hultafors handle mod project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all . after lots of research whilst bed ridden with the dreaded flu. I have decided to attempt to mod or customize the handle my trusty hultafors heavy duty knife . I personally would prefer to use natural materials for the handle and any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated as would information and advice on materials and sourcing etc.

Thanks and kind regards.
Be safe.

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
IMGP7298red.jpg

I bought a couple of the Hultafors heavy duty craftsman's knives from an online trade supplier . Two knives and postage only cost just over eleven quid so its worth shopping around rather than going straight to Amazon. I had the intention of customizing them both but decided to keep one standard as the plastic handle is hygienic for preparing game at home.
The other (bottom in the picture) one represents my second (the second I'll admit to anyway ;)) attempt at making a knife handle(my first attempt is the holly one on the top knife) I used a piece of ash with antler ends. I fitted a copper disc where the handle meets the blade as the antler was a bit scruffy and some old leather from a pair of site boots in between each section. I had all the bits laying around as I'm a bit of a hoarder so its not brilliant cosmetically . Basically a walk in the woods should provide you with something to work with .
Sawing and chipping the plastic handle off wasn't too hard . The tang does not reach the full length of the plastic handle so I welded a bolt onto it and cut the head off. The metal is good and welds easily with out affecting the temper of the blade. Probably not essential but having a full length tang is good for peace of mind and the thread means you can use a nut to wind the handle on tight and then saw the the excess thread off when the glue used to hold the handle on has set . I used two part boat building epoxy as glue simply because I had some in the shed but I'm sure a decent quality Araldite-type glue would do .
No way am I an expert but at least you have one answer to your post which might provoke those with more knowledge to chip in .
All the best

Last edited:
Hi fella thanks for the input. I was starting to feel rejected lmao. :( ... Seriously though I really appreciate your reply .Your second attempt is exactly the result I am hoping for! I really take my hat off to you for your first effort as I have made a few walking sticks from holly, so I know from experiance that holly is a blooming tough wood to work with. I have started a prototype / practise handle on another hultafors blade I had attempted to mod (not great but hey ho).I think my main prob is gonna be lengthening the tang as I dont have access to a welder.
Anyway it would be great if I could keep in touch with you and pick your brains from time to time.
Stay safe.
Ste.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I do not think you`ll have to lengthen the tang if you do not mind the last 3/4 length of the handle being the same material. I have done a few blades with short tangs, and while they aren`t works of art they are holding with no problems. I find it easiest and fastest to baton the handle off with an old knife. Then when you have the blade you can follow any stick-tang handling method.

As for handle materials: pretty much any dry hard wood is good. Old furniture people throw out can be a nice source. If you use wood you forage yourself, hust make sure it is seasoned before you use it. Wet wood will shrink around the steel and likely split. If you split your wood into small bits seasoning will not take so long. Spacers can be made out of many different things as well. I have used coins and plastic from an old lunchbox. Also leather from worn-out belts (although personally I have trouble getting the leather spacers flush with the handle, but that may just be my inadequacy).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE