How versatile are Hedgehogs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Due to the heavy winds last night, before retiring for the night I went out to check the lock on the gate, as I did a hedgehog scurried across my path, past my feet, this got me wondering, my house is detached and well fenced to the rear garden on both sides, so the Hedgehog could not have come from the back garden, the front of the house is completely surrounded with a wall and wrought iron fence, the front gate has 3 steps leading up to it.
The distance from the ground to the top of the low wall, at it's lowest point is about 18 inches, the steps to the front gate are about 9 inches and there are 3 of them, I am now wondering if the Hedgehog is trapped in my front garden?.
I went out today and scoured around looking under the bushes, the palm trees, and basically anywhere it could be hidden, and I failed to find it.
Is it possible for the hedgehog to get itself out of the garden, despite the height of the wall and the steps?

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A full sized adult hedgehog can certainly pull itself up a 9" step; so, if your steps are that sort of height, I would suggest that was his/her escape route :)

Edit: they have much longer legs than we generally think.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Thanks for that i will still keep my eyes out for her/him just in case, I was a bit worried it may be stranded.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I heard them described as able to climb well on a nature documentary once. Not talking soloing el capitan just a reasonable climber for its size.. also its able to run around at a fast as a human can reasonably walk before it becomes a run. Amazing little animals I think and what a snore!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE