How to take the family on longer walks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I am trying to encourage the family out into the strange world of "outdoors". I have had some success in getting my two girls (aged 5 & 7) to switch off the telly and come out for a walk, and they were actually quite excited about geocaching. The problem is that about 45 minutes into a walk one or both of the girls will invariably chime up "Daaddeee! I need a wee!" Now, if they were little boys I could just point them at a bush and they would enthusiastically make a competition of it. But being girls, there are anatomical complications that must be overcome. :dunno:
Can anyone offer advice that will enable us to venture further afield?
Z

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, my daugher (age 7) has been peeing outdoors since she was out of diapers (with diapers it makes no difference). The technique appears to be a pants down squat (pretty much the same as you would do when taking a dump). Teach them to consider gravity (i.e. if you pee uphill it will flow downwards towards your shoes, which is ok with wellies, but perhaps not with sandals).

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
To be honest I agree with Forestwalker at the age your children are they would be ok to have wee outside as he says. Obviously you need to be aware of who is around i think you need to instill this into them at a young age or it WILL become an even bigger problem when they get older. My daughter now nearly 14 will if absolutley required and she can wait no longer go of somewhere private while we all keep a watch out. As does my wife!! though my wife would warn you about wood ants!! lol.

The shewees are good (not that I have tried them!! ) but for kids they might end up wetter than not using them my wife has only just got the hang of them.

Geocaching is the way to go to get the extra miles or a cafe etc etc!

Hope you get sorted anyway. Alas there is no miracle solution to the .... Daaaaad I need a weeeeeeee for young ladies.

Andy

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Yes, from the point of view of toilet stops the earlier you encourage them to go outside the better.

My daughter has been going since she was old enough to walk and has ablsolutely no worries about it at all, and is learning to be a bit more discrete now that she is 9 :eek: She can hang on for a while until the shrubs offer a modicum of cover. I have learnt to hang on for hours :eek: My niece on the other hand will not walk any more as she may have to go, and just can't get over the mental block of going outdoors.

As has been said, squatting is the best method, with knickers round the knees so they are above the gravitational pull. They would probaly benifit from using a small tissue aferwards, so take a little bag with you to put the used ones in to dispose of later as it doesn't degrade if you leave it lying for a long time.

This is the one time skirts are actually a help for females, as they provide instant cover.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ok I suppose its squat training for the little-uns! The skirt aspect is interesting as it probably explains why skirts persisted as female attire after the invention of trousers!

Thanks all.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE