How to Set Fire to Sixty Two 7 & 8 Year Olds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yikes…!

I’ve been asked, or more to the truth, I’ve half volunteered to do an Iron Age fire lighting demonstration at my daughter’s school next week…!

I’ll be using flint, a steel and char cloth and be making little fires. (All being well - gulp)

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can make it a bit more authentic and captivating for 7 and 8 year olds…? The curriculum being covered includes castles in the Medieval Times (hence the link with Iron age) and Rocks and Soils (hence the use of flint). I used to coach sailing, but my public speaking skills are a bit rusty, so I’m feeling a bit nervous.

HELP……………hc

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
That's a long Iron Age to reach into the Mediaeval Period! :D

Wayland recently posted a YouTube vid of him demonstrating flint and steel in Saxon kit, might be useful. Got any mediaeval garb handy? :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hah, been there, done that :D

First question to ask of an unsuspecting Teacher / Jannie, is, "And how good are your smoke alarms ?" :rolleyes:

After the initial panic :eek: , they calm down a bit and let you explain that you're teaching historical fire skills......and it's fun, and yes, if the weather is good, it'd be better outside :D

The thing is that kids come in three varieties; those who learn by reading and then doing it for themselves, those who learn by watching & listening and then going for it, and those who only learn by doing.
The common denominator is that they will all want a go, even the hang back ones who say they don't. :)

Take more stuff than you think you'll need.
Take more kinds than just the flint and steel...........even lots of different tinders helps, and this is a great time for them to gather stuff......thistle down, fireweed, dried grass.....
I found that children love the firebow, they find the firespindle frustrating, they will hit the flint until it's a rounded pebble :rolleyes: They love handling stuff like the fomes and betullina, the barks, the cattail heads and the like.

Take something to smother flames too, just in case, and if you are using flint and steel explain that those little sparks 'will' burn clothing. A welders apron is a good thing to have, besides, no apron, don't spark, it gives some order to the 'my turn'.

Other things that I found appealed were rush lights, pine splints, pinecones that have been sprinkled with chemicals like saltpetre (burn with pretty colours), fomes glowing away and blowing it into flame. A blow poker and let them blow on a lit chunk of charcoal and watch it feed the flame........fire needs oxygen, kind of thing.

I also found it useful to explain that in Winter time there's really only eight or nine hours of daylight, that it's not only cold, but it's dark. No electric light, candles are waaaaay too expensive for most folks, so firelight and rushlight and crusie lamps were the best most had. Explain the relevance of fire; it's heat, it's light, it's the cooker, it's comfort, it companionship around it......

How long do you have to prepare ? and do you have fomes ? If you need some, let me know and I'll send you some as well as some that's been broken out and is ready.
I'm sure that if there's anything else, if you ask, folks will happily help out.

Best of all, enjoy it :D The kids don't want a scared of them adult, you know your stuff, they know they're getting hands on something interesting, and at the end of the day your daughter will be chuffed to bits 'cos her Dad is cool :cool:

atb,
Toddy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Unfortunately fire like knoves is demonised in schools generally and kids are terrified of getting burned nowadays so expect some holding at arms length etc.
Most kids I have taught fail due to fear of being burnt at first.

Thanks all - Very useful and encouraging. No outfits as such, but I have something in mind.that will help with the overall effect. I'd seen Wayland's You Tube video which is very professional and inspiring. I'm not in his league yet.

Still brainstorming - It's on Friday so I hope I get my act together before then.......hc

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Toddy's advice is great so heed it well,
I've done session for 4 & 5 year old upwards and its great fun. A few things to ponder.
When demonstrating, consider the wind direction so they're not squinting through smoke to see what is going on.
When your fireball catches flame, make sure to mention that it won't immediately burn your hands - but you will have to place it safely down very soon - that stops one child throwing a burning nest over someone else (possibly you) when it comes to their turn.
If they are hesitant, or if anyone is anxious about the whole deal - hold the nest in your hands and walk along a line of children getting them to blow into it as you go past.
Great peace-of-mind can be portrayed by having a FAK on your belt as you begin your session - possibly enhanced by a bucket or two of water easily to hand.
Don't forget to mention to parents that they'll need old clothes that they won't mind smelling of smoke.

I hope it goes well, and let us know after the event

ATB

Ogri the trog

Reactions: Toddy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I also found it useful to explain that in Winter time there's really only eight or nine hours of daylight, that it's not only cold, but it's dark. No electric light, candles are waaaaay too expensive for most folks, so firelight and rushlight and crusie lamps were the best most had. Explain the relevance of fire; it's heat, it's light, it's the cooker, it's comfort, it companionship around it......

Suggstion: have the teacher turn out the lights (draw blinds, etc), perhaps even before you enter the classroom. Explain that this was how things would have been after <mumble> PM in midwinter, talk about it all the way back to the paleolithic, about the far north (daylight 9 AM to 3 PM around here, e.g.). Talk about cooking food, heating your house (we use around 25 m^3 of firewood; you could stack at at least six Volvos in that volume) Strike a flint, light a candle/lamp. Start your class on firelighting.

(And my beard survived!)

Many thanks to all of you for your advice. It was a great afternoon spent sitting on my Herdwick sheepskin on the school’s 10 foot tall chestnut and willow story telling chair.

All 62 children seemed delighted with the demonstration and I am quickly attaining cult status. As a treat at the end of the demo, almost all of them had a go sparking up a modern “Light My Fire” steel which is easier and quickly gratifying for the youngsters.

All 6 fires lit without a problem. The fire Gods were on my side and poignantly we were looked upon by two large ash trees. It's going to be a good Equinox.

Some of the corkers were:

(On seeing the buckskin scraps in the presentation bowl of various tinder I gave to the school) A girl asked where I got this funny rubber from.

I had a set of fire bellows with me for the kids who didn’t want to try the fire steel. It’s made out of a whole tortoise shell. This quickly sparked an amazing debate on death and hunting. You won’t believe how influential urban parents are on their kids!

(On asking what the skin was that I was sitting on) One boy yelled at me, “How dare you kill a sheep – It’s my favourite animal.”

Thanks again all…….hc

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
I see that as an opportunity to say something about how using every bit of the animal is how our ancestors would have done things and as long as we do the same and keep traditions alive we are honoring them in a way people who buy their meat from the store never can.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Would it be safe to assume the child in question and his parents are vegetarian and dont wear leather shoes etc,

I did type out a mini-rant here but decided better considering my uncaffeinated state had a lot to do with it. Suffice to say if vegetarians start mouthing off to me about me being bad because I eat meat I ask them where they buy bread that didn't involve animals being shot so the wheat was actually there at harvest. Then about the 'environmental impact' of leather substitutes etc.

Good work Heltor! What's the next demo, cooking over a fire? :D

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
A few years ago I was at a weekend 'festival' which had an awful lot of the 'Islington set' glamping it in a field in Surrey. To be fair, it's a great little private event, but there are some really up-their-own-bums towny types there.

Anyway, I'd snurgled over to the hog roast to sit downwind of the newly-basted pig :) when a glammed-up city mum and her two Boden-clad kids walked past. Her son pointed out the pig, and she put her hands to her mouth in horror: "Oh, that's just awful, how could they? You remember that Damian Hirst exhibition we went to? This is just needless, at least that was art".

My, how I laughed...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm vegetarian, pretty much vegan these days.

Now you're all worried :rolleyes: :D

No issues over it, I'll dress, prep and cook meat, fish( if i've got anti histamines), fowl, probably even manage amphibian and insect.
But,
It's not food. Well, not to me anyway, it's something dead and just, no, I'm not eating that.

I am a very firm believer that if someone is going to eat meat they ought to really understand just where it comes from, but that's my only rant about it.

Lot of vegetarians feel the same way, please don't tar us all with the holier than thou bunch.

"Art" ? :eek: "Art" ?? :soapbox: that's a travesty :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I am a very firm believer that if someone is going to eat meat they ought to really understand just where it comes from, but that's my only rant about it.

Lot of vegetarians feel the same way, please don't tar us all with the holier than thou bunch.

"Art" ? :eek: "Art" ?? :soapbox: that's a travesty :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

I don't know if that was at all intended in my direction, I hope I didn't give the impression that I consider all vegetarians to be the same because there's not much that could be further from the truth. If I offended you Mary (may I call you Mary?) or anyone else by any such unintentional implication I apologise. It's the 'holier than thou' ones as you so well put it that get my back up, especially the ones that will hapilly wear petroleum-derived leather substitutes and eat food flown in from half-way across the world while they're lecturing you on why killing animals is 'evil'. (Mind you I find hypocritical meat-eaters even worse -- those sorts that are happy to much on turkey twizzlers and the like yet tell me I'm an evil sadist even to consider shooting a rabbit for the pot.) I completely agree with your statement. One of the most irritating things I've ever heard was 'I like meat but only when it doesn't look like meat, because it reminds me that it's from an animal.' I had to leave the room...

:soapbox:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, I didn't take it that way, it's just that sometimes the anti veggie stance needs a wee nudge too. :)
I wouldn't put peanuts through a nut allergy sufferers food, or onions in Waylands, I ask that folks don't put animal bits in mine.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said though, and though I don't eat meat I am well aware of exactly what died, and how, to provide it.
Alive one moment and on the way to being dinner the next, I have no problems with, I will protest the ill treatment of any animal, and that includes mankind too, but I would consider that respect for any life...............maybe not clegs, I have issues with clegs, couldn't be cruel to them, you understand? but I could happily wish them extinct :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Jan 4, 2008
doncaster
Ive met a few holier than thou types myself , on both sides. For me it comes down to respecting life in all its forms. A plant grows from seed using stored food , it takes up water and food , grows, matures, procreates and dies . If its lucky !!! if its a foodstuff it does all of the above untill it matures when its ripped out the ground , starved then either boilled alive or cut up and steamed to death .
I once had a friends vegitarian teenager have a pop me for eating meat , so i asked how its worse than getting ****** out of bed by the hair , blasted by a cold water hose ,starved for a few days then boiled alive !
How we treat and respect our food is whats important not what it is. ill treatment in the industrial food system should be our concern not playing god.
Anyway rant over with . Just like to say i respect other peoples choices so im not anti vegaterian and this isnt aimed at anyone its just my opinion.
Any hector ,good work !!!!sounds like everyone had a good time , its amazing what the little ones pick up and how passionate they are about thier beleifs isnt it!!! sometimes almost gives me hope for the future. Almost !!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting first post :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum and the virtual campfire, and secondly, though I would rather we contained the topic to another thread, might I point you in the direction of a book called, Diet for a Small Planet. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

The school kindly took some photos. Am I am blatantly showing off? Well maybe, but I really wanted to show you the school's 10foot tall story telling chair made out of sweet chesnut. Making me look like the World's smallest fire lighting demonstrator. Hurrumph...hc

FireMaking002.jpg

FireMaking010.jpg

FireMaking019.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE