How to start..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrMonster

Mar 7, 2010
Luton
Joined this forum a few months backb ut never made anything of it because college work made me too busy but now i'm back :)

Basically i'm 17 years old and have loved the idea of living with nothing but 3-4 tools for a few days but i've never known how or where to learn..

Was just wondering what tips you would give me to get into bushcraft, what things I should learn first etc.

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi and welcome.

You will get lots of reply's Im sure but here is my take on it.

1. study. Ray Mears, this forum, ask questions etc..
2. kit. Tent etc..
3. location. Woods!

The trick is to survive outdoors with minimal tools and supply's while not trashing the location doing it. Many people go out make a natural shelter or three and then realise they have no tree's left and no other nearby woods =( Always burn dead wood, stick to the tent not natual shelters and you can enjoy your woodland location for years to come.

MrMonster

Mar 7, 2010
Luton
Thank you MSkiba.

Could you recommend any books for example that'll be good for studying?

I have myself a little Victorinox Pocket Knife which is a start for the tools I guess I just need to look at tents etc.

And lastly, what's the law (or guidelines) that involve me going into any woodland? Do I have to get permission from the council for example before camping/cutting things?

Thank you :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
In terms of law you have to get permission from whoever owns the woodland to be able to camp, light fires and cut anything down - this could be a local farmer who has a patch of woodland or a local bushcraft school if there is one.

Books
Mors Kochanski's bushcraft (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-O...1222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286178398&sr=8-1)
Ray Mears' essential bushcraft (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-B...9710/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1286178406&sr=8-5)
Ray Mears 'bushcraft (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-R...r_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286178459&sr=1-15)
John 'Lofty' Wiseman's SAS survival guide (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294)

Mors Kochanski book is very in-depth and if you want to learn true bushcraft then that is probably the one to go for, both of Ray Mears' books are written more for the modern man and have a lot more about modern equipment and many more colour photos and then John wiseman's guide is very basic but will tell you how to stay alive.

I started out with Ray mears essential bushcraft and the SAS guide and that did be just fine but eventually I wanted to know a bit more about actual bushcraft so I bought Mors Kochanski's book.

Just learn a bit that you can find online (try searching 'bushcraft skills' in google), learn how to stay warm, fed and alive; find somewhere you can stay and then go for a night out. Once you know you can be safe doing it then go do it - you'll have a great time and you will learn a lot more from doing things than what you will read in a book.

Hope this helps :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
MrMonster, bushcraft is a huge subject and there aren't many people who can claim to be proficient across the board - skills from leather craft to natural navigation, firelighting to plant & tree identification, knife makers to fungi experts and many more besides.
Find a topic or two that hold real interest for you, and research all you can about them, and I can virtually guarantee that that research will spark an interest into another direction and so on until you're hooked.
The best research is done in the company of others, so try to get out with a local group if you can, we're normally a pretty welcoming bunch of people - so don't be affraid to speak to people and ask any question you have.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I completely agree with Ogri the trog, I started by just wanting to get away for the weekend, and play with the skills i saw on Mr Mears tv progs, which then lead me to read about which trees for what use, then to foods then and preping them then on to tools now im playing with spinning wool and learning knitting from the Wife, there are so many differnent skills to learn it can seem abit wood for the trees, but if you think about what you want to achieve ie spending a weekend under a tarp, then figure out wht you need to get there it can help to break down the knowledge into bite size pieces that will be eayser to find, there is a welth of hints tips and experiences on this site alone,

but the biggest single piece of advice i can give is to have FUN! after all isnt that the point of life,

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well said to all totaly agree with all thats been said. ive taken the fire craft and blade makeing rought and totaly love it.(when i get time...lol)

ref your kit start basic, get a good pair of boots a water bottle and some comfortable clothes. you can use old bean tins to cook in if you have to, jsut be careful with your pocket knife if the blade does not lock when doing stuff, the blade may close on your fingers if your not careful. i would say buy a mora clippa knife with a carbon steel blade, they are great to learn with cheap as chips (£10) and with it being carben steel it will teach you 2 things:-

1) how to look after your knife as it will rust.
2) you can use it for lighting a fire to.

you will find very quickly that most things in bushcraft are dule use.

im rabbiting on now so just one last thing, be safe in whatever you do, tell your family where you go and when your due back and always have a back up plan just in case.

enjoy all that you do now you have "The Bug".

regards.....

chris.........................

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Joined this forum a few months back...

Welcome! :)

...17 years old and have loved the idea of living with nothing but 3-4 tools for a few days but i've never known how or where to learn..

Was just wondering what tips you would give me ....

You're doing the right things already, and you've already had some outstanding advice.

Get out there and have a go. Might be worth taking a pencil and paper to note the things you find (or find you that don't have, and would be handy:)). It's probably worth getting something like a small exercise book. You can get expensive waterproof ones or you can get a cheap one that somebody threw out and a polythene bag. I'm of the polythene bag persuasion. :) I'm all for reading up on stuff (there's a wealth of information on the Internet but you need to be selective) but it's a lot easier to grasp some of the stuff you'll read if you have some personal experience to relate to what you're reading. It's easy to read about staying warm, dry and comfortable while nodding sagely to yourself, but unless you've spent a Winter's night in wet clothes on a hill in Wales the advice somehow doesn't make the same lasting impression.

There's a lot of talk here about kit, and of spending lots of money on it. Most of the time it really isn't necessary. You can buy a Blueflame lighter for nearly fifty quid or a disposable Bic for 20p and they'll both save your life if you need a fire. Your Victorinox will probably do all you need for the rest of your life but if you're like most of us here you'll probably end up with a collection. Don't let it get in the way of the enjoyment, it's easy to get hooked and forget why you're doing this. By a very long way the best time I spend is out in the woods, alone except for the (other) wild creatures. Being alone isn't everybody's cup of tea; there are a lot of meets arranged on this forum, so if you're looking for adventure see the Meets section. :)

If you know a local bobby, let him know what you're planning to do. He'll be able to set you straight from the legal point of view and being more conversant with the law than Joe Public he'll have more immediately relevant advice than we can give. Basically nobody is going to trouble you if you're considerate, sensible and try not to attract a lot of attention to yourself. If the reverse, you can expect to wear out your welcome very quickly and give the rest of us grief in the process.

If you're not already familiar with identifying trees/plants correctly then I think that is a great place to start. It will also get you out in to the woods to practice and you'll start feeling more comfortable in those surroundings.

MrMonster

Mar 7, 2010
Luton
Thank you for all the positive, welcoming comments!

I'm trying to arrange a camping trip with my friends for this weekend, alright the weathers not perfect but i'm just going to spend the night out in the cold in a tent and see how I get on. As long as it's not offputting i'll continue onto some of the advice given here, such as identifying trees.

A question though, what is a good place to go to (webpage) or book to read to for identification of trees/plants and to see what is best for what purpose such as firelighting, carving etc.

Thank you!

Oh and edit: I am not old enough to yet purchase a blade so i'll have to stick with the one I have. And the area I come from is renowned for knife crime and due to my age and appearance i'm very skeptical about taking it out as it could potentially get me in some serious trouble.. :S

Last edited:
Thank you for all the positive, welcoming comments!

I'm trying to arrange a camping trip with my friends for this weekend, alright the weathers not perfect but i'm just going to spend the night out in the cold in a tent and see how I get on. As long as it's not offputting i'll continue onto some of the advice given here, such as identifying trees.

A question though, what is a good place to go to (webpage) or book to read to for identification of trees/plants and to see what is best for what purpose such as firelighting, carving etc.

Thank you!

Oh and edit: I am not old enough to yet purchase a blade so i'll have to stick with the one I have. And the area I come from is renowned for knife crime and due to my age and appearance i'm very skeptical about taking it out as it could potentially get me in some serious trouble.. :S

The books mentioned above are good for uses of different woods - 'Bushcraft' by Mors Kochanski in particular, from memory. I'd definitely go for 'Essential Bushcraft' by Mearsy as well as it offers a good overview of bushcraft and is well presented and illustrated. For tree identification, there are loads of books out there. I bought this one, which has served me pretty well and has loads of pictures to help you: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Com...6859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286242021&sr=8-1

Not too sure about web sites for tree identification but I'll bet there are loads out there.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Collins Gems are good little reference books, light and small enough to fit in your pockets to take with you anywhere. There are ones for tree identification, mushrooms and free foods amongst others. You can pick them up pretty cheap too from Amazon or a second hand shop. Pick a topic that interests you and it'll lead you to 20 more interesting things. For your first time take plenty of warm clothes and supplies and if you enjoy yourself- take less the next time ;-)

v-ness
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the
things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
Mark Twain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE