How to stop sleeping mats from sliding around?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was just thinking of ways to stop modern lightweight air filled mats like Exped synmat and downmats from sliding around on modern tent groundsheets. The idea I have is to get some silicone and stick beads of it to the underside of the mats. Anyone try it? Anyone know what product to use?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I know a few people who've done this very successfuly; a dab in each corner and a few up the sides, and it seems to last, as well. As far as I remember they used cheap bathroom sealant.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dish of soapy water, a paper towel and a small tube of bathroom silicone sealer.
Run a skinny bead on the underside of the mat. Wet your finger and smooth the bead into a thick stripe.
Go around the edge and a gigantic 'X' in the middle. The silicone can't stick to your wet finger.

I have some very good kitchen cutting mats that skittered around the bench. Not any more.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I just knee jerked it, trying to avoid having one more thing to pack and carry.
Having things skate around on my kitchen counter tops really pushes my button when I want to focus on food prep.
It ain't a Luge track and people are hungry.

I love that mesh slip/grip stuff. Have used it for years on my wood carving benches. Buy a roll >> 16" x 24" pieces. I use both black and white.
When it gets really crapped up with dust, you can wash it in the sink with hot soapy water, wring it out and hang it up to dry = good as new for sticky.
I cannot tell you how much moisture it might wick up on a tent floor. But I agree +1 with Nice65 = your bed won't move.
Actually works rather well as a drawer liner in the kitchen, too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks for the ideas.

I got given some non-slip mesh stuff once. My parents swear by it for their motorhome. Pain carrying an extra item if we're trying to go lightweight though. Think I'll try the bathroom sealant or those Lakeland strips. Although living near to the original Lakeland shop I hate that they're overpriced and do tricks like sell kitchen clingfilm holders with free roll only for you to find out it's a funny size so you have to buy their overpriced cling or ditch the holder. They do a lot of those trick so don't be fooled by neat gadgets and things from them.;)

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
If you have a bivvy bag simply insert the matt inside the bivvy with your doss bag on top of it. This way you will always be sleeping on top of the matt.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In a tent, family involved and current bivvy bags owned won't take the Exped mats without affecting loft. Besides family holiday not roughing it. Young child involved. I used to do that myself wildcamping under a tarp. That was a short TAR or CCF cut down to torso length and width. The last option was about 80g after i took the scissors to it. Add in the 600g quilt, 230g bivvy, 160g-isg tarp and 6 x 6g pegs it all got a bit silly weight-wise. My rucksack was either 1.1kg or 600g depending on how much food is needed. Food cook kit very light too.

Became obsessive but that was when single. Family forced a different approach. If I'm not careful the SAS would pity me the load the family would have me carry. That's why we're mostly car camping!

The silicone sealant looks a good option or the Lakeland sticky pads. I'd heard of silicone before for this but didn't think ordinary diy stuff is enough. I'd been thinking of something made for the outdoors and no doubt expensive too.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I saw someone before suggest the seam sealant you get with some tents, a few dots of it on the bottom.
Hadnt considered silicon sealer myself. May need to aquire a tube at work tommorow and do my own bag/mat. Though from past experience, ill have it everywhere :eek:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Trig: that's the reason for the soapy water = the silicone won't stick to your hands at all. Just stay wet.
I have 7 seams to do around 4" diameter stove pipe sections. Over the years, I guess practice helps.

You can make your own rubber stamps with that stuff. Find a piece of tree bark with a nice pattern of
beetle larvae tracks on the inside surface. Clean it well. Soak it in the soapy water and shake off the excess.
Butter it with a great smear of silicone and come back tomorrow to peel off your rubber stamp pattern of bug tracks.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Trig: that's the reason for the soapy water = the silicone won't stick to your hands at all. Just stay wet.

Oh i know that. Just i would need to take a bath in soapy water, and then give the house a coating as well. I tend to be banned from mastic and painting. :lmao:
Got a tube today however, gonna try get some of it on my sleeping mat while im at it.

Interesting idea about the bugs

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Have fun with it.
We had a decade of mild winters so the Mountain Pine Beetle population exploded.
We have 18,000,000 ha standing dead pine which isn't worth the chainsaw gas to cut it down.
Each species of bark beetle makes a distinctive pattern of tracks in the inner bark surface.

I made 4 silicone rubber stamps, they all turned out really well.
Unfortunately, I am of the age where I have sucessfully hidden them on myself.
Even hard to remember to have a look for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE