How's this supposed to work then?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't know what's wrong with you guys - I've ordered a matching pair, one for each hip. Gonna get holsters made up, then I'll be the kiddy, eh? :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just think; some poor blighter's going to find that thing in his Christmas Stocking :rolleyes:
I sincerely hope it's not anyone I know.

N

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not entirely sure. :)

Winkler does have an axe called Combat Axe, which looks a bit more sensible if into that kind of thing, http://www.winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=160&big=yes

Though I notice the handle material goes up past the beard, so would have problems with splitting wood etc.

"Elite Operators" huh? <snorts> :)

If I want to know what a fighting axe looks like - I look to the axes that were really used for that purpose. They look like small light axes or tomahawks as a rule - nothing much about spikes and fancy edges (other than those intended for use against armour which might have a spike like a footmans pick.

Anything heavy would take too long to recover from a swing. anything with spikes, angles and doodads would get fouled up in stuff.

Oh - and wood handles are lighter :)

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Combat against what? Humans, what else?
There are a number of special operations troops who use modern incarnations of the tomahawk, both as a breaching tool and close combat weapon. They have designed them as they wish , based on years of experience. They are not for cutting wood or whittling spoons nor for use by any here. The axe in the OP is not one of these either.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...which might have a spike like a footmans pick..."

iqzipX0.jpg

"do you bite your thumb at me sir?"

:)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
"Elite Operators" huh? <snorts> :)

If I want to know what a fighting axe looks like - I look to the axes that were really used for that purpose. They look like small light axes or tomahawks as a rule - nothing much about spikes and fancy edges (other than those intended for use against armour which might have a spike like a footmans pick.

Anything heavy would take too long to recover from a swing. anything with spikes, angles and doodads would get fouled up in stuff.

Oh - and wood handles are lighter :)

Yeah, or like the billmen... wielding bills, essentially what we now call slashers (billhook on long handles) to swing and try demount horsemen. The hook was supposedly effective in snagging on armour and dragging the rider out of his seat.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pole arms were really peasant's agricultural tools on long hafts. From the slasher/billhook, to the hooks that pulled down burning thatch from roofs.
Schiltrons were trained phalanxes of men who could (and did, Bannockburn is a classic example) take on and beat a mounted army.
They literally withstood a charge, howked the knights out of their saddles and once they had them down, they butchered them.

King Edward complained to the Pope about the Scots being uncivilized :rolleyes:

Same tactics used by the Welsh, the Flemish, and the English too agin the Castillans.

Not just the pole arms though; the men were armed, and again, trained, with good sharp side axes.
Lots of historical documentation for it all.

M

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I love this site. Someone posts a picture of something for chopping zombies and herbs...then I learn what a schiltron is!

Z

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Funnily enough I've seen our tasteless friends across the pond buy into things like this. I believe theirs are from a custom maker that this guy ripped off and really expensive too..

I reckon SAMON should get one and see what he make out of it......there might even be an axe hiding in there somewhere.....maybe :confused:

And I do hope I never have to try and make an axe from one of them! lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love this site. Someone posts a picture of something for chopping zombies and herbs...then I learn what a schiltron is!

Z

Well, y'know ? Shinies, cut down wooden sticks, decent cordage and knots, and good sharp axes :D
Is that tactical bushcraft or not ?

M

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
The axe is actually used in foraging wild food, and normally comes with a matching hammer. The convoluted side blade is used for chopping down wild basil plants and the curved end blade is used like a mezzaluna for finely chopping the leaves to make pesto. The hammer is used for crushing pine nuts - I'm joking, never saw anything like it before :) sorry!

Edit: I'll get me coat .... :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE