Hultafors heavy duty and OK4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
im just amazed!... what you can buy for the cost of a set of scales!

i saw these and just could not resist seeing what £7 buys you?, a Hultafors heavy duty knife and out of curiosity also the OK4 with fire steel for under £16
i need to do some testing but first impressions i cant really fault them...

Attachments

• hult3.JPG
    hult3.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 68
  • hult5.JPG
    hult5.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 70
  • hult2.JPG
    hult2.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 70
  • hult4.JPG
    hult4.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 66
  • hult1.JPG
    hult1.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 65

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
They are outstanding value for money. I have a couple of Hultafors knives, so I think I can safely say that you won't be disappointed with yours.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The Hultafors heavy duty is beyond bargain value. It's comically cheap and brilliant quality!

I had one for a while before rehandling it for kicks. My brother also has one and several others, even though he's not interested in knives it is indeed his go to knife in the man cave and he likes it alot.

The grind is unusual, but you can easily change that acute secondary bevel with a small file and a pocket stone. And I love the handle, so few knives have proper sized handles these days!

Mark, I'd love to see you improve an already economical wonder knife into a work of art. Have at it bud.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
i bought two of the heavy duty knives so i could test one thoroughly. has a large secondary bevel but cuts well enough. has a larger handle than the OK4 but both are comfortable. i think the only thing id change is the sheath maybe a kydex jobby and square off the spine.
sound silly i know, i make knives for a living but regretfully just cant afford to keep them so... end up using a knife costing £7

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think Hultafors give Mora a good run for their money - and I have no problem with plastic sheaths on knives in this price range.

Dave

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Which one would be your preference Mark ?
i like them both, have ordered a few more to try, hultafors OK1, mora robust and a mora kansbol... all the cheapies
the ok4 has a smaller handle than the heavy duty and the ok1 has the same blade as the ok4 but handle of the heavy duty but a darker green.

i have quite large hands so prefer the larger handle on the heavy duty but the ok4 is still comfortable and has a softer ruberized grip which feels nice.
id take either.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
also the ok4 has a finer edge with a smaller secondary bevel which is better for carving, the heavy duty has a thicker edge with larger secondary bevel, a little more robust. the heavy duty blade is 1 or 2mm longer, both are are 3mm thick. the ok4 has a flatter spine so better at chucking sparks

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A guy with your skills can do a little bit of reshaping, polishing, rehandling and turn this ugly Duckling into a beautiful Swan!

I should say that the Hultafors are well liked in Scandinavia, and are usually sold just beside the Mora knifes, but are a little bit cheaper.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
qI3AC1H.jpg
2YUF9ZT.jpg
US4E3XL.jpg

Very old pictures of mine, but an idea of the tang atleast.

Robbi, get the hd. I cannot be beaten for value and if it is sk5 steel.. then that just makes it even more shocking how such value still exists. Epect to do some fine tuning to refine the edge and spine though if you want it performing better. Ad sk5 steel is great stuff, I'm sure they use the same steel on the cold steel bushman knives which are tanks.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
very comfortable handle on the ok4 just slightly smaller than the hd. the ok4 and ok1 have a finer edge. not a true scandi though as have a small secondary bevel. the ok1 has the same handle as the hd but the blade of the ok4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE