Hugo

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
"Hugo has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

THEIR: -

[h=2]their[/h]adjective \thər, ˈther.

: of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, agents, or objects of an action <their furniture> <their verses> <their being seen>
: his or her : his, her, its —used with an indefinite third person singular antecedent <anyone in their senses — W. H. Auden>

[h=2]Examples of THEIR[/h]
  • All the furniture in their house is brand-new.
  • They are on friendly terms with their neighbours.
  • The students are seeking to exercise their rights.
  • The birds have left their nest.
  • The trees have all shed their leaves.
  • Their artwork is on display at the museum.
  • He was angry because of their arriving late.

[h=2]Origin of THEIR[/h]Middle English, from their, pron., from Old Norse theirra, genitive plural demonstrative & personal pron.; akin to Old English thæt thatFirst Known Use: 13th century

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
''Hugo has exceeded their'' should be ''Hugo has exceeded his'' right? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The forum does not know their gender Niels, in which case "their" is acceptable (rather than "his" or "hers")

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
At least he didn't write "there" :)

Was worried he'd died when I saw the title - whenever we get an email at work with someone's name as the title it's because they've passed away :eek:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
well done young man :) not one of us could have challenged or questioned you about your language :) excellent :)

That's what I was thinking.

I remember being seriously impressed listening to two Scandinavian colleagues (one Dane and one Swede) being very sarcastic with each other in English. They were old friends and had clearly grasped the subtleties of English in that respect.

Good spot Niels!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE