How to sprout seeds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The grocery store dried seeds are hit and miss.
Got the feeling that sometimes, the seed was hot steamed ( = dead) then dried. eg Chick peas/Garbanzo beans.
The mung bean seed is live and usually quite fresh in our bulk food section.
Untreated wheat (sprouted then baked in breads) is just about impossible to get here.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you get 'live' bird food seed mixes, RV ? and can you shelter some wheat growing long enough to ripen ?

I picked out wheat, barley, rye from ours and sowed it in patches where the birds wouldn't get to it. It grew, and I saved the crop. I know that crop is not treated with fungicides or pesticides, or anything else. I sow some of it every year and it sprouts well :)

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Toddy I managed to order some sprouting seeds by phone today from the company you put the link to. Thank you very much. (My bank balance is now £ 15 lighter ):)

Reactions: Nice65

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry about the bank balance, but the seeds look great :)
I hope they do well for you, and that they're tasty too !

Did you get the mixed sets ? I've been eyeing them up again.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes I got both mixed packets and alfalfa.... they are having a run on alfalfa particularly so order soonest!
They are lovely people to talk to on the phone. The sort of way I like to do business if I can't do it face to face.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My chai seeds have begun to sprout!
I didn't think they would. Been hanging around the kitchen for two years and are supposedly out of date. I'll post a pic soon.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The germination % begins to slide, right from harvest.
At work, I could get "outdated" bags of cleaned and ready-to-plant pine seed for free.
Germination % might be 75%. Fresh, it would have been 95%+ and $5,000 per kilo.
Replanting greenhouses can't afford that kind of waste space with dead seed.

What I'm really looking forward to is the ginger root. It has 1" sprouts on it already.
Must break it up and into some dirt this week. I'll see a 4' grass and dice the leaves like green onions.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well my seeds for sprouting have arrived. Made the postman leave on doorstep.
Detolled the packaging before bringing inside and left to dry in the bath.
Crazy precautions but I'm taking no chances!
Looking forward to opening it and getting the seeds going.
Just eaten the last of my cress. Wish I'd thought to order more of that but stupidly forgot. Plenty of mustard left so I'll be having mustard and cress ... but without the cress!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE