How's the weather ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Changeable here today, dry with bright spells and a slight breeze, it did get up to about 2°. A bit different from yesterday, took the dog out for a pee at 7, breakfasted etc; and went outside again an hour later to find it snowing with about 2" already fallen. The rest of day was miserable with more snow showers which occasionally turned to rain accompanied with wind, still, the mountains look lovely today!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Same here. Grey, overcast, smirr and cold. Really dreich and dark late into the morning and back again by late afternoon.
I was out shopping with a friend most of the day, and I was so glad to get back home.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wet enough here mid afternoon to make the roads around the South Downs treacherous with flowing water, gravel, leaves and sticks. I experienced my first aquaplane in the car. I run it on Grabber AT tyres, so not the best at sweeping water off the road and hit a very wet section that had a long puddle at the edge. The car was yanked left and then sort of floated a couple of yards before getting it’s feet back on the road again. Disconcerting to say the least, I decided against taking the van over to the guy that was going to fit the diesel heater tomorrow.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My goodness have we ever had some of the wet stuff today! The river is close to over topping and we have 3 more days of this forecasted. Looks like a soggy weekend ahead.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Swift changes from 12-18" snow one day to drippy melting the next. Biggest house icicle was not 36" long before it broke.
Not knee deep in my yard. I fed the Ravens, all the road kill was buried for a few days until the wolves and cats dug it up again.
Today was +2C and slushy streets, new plowing and the berms are no more than 8' high along the streets.

My Firestone Alpine tires are really good in the rain, don't lift off at 110kph,
which is as fast as I care to go on mountain highway ice in the winter.

That last big snow fell on top of a very weak layer now 60-150 cm down. The risk of slab avalanches has become extreme.
If you can do 90 mph with NOX boost and you see it coming, most sleds can outrun avalanches.

Heliskiing really starts after Christmas. Crescent Spur has holes in almost every tour for one or two new people.

Reactions: Nice65

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
At 13:30 here yesterday it was as dark as it usually is at 3pm...and by 15:30 it was dark. BLEUGH!! and raining....double Bleugh!!

Drove home around 6pm and got hit with rain so hard that max speed wipers barely kept up and we were all down to 25mph, on a little 2-lane B-Road. This morning drove through two huge puddles of the 10" deep variety and skirted the 2-3 feet of standing water bordering most of the 12 miles of the B440 on the way to work.

All this water had better be making its way to re-filling our aquifers!

As miserable as it is, I am glad I am not in Australia...will take rain and dark over heat and smoke any day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's dreich. It's darkly overcast, it's been raining earlier so everything's sodden wet, but it's surprisingly warm for this time of year.
Not a fun day out though.

We have around 1foot snow now, maybe little more snow. Its been like that for many weeks maybe ten or so. But it is also windy so much of our snow gets blown off the land into drifts. and day temperature of -12c, and night down to -19c. No sun for some days now. Much colder weather to come in some weeks time.

All our rivers and lakes are now frozen and good for travel.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hope your homes stay dry down South, I really do. It's bad enough that our Winters are usually dark and wet, but flooding's a whole other thing entirely.

@Joe tahkahikew
Your Winters sound harsher than ours, but in some ways I think frozen hard is easier than alternating just above and below freezing wet and mud.

At least the daylight will stretch out from now on though :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well there was a tornado in Chertsey near London this morning. We are on flood alert here and with two rivers, one bordering each side of the town so we have to cross one or the other to get out. I think I'm gonna ask santa for a canoe:) :) !!!!

Reactions: Joe tahkahikew

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Extremely bad travel across southern BC. Got even worse over night.
Rock slide closed #1 and was 85cm heavy wet snow by dark yesterday and more to come.
Highways closed. Even more as is necessary to shoot some avalance cornices then clean up.
Snow like sugar today, just brush it off. Maybe -5C.
Have a good solstice, everyone.

Reactions: Joe tahkahikew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE