how to repair hole in drybag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
has anyone any reccomendations for permanently repairing a hole in a drybag, i have an outdoor designs drybag that has a matchbox size hole (through melting / too close to stove / careless) just underneath the top-edge where it rolls down, i have temporarily used gaffer tape on the outside but it refuses to stick to the inside, as funds are exceptionally low at present i would like to repair if possible instead of buying new, but would like some permanent reliable repair, it is in an area where it takes regular handling being constantly rolled up and down so gaffer tape keeps coming off, any suggestions?, what glue would be ok, suppose it needs to be pliable and waterproof.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a pack of patches from Millets to repair cagouls and the like. Cost a couple of quid. The patches were 15cm x 8cm and were ironed on to fuse to the fabric. Something like that would probably do for a more permanent repair.
Seam sealant glue on a scrap of an old cagoul or other waterproof fabric would probably work well too.

You can't be the only person to have damaged one though, someone else is bound to have sussed out good repairs.

cheers,
Toddy

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i would glue a bit of material to over each side of the hole and maby stich it aswell but im not sure what sort of glue you would use:confused:

pete

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
My dry bags are all vinyl and vinyl repair is dead easy. You only need a vinyl patch and vinyl adhesive.

Cheechako

Apr 1, 2007
Bridgend, South Wales.
A chipmunk chewed a hole in one of my drybags while I was looking the other way...
Fortunately, I had a Tear-Aid kit in my "essentials" box and it worked a treat. Just cut to size, peel the backing paper off and stick to the inside. Job done!

Dave.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
All the above are good suggestions but...

The best and simplest way to repair it is to use McNett Tenacious Tape. I've load of patches on mine, still waterproof, still working.

Put the tape on the inside, press down to smooth out any bubbles. Keeping a small bit of this stuff with you in your kit is invaluable, repairs tarps, tents, bivvies, etc. etc.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Had a look at the Alpkit dry bags? The most expensive one they do is the 35lt at £7.00 and that's including delivery. IIRC the next one down is the 20lt at £5.50 delivered.

Feel free to beat me about the head here if I'm wrong, but if you're going to spend five or six quid on a repair kit you might as well just buy a new one right?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
All the above are good suggestions but...

The best and simplest way to repair it is to use McNett Tenacious Tape. I've load of patches on mine, still waterproof, still working.

Put the tape on the inside, press down to smooth out any bubbles. Keeping a small bit of this stuff with you in your kit is invaluable, repairs tarps, tents, bivvies, etc. etc.

Thanks for help mick miller, I have never heard of ''Mcnett Tenacious Tape'', is it like gaffer tape, gaffer tape refuses to stick to inside of drybag though it will stick to outside but peels after a short time so is unreliable, i will look for tape suggested, any ideas where available, thankyou for your suggestion.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks for help mick miller, I have never heard of ''Mcnett Tenacious Tape'', is it like gaffer tape, gaffer tape refuses to stick to inside of drybag though it will stick to outside but peels after a short time so is unreliable, i will look for tape suggested, any ideas where available, thankyou for your suggestion.

It's available here for £3.95. Whilst it works out the same for 1 new dry bag the uses for this tape are many and varied, I've repaired waterproofs, tarps, tents, bivvy bags, dry bag and ponchos all with the same, short length of tape bought all those moons ago. It'll stick to most surfaces provided they are clean and dry, but allows you to peel it off should you wish to make a better repair when you get back. I've left mine on for over a year and it still seems to be fine and doing the job intended...

Hope this helps.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Had a look at the Alpkit dry bags? The most expensive one they do is the 35lt at £7.00 and that's including delivery. IIRC the next one down is the 20lt at £5.50 delivered.

Feel free to beat me about the head here if I'm wrong, but if you're going to spend five or six quid on a repair kit you might as well just buy a new one right?

Thanks reply Jambo, just looked at Alpkit site, my drybag is 50 litres but the alpkit one is only 35 litres and would be too small, i was hoping repair would cost less than buying new as funds are seriously low and every penny counts right now, of course if repair was more expensive than buying new it would be idiotic to repair which is why i asked for ideas. Thanks though.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
It's available here for £3.95. Whilst it works out the same for 1 new dry bag the uses for this tape are many and varied, I've repaired waterproofs, tarps, tents, bivvy bags, dry bag and ponchos all with the same, short length of tape bought all those moons ago. It'll stick to most surfaces provided they are clean and dry, but allows you to peel it off should you wish to make a better repair when you get back. I've left mine on for over a year and it still seems to be fine and doing the job intended...

Hope this helps.

Thanks again mick miller, just checked it out and it looks ideal, i shall get some to try it out, i always carry a bit of gaffer tape when out but this looks even better. Your help appreciated, thanks.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Still carry a little bit of gaffa, it's uses are almost enless! My own repair kit features gaffa, sewing needles and threads, and the McNett tape. I can fit this into a canister a little longer than a film canister and wind the gaffa round the outside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE