How to pronounce cu faoil (celtic).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
The celtic name cu faoil is the same as Irish wolfhound. How does cu faoil pronounce? Is "cu" pronounced "ku" or "su"? And how about the "faoil"? Me and my wife got two irish wolfhounds (and four whippets). One almost 8 months old and the other one is two months old. The first is named Ylva, which is the feminin form of Ulf (= ulv (=wolf)). The small one is named Freja (from the nordic mythologi). Thanx in advance! /Mimung

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I thought koo foil too but argued myself towards koo fa-oil but I also have no idea -
koo fayel it is.

Does anyone know if there's an accepted pronunciation of Cinchona? It seems that
it might be sing-kona but equally it could be sin / thin / kin / chin and ch / ch (as in
Scottish loch) / k (and then of course is it owna or onna :D)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I know c is always a hard sound, like k rather than like s. The precise sound of vowels can be very tricky - Gaelic speakers have accents too. Scots Gaelic is worse, because it was never properly standardised anyway. A lot of the time, even native speakers can't agree on how things are supposed to be pronounced. ;)

I suspect Cinchona should be pronounced kin-chona, with the ch like loch - but whether the vowels are short or long I couldn't say. Could be kine-chonay...

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
@ Floyd Soul

Eh.. How to pronounce "fweel"? In our book about irish wolfhound it only says cu faoil. /Mimung

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE