceful, they only wanted people that were going fuel public into hating guns.

another thing that comes to mind though is when i was in air cadets and we would go away on camp, no one was aloud ANY form of knife no matter your rank even on survival weekends. its funny though all the staff had bowies, my friend suggested it was because they didnt want to be outdone.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I only have one rule - If I can't eat it I won't kill it. A magpie having a go at a young sprrow is natural - leave it alone. More songbirds are killed by domestic cats than magpies but we can't go around shooting them! rant over - sorryif that was a bit preachy :)

Seriously though if you want to get permission to shoot on someone's land you have to demonstrate some code of conduct and know what you are talking about - read up as much as you can first and go on the BASC (www.bascs.org.uk) site; there's loads of good info there.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes but you need to have a Game license, permission and appropriate rifle/shotgun and license. We have game dealers who go round the shooting estates etc collecting shot birds/hares. He buys them and sells them on through a shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE