How to remove rust from a blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
Hi there guys

Hoping someone will be able to suggest the best way to remove rust from the blade of one of the knifes from the Frosts Mora range

Cheers

Jack

:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's a discolouring of the metal.

Best example in copper coinage... it starts off bright and shiney and goes a dull brown over time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just a blackish mark where the rust has eaten into the surface. Not sure of the science behind it but I've found it's a swine to remove without taking a stone to it.
Nothing to worry about though and it gives your blade a bit of character anyway.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Depends on what you want to do with your knife. WD40's probably not the best if you're going to be carving a spoon or a meat skewer etc, but fine for non foody stuff.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you've been out and got it wet, try and remember to give it a dry as well before you put it away for a couple of days. Dry it and then oil it.

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Also, I seem to have noticed the the more polished surfaces of my knife are less likely to pick up any rust than those that aren't finished to as fine a grit.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
A patina on a blade is a coating of iron oxide (similar to rust, but obviously a different colour and it isn't structurally damaging) and itself is the best rust preventative measure that can be taken IMO. It will prevent rust, won't come off with normal use, is food safe, and you don't have to do anything to get it but use the knife. It will be much more effort to remove it and keep removing it as well as removing any rust spots than just let the patina develop and help protect against rust.

I'd recommend against veg oil because if it soaks into the wood, soaks into a leather sheath etc it can stick around long enough to go rancid. I use vaseline for blades, as it's non-toxic and will stay on as already said. Lanolin (the wax/grease from wool) is a good natural alternative, as it's also non-toxic, hypoallergenic and won't go rancid. I smeared vaseline on a rag, stuffed it into a mint-tin and just open it up and give the blade a wipe when necessary.

Hope this helps,
Pete

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I'd recommend against veg oil because if it soaks into the wood, soaks into a leather sheath etc it can stick around long enough to go rancid. I use vaseline for blades, as it's non-toxic and will stay on as already said. Lanolin (the wax/grease from wool) is a good natural alternative, as it's also non-toxic, hypoallergenic and won't go rancid. I smeared vaseline on a rag, stuffed it into a mint-tin and just open it up and give the blade a wipe when necessary.

Here here! The chances of the tiny quantity of mineral oil you'll transfer to prepared food (which will, like as not, pass straight through your digestive system anyway) doing you as much harm as the potential bacteria hanging around in off vegetable oil (which will, like as not, make you feel as though the whole World has passed straight through your digestive system) are pretty slim IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE