How to unhaft an axe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have decided to put a new handle on my little hatchet, not because it needs one, but because I want to. I want to fit something a little bit longer and crafted to fit my hand and make anyone else uncomfortable :)

Thing is the head is on very tight, exactly how does one remove the head from an axe?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw the helve off flush and then drill out enough the helve within the eye to push the waste wood out. A pillar drill and clamp is helpful

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Saw the helve off flush and then drill out enough the helve within the eye to push the waste wood out. A pillar drill and clamp is helpful
I support this approach....with enough holes in the central area you can the use something like an old chisel or screwdriver to split out the remaining wood. It's worked for me ;)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Or simply put it in the fire. No electric. No drills. Just nature.

No way. I heated the tang of a Bill hook to red hot in order to burn it into a handle once, and considered that was not the best thing to do afterwards as the heat may have spread to the blade enough to damage the temper.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Forgive me because this will sound rude.

Getting the handle off an axe is very simple - saw it and drill out - as people have said (and quite rightly don't burn it out).

Making and fitting a new handle is not easy and requires quite a bit of skill and nous - well to do a half-decent job it does.

If you don't know how to do the first of these things, how do you hope to achieve the second?

I know we all have to learn, and the best way to learn is to do it - or try to, but I am slightly concerned you have not yet thought this through.

Like I said - this probably sounds rude, and I'm sorry.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am confident that I can make a handle can't be harder than making the handle for a walking stick. In any case I will not attempt removing the head until I have all but made the handle as I need the hatchet to do that, it will make it's own handle. Of course it is only a car boot hatchet, not a precious gransfors bruks, so if I get it wrong I just have another go, I guess the most difficult part is ensuring that the new handle is as tight a fit as the old one.

In the meantime I have a fork which also needs a new handle, but it is off to the hardware for that one, I might see if they 'ave any o's while I am at it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, and ruin the axe while you're at it.

Trying to burn a handle off can ruin the temper.

Best stick with drilling out the wood.

I've heard this; but dozens of old loggers and farmers I've known have never had a problem with it. Nor have I. However, drilling is easier to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I guess the most difficult part is ensuring that the new handle is as tight a fit as the old one.

In the meantime I have a fork which also needs a new handle, but it is off to the hardware for that one, I might see if they 'ave any o's while I am at it.

Forkandles?

Fitting an axe helve is easy if you are patient. If you haven't got one, buy a decent wood rasp - by far the easiest way of doing the job. You will see them in many of my pictorials.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are making the handle from scratch, don't do most of the shaping until it is on the head. That way you can make final adjustments to the shape of the handle, to ensure it lines up with the axe head.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well I have had a go at it today and I have to say it was the devil of a job getting the head off because there was so much metal in there in the way of nails, wedge, and a fencing staple.

I can see now where the difficulty lies, not so much in shaping the handle as in ensuring the blade is not crooked. I am going to soak the head in mollasses now, before I fix it in place.

But if you're out in the forest or bush and far from home when your axe handle breaks you won't have drill with you.

You don't have to drop it into the fire and make it red hot. Just hot enough to burn out the wood. No problems with having to re- temper either if you do this.

I have had to do this sometimes when out on hunting trips. Its a common method we use.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But if you're out in the forest or bush and far from home when your axe handle breaks you won't have drill with you.

You don't have to drop it into the fire and make it red hot. Just hot enough to burn out the wood. No problems with having to re- temper either if you do this.

I have had to do this sometimes when out on hunting trips. Its a common method we use.

It's common over most of the continent here TBH. As I said earlier, I've never had a problem with the temper, not have any of the loggers or farmers I've known.

For those who worry about such things, the normal way to avoid it is to simply push the edge inti the ground up to the handle and build the fire over that.

Haggis

Nomad
You could cut the helve off flush with the head, soak the head and the bit of remnant helve in water until the grains swell; this crushes the wood fibers in the axes eye. Once it has swelled as much as it will, set the head in a warm sunny place. With average luck, the crushed bit of helve in the eye will simply fall out.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The way I've done it was to cut it off flush, drill it through the hole a few times then use a parallel punch to punch the bits out.

Doddle and doesn't knacker a chisel in the process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE