How to recondition very old leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Any suggestions?

I found a very old leather shoulder bag at a flea market, I am led to believe that it was made during the nineteen twenties or thirties. The leather is in very good condition with very few cracks or tears however it is now very stiff.

What is the best way to soften it up? Which polishes/oils (if any) should I use.

Thanks.

:)

bag_001.jpg

bag_002.jpg

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Maybe soak it in warm water (but no soap or anything)? This should not harm leather.

Just make sure afterwards, when you dry it, that it dries slowly and not in the sun or by the fire. Also work the leather softly to make it suple.

But better wait till some leather work experts arrive.

What kind of leather is it?

Mike

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nikwax do a leather reconditioner which I've used to salvage some pretty crusty boots before.
It has a sponge applicator which makes easy work of covering and then just remove the excess and give it a quick buff.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd give it a good clean with saddle soap before getting any conditioners on there...

leon-1

I'd give it a good clean with saddle soap before getting any conditioners on there...

I have to agree, but saddle soap is a lot more than just a cleaner. Saddle soap contains a mild detergent, beeswax and Neatsfoot Oil.

Saddle soap can in it's own right clean the leather as well as replace some of the oils that will allow the pouch to become more supple and then protect with the beeswax.

If saddle soap doesn't get it supple enough I would then use mink oil or mink paste on it, leave it for a while (24 - 72 hrs) and then buff with a clear polish.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thats a great looking bag you got yourself there. Some lovely touches on it. I like the pipe work on the edge, Very nice. I hope it comes up good for you.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Neatsfoot oil for softening would be my steer too - but then clean with sadlesoap to keep it that way

Red

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Clean with saddle soap, then after drying apply uncolored shoe wax. Do it 3 times wait every time till the wax has been absorbed, that should help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE