How do you pronounce Kuksa?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2010
yorkshire
How do you pronounce Kuksa? Had a Google around and found a suggestion in an old thread :

Kuksa : cook – sar

Is this correct, when I first read saw the word I pronounced it like this

Cu – as in cu-p
C – as in c-old
Sa – as in sa-d

Not sure of the origins of the word, Sweden? Is there any northern Europeans out there who can give a definitive answer?

Cheers :)

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I've always pronounced it cook sa, but when talking about them around here I'm not likely to get corrected on that, because I'm usually the only one who knows what it is!

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
I have to admit I had never heard the word before reading it in an english text somewhere. I'm from southern Sweden and here we call it "Kåsa". It might be different up north but I've still not heard it having spent quite a bit of time there. Kåsa is an old Swedish word though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuksa

Wikipedia had a bit about the origin of the word and you apparently have to look east in Finland for it or maybe to the Sami language (Guksi is North Sami). Looking a bit more I found a source claiming that the Russian language has a word that is similar for the same typ of objekt - a wooden cup.

FWIW

//K975

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
In finland we call it kuksa in 99,9% cases,but in the most upper north where theres norwegian/finnish/swedish sami folks,they use others too,like kasa.

but ive never ever heard anyone here calling those as kukska,kusa,kusa,kuhksa or what ever,it has just the 5 letters k-u-k-s-a.

its kind of fast word when pronounced,how to tell it....
hers one good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xt4lnf5kw

in 0:16-0:17 part of Bushmag´s (Hes partially finnish swede,knows for sure how to say it) he says the KUKSA before word Project.Listen carefully :pokenest:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think English folk have difficulty pronouncing Kåsa and finding å on the keyboard without cutting and pasting so we call them kuksa's, try not to pronounce the second k and you will not be far away.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I've always pronounced it cook sa, but when talking about them around here I'm not likely to get corrected on that, because I'm usually the only one who knows what it is!

this is bit like it yes,too.
but keep the OO part of cook very very short,like in the curse word thats also rooster:),you know,c-o-c-k.

and the -sa could be like in word.......hey now i know.....if you say Whats up,then in that you use it properly,the SA part of kuk-SA...

what´S Up ?

if you understand me,that is:lmao:

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I think English folk have difficulty pronouncing Kåsa and finding å on the keyboard without cutting and pasting so we call them kuksa's, try not to pronounce the second k and you will not be far away.

in most parts of norwegian and swedish lapland ive been to,especially in swedish and finnish parts of lapland,they use word kuksa,the kasa or kåsa and other kaså variants arent used so much.If you ask in our lapland to have kaso/kusa/kåsa/whetever,they are like "whaaat?":eek::lmao:,but that is most likely to happen in finnish territory and near finnish & swedish laplands borderlines where they say it like cook,with very very short oo.like if you shorten it to co-ck but dont say it like youre menaing genitals or bird,say it like youre meaning short cooking person:lmao:,and as you brits have that fine axcent,i suggest you try to say it like they say in USA(still,not like texans say,they pronounce everyTHAAAAAANG so lazy:) ).

if i only could say that the SA part of the word is as sharp and un-twisted like in word SKA,as that music style,but with out K.

anyways i linked in one of my replies that youtube vid where its said very well,and it works in sweden and finland just like that and you wont get long looks by saying odd kjuhk-sska´s etc.

just listen it carefully,the KUKSA comes just before he say "project", @ 0:16-0:17 minutes of that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xt4lnf5kw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE