Hultafors trekking axe 800g?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Hi I am thinking of getting one as my first bushcraft axe it's only £26 so not a huge outlay but curious of anyone's opinion on them or alternates.

dave

Jul 5, 2013
lancashire
I got one of these for my first bushcraft axe and i love it. Many use it for splitting logs after cutting with bowsaw. Only downside to it is the sheath that comes with it is not very good at all. I am still trying to find a good replacement sheath.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I got one of these for my first bushcraft axe and i love it. Many use it for splitting logs after cutting with bowsaw. Only downside to it is the sheath that comes with it is not very good at all. I am still trying to find a good replacement sheath.
Someone on here was selling a few....very nice and a great price.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Great little axe, I've allsorts, including a cegga, but sold them all & kept this one. Topknot made a mask for mine it can be seen in my back posts.

Rob

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
It is nice to see some positive responses to this little axe/hatchet ? There isn't a lot of information in North America about them. I was going to get the classic but the head didn't look all that much bigger than my small forest, and this axe is listed here as a two pounder. I got a Husqvarna restamped Hults and I like it so much that I wanted something similar, but a touch heavier and longer. The version that I ordered is listed as 900g and twenty inches overall I believe. Hultafors AGDOR.

http://bigbeartools.com/store/#!/Hatchet-0-9-kg-20-inch-Shaft/p/25880154/category=6903541

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
+1 for love it. I got mine for £20 incl p&p about 6 months ago. Sharpens a treat & holds an edge. Can't see the need for a more expensive one.

All the best.

Sorry about the tangent fellas. As of late I have been gathering up a few more axes. What has been going through my head, an admittedly slow journey, is that we can find great axes without the fancy name branding. I came across the Husqvarna line which is sold in North American dealerships. These axes used to be supplied by Wetterlings and now Hultafors I believe. It also appears that Stihl sells a decent little hatchet through their dealerships also. And now I am waiting for a Hultafors AGDOR, another seemingly common but good quality tool. Yes I like high end axes also but if I can find a decent performer at half or less price of the fancy stuff, I'm all over it. Particularly when the more common pieces are basically at or near the same quality as the high end stuff. The irony is that the seemingly plain working tools are often restamped contract pieces coming out of the big name Swedish or German manufacturers. With a little touch up of the tool, I doubt that the wood will notice the difference.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE