Hunter: A Knife by Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
About four months ago I got another knife from Andy Roy of Fiddleback forge, it’s a hunter model. These are some early shots of the knife.

DSC_6315.jpg

DSC_6377.jpg

DSC_6317.jpg

DSC_6316.jpg

The specs are:

Over-all length..............9-1/2"
Blade length.................4-3/4"
Blade Thickness............5/32"
Blade width..................1-3/8" at widest point
Grind...........................High Saber convex
Steel...........................Spalted O1 Tool Steel

Handle materials are:

Natural canvas micarta scales with black canvas micarta bolsters and liners

Andy does some really nice grinds, his handle ergos have so far all been sublime with this one being no exception, and his fits and finishes have always been fantastic.

DSC_6325.jpg

DSC_6329.jpg

DSC_6356.jpg

DSC_6351.jpg

DSC_6361.jpg

DSC_6360.jpg

DSC_6357.jpg

DSC_6349.jpg

DSC_6324.jpg

DSC_6323.jpg

DSC_6318.jpg

DSC_6345.jpg

DSC_6336.jpg

As usual it came with a nice edge.

DSC_6334.jpg

I did a forced patina to go ahead and give the blade some protection here in a very high humidity environment.

DSC_4785.jpg

DSC_7192.jpg

As I said, the knife came with a nice edge and whittling fuzz sticks with it is a pleasure.

DSC_1095.jpg

DSC_1091.jpg

DSC_1093.jpg

I love the fullness of the handle on this knife, it’s really easy to control and really comfortable when whittle and carving. I made a new pot hanger.

IMG_7809.jpg

IMG_7814.jpg

IMG_7816.jpg

IMG_7817.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

The knife has been used during more than one fire starting experiment, and has helped me start more than a few fires since the cooler months finally came back around. This was from the discussion on using flint and steel with char-cloth to ignite wood shavings.

DSC_5761.jpg

DSC_5762.jpg

DSC_5763.jpg

DSC_5764.jpg

DSC_5765.jpg

This was just from me lighting a warming fire on a cool damp evening. I used a burled pine limb as a baton to bust up a pine knot for tinder and kindling to burn some wet wood after a couple of days of rain. I often find pine knot pieces easier to split from the middle than from the end so I have gently struck the pommel end of the knife with a baton a few times with no ill effects so far.

DSC_1099.jpg

DSC_1101.jpg

DSC_1114.jpg

DSC_1106.jpg

DSC_1117.jpg

DSC_1127.jpg

DSC_1129.jpg

DSC_1132.jpg

DSC_1133.jpg

DSC_1136.jpg

DSC_1147.jpg

DSC_1157.jpg

DSC_1160.jpg

Oh, and by the way, the pot hanger worked out pretty well :)

DSC_8670-1.jpg

DSC_8675c.jpg

Last edited:

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have to admit I wasn't too keen on the handle of the first knife you showed a while ago, thinking about it, I think its because of the big "target" lanyard hole that draws the eye back to it every time you look at the knife, and the handle material and colour, that I'm not too keen on. However there is no doubting the overall shape of the knife, it is a very sweet and attractive design. Looking at the website again I see he has done some with just wooden handles, and they are just "up my alley"

How many do you have now, and any chance of a group shot?
Great review once again...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
really lovely looking knife there, i like that a lot.

just one question, what's "spalted O1 tool steel", it's not a term i've come across before.

cheers

stuart

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Nice set of pics , thanks for the effort and sharing !

Thanks Dan, glad you enjoyed the post!

I love your knives, I am always sooooo jealous when you put these posts up :)

Thanks, not trying to cause any jealousy, just trying to do a review on a knife made by one of my favorite knife makers.

fantastic pics and a great looking knife thanks!

Thank you glad you liked the thread!

I have to admit I wasn't too keen on the handle of the first knife you showed a while ago, thinking about it, I think its because of the big "target" lanyard hole that draws the eye back to it every time you look at the knife, and the handle material and colour, that I'm not too keen on. However there is no doubting the overall shape of the knife, it is a very sweet and attractive design. Looking at the website again I see he has done some with just wooden handles, and they are just "up my alley"

How many do you have now, and any chance of a group shot?
Great review once again...

We all have different tastes, and that makes the knife world more diverse and interesting,, but I like the Bullseye lanyard hole...even though I never use a lanyard on small knives. Andy actually does a number of different handle shapes and I've found all I've tried to be very comfortable. He also uses quite an extensive list of woods for handle materials as well as various phenolics. I happen to love the shade tree burlap micarta he uses too. I tend to worry about organic materials in my high-humidity environment, but I am thinking the next may be one of his more simple micarta handles.

I have had 5 Fiddlebacks in all (pictured below, never took a group shot, wish I had) and still have three. I gifted the K.E. Bushie to a friend in the UK and the Bushfinger went to a friend who is a survival instructor. The three I have give me a great range of use.

Hunter

DSC_4785.jpg

Hiking Buddy

DSC_7929.jpg

K.E. Bushie

DSC_0533.jpg

Machete

DSC_2308.jpg

Bushfinger

DSC_3591.jpg

Another nice one Brian! I think I'll be having a word with you later in the New Year when I'm a bit more solvent again.

Hi Simon and thanks! Just give me a shout whenever you like, always good to hear from you!

Great review fella. The knife looks an acquired taste, but I do like it. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I started watching Andy's work about 4 years ago and really liked where he was going with it. I have been extremely pleased with every one I've had and used.

really lovely looking knife there, i like that a lot.

just one question, what's "spalted O1 tool steel", it's not a term i've come across before.

cheers

stuart

Thank you. I think the spalting is some sort of etching he does that leaves a slight 3D texture in the steel. I like the forged look of it.

Beautiful blade and excellent pics

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the post.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great review, stunning looking knife, looks a perfect fit for my hands, I need one :)

Hope you've had a good Chrimbo Brian

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I'm going to back peddle a bit here and say that looking at the Bushfinger in the Our line section of the site and taking the fact that the picture and text don't actually match, so it's the picture I'm looking at, I really like that knife. Everything just works for me, the steel colour, blade shape wood and even the lanyard tube ;-) If I ever get rich enough to afford custom made, one of them will be on the list.
http://www.fiddlebackforge.com/ourline.cfm

We all have different tastes, and that makes the knife world more diverse and interesting,, but I like the Bullseye lanyard hole...even though I never use a lanyard on small knives. Andy actually does a number of different handle shapes and I've found all I've tried to be very comfortable. He also uses quite an extensive list of woods for handle materials as well as various phenolics. I happen to love the shade tree burlap micarta he uses too. I tend to worry about organic materials in my high-humidity environment, but I am thinking the next may be one of his more simple micarta handles.

Great review, stunning looking knife, looks a perfect fit for my hands, I need one :)

Hope you've had a good Chrimbo Brian

Hi Rich, had a great Christmas, hope you did as well! Thanks glad you liked the post, Andy really does make some nice knives.

I'm going to back peddle a bit here and say that looking at the Bushfinger in the Our line section of the site and taking the fact that the picture and text don't actually match, so it's the picture I'm looking at, I really like that knife. Everything just works for me, the steel colour, blade shape wood and even the lanyard tube ;-) If I ever get rich enough to afford custom made, one of them will be on the list.
http://www.fiddlebackforge.com/ourline.cfm

Yeah, that description actually describes the Bushfinger I had because it was the very first one. Andy made some slight changes to it after my report on it and though I got him to change the picture to more accurately show the knife as is now he hasn't changed the text yet. The end of the year has been really busy for him.

Andy's prices have gone up some over the last year, as material costs have risen and his work has gotten more complex, one of the reasons I am grabbing the ones I want while I can still afford his work lol. His base prices still are not bad for what you get but the more add ons the more the cost. Bolsters, and some handle materials are up-charges.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......I think the spalting is some sort of etching he does that leaves a slight 3D texture in the steel. I like the forged look of it.....

thanks for that. i'd assumed that the blades had a forged finish, they certainly do look that way, i agree that aesthetically it's very pleasing

stuart

werewolf won

Dec 28, 2011
United States
That is indeed stunning! Are the “pins” rods of micarta? I don’t recall ever seeing scales pined like that but it really add a nice touch of class.

Wolf

That is indeed stunning! Are the “pins” rods of micarta? I don’t recall ever seeing scales pined like that but it really add a nice touch of class.

Wolf

Andy uses a lot of different pin materials...stainless, mosaic, phenolic (micarta & G10), carbon fiber, etc. but yes I believe the ones on this one are micarta and carbon fiber. I like the look and they are holding up very well under my use :)

That's a cracking Brian , great pics aswell mate

Thank you, glad you enjoyed them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE