How to recognise the right wood for the job

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 29, 2006
Colchester, Essex
I am a newbie to camping a campfires and will soon need to know how to recognise hard wood from soft wood. In order that I dont burn all my fuel in one foul blow but I do actually get to sit by the fire at least for a little while ! Any help would be most appreciated. BTW I am going on a one day hike on the south downs way and if any one has information on this as well I would be equally as grateful. Just to set your minds at rest, the fire is not actually going to be on the downs but in an allowed campsite :)

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
sedwardson said:
I am a newbie to camping a campfires and will soon need to know how to recognise hard wood from soft wood. Just to set your minds at rest, the fire is not actually going to be on the downs but in an allowed campsite :)

Are there any trees left to burn ? softwood is lighter that hard wood if both are dry ?

softwood = pine trees = green in winter
hardwood = all the others = no leaves in winter

well thats not realy true but it is a start if you have no idea at all but each type of wood burns in a different way. fresh cut oak (green) almost wont burn on its own but seasoned oak will drive you away from the fire because its to hot. Silver birtch will burn fresh or seasoned but it will burn fast not much heat but helps other woods burn. Ash is problay they best all round wood burns well leaves little mess.

best go buy a pocket tree guide and just learn one each day. end of the month you will be telling us :)

David

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Pick it up and see what it weighs. Obviously if it is quite heavy it'll be a hardwood, to varying degrees. Get a few sample peices and see what they weigh.

The best way would be to recognise the tree.

if you have a bit of time, experiment. With a fire going, collect wood from trees near you and try burning and/or try burning it when its seasoned. That way you can learn the properties of the wood and what the tree looks like that it comes from without ever having to open a tree I.D guide, which you can do at another time. If you do it the other way, by reading the rhyme, i.d ing the tree and then going to find it, it will be slower and harder to do as not all the trees listed will be in your area (unless you are lucky).

Hope that is useful

Woodwalker

Mar 29, 2006
Colchester, Essex
thanks to everyone who responded to me and so quickly as well. It will take some time to actually go through all the great tips and ideas but i will endevour to do my best. Thanks again. :You_Rock_

Saskia

Mar 2, 2006
The Netherlands
Hey, nice topic. I was just making a list of tree species with their burning capacities. I've already read the poems, but the internet site posted by falling rain is really helping me. Thanks. :You_Rock_

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
sedwardson said:
I am a newbie to camping a campfires and will soon need to know how to recognise hard wood from soft wood. In order that I dont burn all my fuel in one foul blow but I do actually get to sit by the fire at least for a little while ! Any help would be most appreciated. BTW I am going on a one day hike on the south downs way and if any one has information on this as well I would be equally as grateful. Just to set your minds at rest, the fire is not actually going to be on the downs but in an allowed campsite :)

While I know my woods fairly well - while in the woods - it is more a matter of availability. Soon as we set up camp, I set out foraging for wood. Anything dead and standing, or dead and hung up (so it isn't laying on the ground) is fair game for firewood.

Our forests are different than those in the UK. They are probably somewhat comperable to the middle or north of Sweden and Norway, mostly conifers. We don't have a lot of oak, though we do have large amounts of ash, maple, and birch.

Things I watch for: Wood that the bark has peeled away from is more desireable than wood with bark on (bark retains moisture). Dead birch is generally a poor campfire firewood, unless it has been cut and split - though the bark is one of the best for tinder. Birch wood sucks up moisture (at least US birch does). Pine knots - where the rest of the tree has rotted away and only the knots are left - is very good wood unless it is too damp - even then - it can be used to good effect once the fire is going good - lots of resin.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Daniel Edwards said:
How about Willow, does anyone know how that burns?

That is the main type of tree where I go for bushcrafting.

It will burn. Nothing special to be on the lookout for.

Some very poor burning woods are cottonwood and basswood. As I mentioned in my previous post, dead birch is generally poor for campfire applications. As cord wood (cut and split) birch is an excellent firewood. Ash for cordwood works well dried and not too bad green (I heated one house we owned for a winter on green ash. Lot of creosote build-up, but it kept us warm).

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE